• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1500 yd 338 Lapua OEM rifle

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
Is there any OEM 338 Lapua rifle that would be worth a crap at 1500 yds? Or are we talking full custom rig for the kind of consistency necessary?

Re: 1500 yd 338 Lapua OEM rifle

SAKO TRG-42 easy
Even with the best custom rifle you have to do your part in order to take it to its extreme capabilities

at 1500 even the best custom rigs will miss every shot with a novice shooter. Wind is a mother- I for one am still learning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any OEM 338 Lapua rifle that would be worth a crap at 1500 yds? Or are we talking full custom rig for the kind of consistency necessary? </div></div>

Even if it's a custom, it's not a guarantee shot at 1500 yards unless your target is the size of a tank. My AIAWSM 338 LM is very consistent. Here is a target at 1575 yards.
IMG_3518.jpg

It's a standard size human torso silhouette

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SAKO TRG-42 easy
Even with the best custom rifle you have to do your part in order to take it to its extreme capabilities
</div></div>

+50, The TRG42 will do 1500 easy, you just have to do your part. ie the loads and dope and you controlling your self.

Problem for most is the your part thing, including myself btw.

Some stock guns shoot good some don't.Do you feel lucky?!Most custom rifles do shoot good but will cost you plenty.

Yep,mostly the wind that will get you at 1500 yards.

Steve

TRG-42 or AI-AW are your two best options. The rifles are pretty much the same as far as stock fit goes. It just dependes on how fat your wallet is. Base price is the big differance. TRG around less than 3 grand, AI-AW around twice that price.

if it will shoot good at 1k i dont see why it wont shoot at 1500 especially with a 338 lm plenty of speed left to get there. like everyone else said you have to be able to do your part and the wind will really play with ya at those ranges

Don't forget about the McMillan TAC-338. They sell a turnkey rifle that'll manage 1500+ and it's made here in the USA.