• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155-168 class bullets 300 norma 8 twist?

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
Curious if anyone has ran any loads like this. I have a 400yd range local and I thought instead of burning those 80 cent each bullets I was thinking just for general practice trying to work up a load with with some of my 308 bullets

I shoot the 178 ELDM and 168 HPBT
at shorter distances and they shoot very good.

Load Data: this is safe in my gun only...
Lapua brass
215m
87g H1000
178 or 168 moly
Fps 3220
ES 14
SD 10

Because I have a lot of 175TMKs and my BLM spot is closed for the summer, I worked up a load using N560 (which I also have plenty of) to see what it could do. It's easy to push them past 3200fps which gives them a PBZ of around 400 yards. I plan to use them mostly for friends who're not all that experienced with precision shooting but want to bang steel.

Awesome idea. There is no problem shooting lighter bullets. Might have to switch powders.

Related story- I won the skull splitting contest one year with a 165 gr Nosler ballistic tip pushed over 3400 fps out of a RUM. When they spin that fast, they destroy whatever they hit.

Reactions: oldiephrt
That was what I was curious about was how that 1/8 twist would affect the lighter bullets. I figured they would shoot though. That H1000 load is probably where I'll start. I have a pretty good stash of 155 scenar and 168 nosler CC. I bet they would be pretty rough on a whitetail at that speed too.