• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Boon20

Smart like shovel
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have always found it help full to have one rifle with quality optic and ammo that will work good in any temp even when you dont use it much. When you need something to work that one rifle is always ready to go.

Always good to learn from mistakes and you have a plan to fix it already.

One question for you im a canadian so we dont have supressors no mater how much i would like one so whats involved with fixing a can after a strike is it something you have to send off to the manufacurer or is it something you can fix?

Agreed that this is something everyone can learn from. It’s one thing if part of your job is to R&D stuff, but for most of us it is a classic example of wasting too much of our time on the bow and not nearly enough on the Indian.

Pick one rifle, one optic, and one load that works in all conditions. Focus on getting good at it.

Two of the rifles I brought were T&E things, as is most stuff I deal with

But I was not actually gonna attend the event, I decided at the last minute

The can has to go back to the manufacturer to be repaired, if I bother at all, I may just shelf it

And to expand on my Bad Luck streak it continued today

So I go to the butcher shop at the end of my street, hit the place at least once a week for some meat. I walk in and there is one lady at the counter working and a guy in front of me ordering some ground beef and Ribeyes. I am at the cooler and pick out two items in the frozen section and stand behind the guy just off to the side. An old woman comes in and as soon as the guy finishes up she proceeds to cut the line in front of me. The woman behind the counter takes her order and clearly seeing I was cut ahead of asks if I just want the frozen stuff, to which I answer, No, I want two steaks also. Finishes with the old lady and takes care of me, saying nothing about it.

Okay, big deal, so I am leaving and had ordered Lunch at Snarfs via the App. So me and Fuzz hit the road, pull into the sandwich shop, and it's pretty quiet, maybe 8 people in there at the most. As I head to the line of bags for pick up my name is not there, and she asks if I have an Online Order, yes I do, Frank and she says it's coming right up and the other girls making the sandwich say, ya it's here. She finishes and says, Order for Frank and this guy next to me stands up and grabs it. and walks out the door. Thinking, he is possibly a Frank too I said nothing and waited. 3 people later the girl asks what I ordered and I said I think that guy took my sandwich.

Of course, he took mine, which is a joke cause he ordered a Vegan Sandwich under the name Rick and mine is nothing but meat. Jokes on him but the girls make me a new sandwich, and then proceed to give me his for my trouble.

But damn if this shit has to stop it's getting old

And to expand on my Bad Luck streak it continued today

So I go to the butcher shop at the end of my street, hit the place at least once a week for some meat. I walk in and there is one lady at the counter working and a guy in front of me ordering some ground beef and Ribeyes. I am at the cooler and pick out two items in the frozen section and stand behind the guy just off to the side. An old woman comes in and as soon as the guy finishes up she proceeds to cut the line in front of me. The woman behind the counter takes her order and clearly seeing I was cut ahead of asks if I just want the frozen stuff, to which I answer, No, I want two steaks also. Finishes with the old lady and takes care of me, saying nothing about it.

Okay, big deal, so I am leaving and had ordered Lunch at Snarfs via the App. So me and Fuzz hit the road, pull into the sandwich shop, and it's pretty quiet, maybe 8 people in there at the most. As I head to the line of bags for pick up my name is not there, and she asks if I have an Online Order, yes I do, Frank and she says it's coming right up and the other girls making the sandwich say, ya it's here. She finishes and says, Order for Frank and this guy next to me stands up and grabs it. and walks out the door. Thinking, he is possibly a Frank too I said nothing and waited. 3 people later the girl asks what I ordered and I said I think that guy took my sandwich.

Of course, he took mine, which is a joke cause he ordered a Vegan Sandwich under the name Rick and mine is nothing but meat. Jokes on him but the girls make me a new sandwich, and then proceed to give me his for my trouble.

But damn if this shit has to stop it's getting old

Been there before, and it sucks. Granted, walking into your garage and being able to grab a random selection of S&B glass is pretty sweet ;)

Goes without saying really that having a known or unknown defect in a system is painful. Even something correctable in software like a tracking error offset gives me the mental demons that always make me second guess the equipment. One of my S&B 5-25's had a small tracking error that bothered me to the point that I had to have it fixed. Had a H37 reticle in a 3-27x that is literally the worst purchase I have ever made. I consider both failures - 1 controllable and 1 not.

Being forced to "perform" with untested ammunition or without a dead-nuts zero is particularly frustrating. I won't even go into the sleep I've lost over other issues. Shit that no one would expect to fail - subjects pointless to post about without being called a nub or idiot. At least technically you weren't having "failures", just more of a compounding set of frustrations.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, hehe. Maybe you need a little vacation? No firearms, no site administration, no recording, no schedule... Frank-only time.

I appreciate the candor of that podcast being “that” guy. The rum and cigar smudge can’t hurt. Glad to hear 907 represented well. I did take away .3 CE SD at 1500 if I ever get that far!

Looks like that dark cloud is floating my ways too although not as stormy. Got a flat tire and spilled 20 oz of water on myself right after fixing said flat. This happened on the way to work where the water had not dried up yet. Cue jokes...

@Lowlight - I really appreciated the refresher this episode was about gear. I personally, and am sure this is the case with a lot of other newer shooters, have wasted so much time that I could've been shooting and honing my skills rather than chasing gear. I get a rifle and a budget optic and change it our for this and run after that to a point that I'm never out shooting. I've finally stopped and am having a full custom rifle. What is going on the rifle will stay on the rifle. I'm done spending as much as a custom rifle changing and reselling gear when I could have just ponied up and got a solid turn key system.

So thank you again for the refresher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lowlight
@Lowlight I would like to thank you for your candor regarding the issues you've been discussing. I think as a person in your position it would be easy to not talk about things and only focus on successes. However, hearing the issues you're working through helps so many more people than glossing over them and trying to look perfect. Thank you for leading by example.

I appreciate the guys that get it vs the ones who want to use it as proof to something negative

This is a very big mental game we play, the fact is, the bullet does not go where our fingers point like with most handgun engagements. We have to set up, test, confirm, and think about what we are doing.

Being distracted has a side-effect and a negative one that. In a way, it shows the equipment can actually be secondary if you have put in the time and effort, done your homework.

Fear the man with one gun as he may know how to use it.

I truly believe there are lessons to be learned here and the fact I can hang it all out for the masses should be a key lesson. No one is immune to bad luck or poor prior planning.

I am glad people get it, that I am able to relate the bad as well as the good, and by doing that hopefully I am highlighting the mistakes that can be made and what is needed to fix them. I have a luxury in the access I am afforded, not everyone has that, so learning from my mistakes should save people time and money over the long run.

All this talk about bad luck...... I appreciate Franks ownership of the role that his decisions played in that luck. Its a reminder for me that good luck is the intersection of proper planning and opportunity. It stands to reason that bad luck is the inverse.

Two of the rifles I brought were T&E things, as is most stuff I deal with

But I was not actually gonna attend the event, I decided at the last minute

The can has to go back to the manufacturer to be repaired, if I bother at all, I may just shelf it

I have a suppressor, but am very new to them. In the podcast Frank mentioned that he thought unburnt powder built up in the can was the cause. How normal is it for powder to make it out of the barrel? Does the powder have to be ridiculously slow for this to happen? Wondering if I'll have a problem with Varget in a 16" AR.