• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155.5 Fullbore loads.

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    Does anyone have a good load for Berger 155.5gr Fullbore bullets and preferably SW Precision Rifle powder or as a second choice Varget. Alpha Munitions LRP brass, Federal LR or Winchester primers.

Are they jump sensitive?

Factory Rem700 308 1-12 barrel

Years back, many, I worked up to a velocity of 2980 in my 26" Rock Creek barreled .308 Win using Varget with the 155.5 Berger. Several other shooters here also worked the beyond book area with equal success. Suffice it to say great bullet and powder match up.

Very hot but 47.2ish of varget always seems to shoot for me In many different rifles. That’s one that’s way over book so must work up carefully.

I finally got out to shoot the test loads I made with SW Precision Rifle powder.

I started at 43gr which gave a velocity of 2660 and ended at 46.3 which was over book max with a velocity of 2892.

I had no pressure signs even though the powder was starting to compress at just over 45gr. Accuracy sucked but I've been struggling with this barrel (factory Remington) so a new one will be ordered soon.

I've tested 8 different bullets ranging from 155 to 185gr and none have produced acceptable accuracy. Even FGMM 168 and 175 didn't shoot well.

Once I get a new barrel I'll redo the test and hopefully I'll have better results.

45.5gr 2208 (varget). 2650fps out of 16” barrel. They were happy pretty much everywhere in the seating department. Settled at 2.85” Coal. That was 120thou jump. Cheers