• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

155.5 Scenar Max load

jmtyndall

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Washington
I was getting ready to load up some rounds to do a little testing, and was going to follow the path I'd taken with 155gr sierra. In Winchester brass I loaded up to 48.5gr with no pressure signs with the sierra 2156 bullet.

Using Varget, I switched to lapua cases, so I lowered the max charge by .9gr to be safe. However, while loading up some rounds, I notice that 47.0gr is pretty compressed, and 47.3gr...well lets just say I can't seat the bullet to 2.800"

Is the brass/bullet combo that much different? I can't seem to find load data for the Lapua's. I found data for the Sierra's at the Hodgdon website.

What kind of charges are other people running with this combo? I've seen a couple of people's ladder tests where they find run all the way to 47.8gr, and are finding an accuracy node about a half gr before that(47.3gr). I know data found online isn't guaranteed to be safe, which is why I'm asking here for a sanity check.

Re: 155.5 Scenar Max load

I don't know guys, but 47grains of Bullseye sounds like fun!

Why care about which powder?

Fill the case and let her rip.......... Into shrapnel.

I used 46.2 of varget oal is 2.800
lapua cases an winchester primers for my palma rifle.
shoots great an run around 2850

memo

Just playing around one time i decided to check the volume of 2 different case manufacturers. Both .308win. Nosler seemed noticeably thicker than the Lapua brass but softer so i separated out by weight the whole lot of Lapua brass i had and the whole lot of Nosler brass. I then established an average. I compared the two averages by weighing them empty and then full of water. The average h2o capacity for Lapua was 55.1gr. And the Nosler was 54.1gr.

I would say both Nosler and Lapua are thicker than most i.e. Winchester or Remington. So it doesn't suprise me that you might see that big of a spread on volume. This was between two companies that make thick brass to begin with. I would imagine it would be worse if you compared Nosler and Federal lets say.

I wouldn't worry about it. I like Lapua brass its very consistent. Just start low and work up im sure you will find a load that works great.

If they are virgin cases keep in mind they wont hold as much as what they can once they are fireformed.

Epic fail on my part. Sorry. I am using varget, these are previously fired cases. How much variation is normal between fired and unfired cases?

I seat out to just off the lands and thats about 2.92 in my TRG, varget and lapua brass with the 155 scenar. I use 47.0gr. I think the bullet is just touching the powder. Works well and gets me about 2915fps when its 35 degrees out and about 2975-2990 in the summer. 26" tube.

CJG

I think the difference is my COL. Seems most people loading them .010" off the lands and still in the 2.9XXs, my OAL touching the lands is 2.835". Seating these .030" off the lands because the guy I bought them from said he couldn't get them to shoot until they were .060" off the lands. .060" off is REALLY short though, so I won't be going there.

My OAL is 2.960" give or take a bee's penis depending on meplat.

I find the Scenars appreciate being close to the lands if you want to do long range shooting. They still do fine with massive jump at short range, but i like to load everything as if they were for a competition.

I am using Alliant 2000mr behind the 155's. 50.5 grains of it, and have shot up to 51.5 grains but that was starting to get to compression.