• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

150gr FMJ-BT seating depth

kornface13

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Colorado
I load these Hornady 150gr bullets right at mag length, but I'm wondering why the cannelure is so far away. Anyone else use these bullets, and do you seat them to the cannelure or seat them like I have here?

1712506716181.png

If you aren't utilizing the canalure, you don't need it. Buy bullets without it.

Are you at or near the COAL in the manual for that brand of bullet?

The canalure is made to be crimped into, if you are crimping outside of it,I would expect a detrimental effect in accuracy.

Reactions: PEWPEWPEW
Overall answer, no. Why load to max magazine length? Was that your required outcome for accuracy/host? When you say load, is this something you have done before with issue or first time with this projectile/brass/load?
Interestingly, I can't find much load data for Hornady 150gr FMJ-BT bullets, but plenty for other 150gr BT bullets and those are pretty much always 2.8" COAL, so that's what I laod to. I don't have the Hornady manual. This load isn't new for me. I've been shooting these a few different rilfes and they're perfectly fine, I'm just curious because I can't find load data for these bullets and I also never see things ignoring the cannelure.

If you aren't utilizing the canalure, you don't need it. Buy bullets without it.

Are you at or near the COAL in the manual for that brand of bullet?

The canalure is made to be crimped into, if you are crimping outside of it,I would expect a detrimental effect in accuracy.
I generally buy whatever bullets are a good deal. And I had a big box of these leftover so I'm comparing them to some 168gr in my new AR10. None of my manuals have these exact bullets and most of the 150gr BT stuff available is 2.8". I don't want to buy Hornadys book just to find out that it doesn't even list 8208 or something.

Do you have any proof that crimping outside the cannelure affects accuracy? I'd need to see data on that before I beleive theres any impact at all. A bullet doesn't care about where you crimp it just because it has a cannelure. Also I'm not crimping, so not really much of a factor either way.

I seat mine at 2.780 but the cannelure always lines up. I DON'T have Hornady bullets, but I don't see why the cannelure would be THAT far off. I would suspect cases too short although they don't appear to be. OR the bullets are maybe 2nds or blems with the cannelure misplaced.

Another possibility I just thought of: most 30 cal FMJs are 145 to 147 gr for 308, but MAYBE bullets intended for the 150gr 30-06 M1 rounds would have a different cannelure?

I seat mine at 2.780 but the cannelure always lines up. I DON'T have Hornady bullets, but I don't see why the cannelure would be THAT far off. I would suspect cases too short although they don't appear to be. OR the bullets are maybe 2nds or blems with the cannelure misplaced.

Another possibility I just thought of: most 30 cal FMJs are 145 to 147 gr for 308, but MAYBE bullets intended for the 150gr 30-06 M1 rounds would have a different cannelure?
I found my email receipt. I bought them back in 2016, and they weren't seconds/blems. I guess they still could have been though. Maybe these are intended for M1...I definitely didn't consider that and I know nothing about 30-06 rounds so not sure if the cannelure is in a different spot.

I'm like 0.06" away from the cannelure, and my Lee manual has plenty of loads that are 2.7" COAL, so I guess this is totally reasonable to load to the cannelure. Maybe I should do some load development based on cannelure length. It was many years ago that I developed this particular load so I don't remember, but maybe I did it this way because the bullet jump for this length put me much more in line with what the internet said was ideal.

Last edited:
Hornady manual is 2.700 COAL for 150gr.No 3037.
I don't have any "proof". The canalure is made for the crimp. Disrupting the jacket is not supposed to be condusive to accuracy.. If you are happy with the performance then more power to you.

Hornady manual is 2.700 COAL for 150gr.No 3037.
I don't have any "proof". The canalure is made for the crimp. Disrupting the jacket is not supposed to be condusive to accuracy.. If you are happy with the performance then more power to you.
Thanks! I will most likely do a little load development for these seated at the cannelure and compare findings. I don't think i can resist now that I've done this post.

The cannelure is set for 3.185" COAL on a 30-06 if memory serves me correctly. As noted Hornady Data is for 2.700" which should put the cannelure in the correct place. No problem if you set to 2.800", just don't crimp.