• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155 A Max

colinhlavinka

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
El Campo, TX
I am loading 155 A Max in my 5R. I have found that my rifle has a very long throat. What have ya'll found these to shoot well at. Right at lands or jumping? I am still working on loads and just looking for advise to save time. The longest I can load to and still mag feed is about 2.840.

Re: 155 A Max

I am shooting those in a VLS-S. I've got them seated to fit in the mag box as well and they shoot great. With these factory Remingtons anymore it seems like they are throated so long you'll have to single feed them if you want to get anywhere near the lands.

155 Amax, 44.0 Varget, CCI250, Winchester brass, 2.185. I have not chronoed it yet, but I know it's probably a little slow. It's one of those sacrifice speed for accuracy loads. I'll probably try to bump it up when I have more time.

About to go to the range to try a couple more loads. Going between 46.4 and 47 gr of varget. Chrony is broken but I know they are pretty snappy. These are loaded at 2.900" OAL which puts them about .010" off lands. See what happens. I will be pissed if they shoot great because it means will have to single load.

shoot a ladder test until you reach MAX for YOUR rifle...

once you've determined max, back it down & load in .3gr increments working backwards until you hit a decent accuracy node.

work around this area in .1gr increments until you hit that sweet spot.

By working backwards you achieve two things. You max out velocity and hit accuracy at the same time. Dig?

Load to max mag length and adjust charge weight to meet your goals. This way you accomplish all three things at the same time..

1. max velicity
2. achieve accuracy node
3. still able to load from mag

155 Amax will jump or jam... They have shot great for me either way.

When using a stock remmy rifle I've found that a 2.82 - 2.83 OAL to be just about where the max mag length is.

good luck!

Just got back from the range and with 2.900" it was just sick how well these did. 47 gr varget with 2.900" is it. Now I will lenghten my magwell to accept. 5 shots in one hole. I knew handloading could increase accuracy but this is just crazy.

I load the 155 A-Max .010" off the lands, they shoot great with Varget. 1/4" 5 shot groups out of a 24" 1:13 twist Krieger.

I run them at .005 off, but have had them do well further off than that. I run 49.5 of Big Game at an OAL of 2.850 easily feeds from the Seekins Mags and gives a velocity of 2980 with an ES of 11

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot a ladder test until you reach MAX for YOUR rifle...

once you've determined max, back it down & load in .3gr increments working backwards until you hit a decent accuracy node.

By working backwards you achieve two things. You max out velocity and hit accuracy at the same time. Dig?

Load to max mag length and adjust charge weight to meet your goals. This way you accomplish all three things at the same time..

1. max velicity
2. achieve accuracy node

When using a stock remmy rifle I've found that a 2.82 - 2.83 OAL to be just about where the max mag length is.

good luck! </div></div>

Wil, you kinda touched on this in the box the other night.

How do YOU know from the ladder (or a round robin OCW for that matter) that you are the max charge?

Your method skins multiple felines at once it sounds like, so I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks Brother!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot a ladder test until you reach MAX for YOUR rifle...

1. max velicity
2. achieve accuracy node

good luck! </div></div>

Wil, you kinda touched on this in the box the other night.

How do YOU know from the ladder (or a round robin OCW for that matter) that you are the max charge?

Your method skins multiple felines at once it sounds like, so I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks Brother!

</div></div>

Start with a clean barrel, load about 15 rounds in .2gr. increments (go about .4-.6 gr. above max published load and work your way backwards .2 gr at a time) and load 5 rounds of a safe load with the same powder (to foul the bore).

As your are doing your ladder test, start from the lowest powder charge and work your way up through your ladder checking for pressure sings, whenever you see pressure signs, that's you max load. Never go down below the minimum published load.

When you complete your ladder test, you will find that some consecutive powder charges are going to group, that's where your accuracy node is, you can use the load in the center of the group (if shot 4,5,6 group, use the load for shot 5). Try this load and see how it groups, if it shoots lights out, keep it, if not, you can fine tune from there.

-X3M

I go a bit deeper than this, but Eric is right on...

I use the ladder test mainly as a pressure guide, but it serves the purpose of finding accuracy nodes as well.

Once I've determined my max load by, looking for swipes on the case head or stiff/sticky bolt lift, I back it down a bit (.3gr or so). I then load backwards in .2gr increments.

so lets say 48gr Varget is your MAX load.

load up 3-5 rnds of the following:

shoot these rounds at separate places on the target (or a different target all together) and see which one groups the best.

Let's say that 47.6 shot the best...nice & tight.

load up 47.5, 47.6, 47.7 (3 rnds each)

one will stand out.

take this load and stretch it out and ensure it groups at distance as well.

This method maxes out velocity and accuracy at the same time.

-Wil

I used the ladder test described above to work up a load for my 6BRX. This is what my 6BRX can do at 300 yards, 5 shots. 1" group
Work up to this load.

6BRX300yd.jpg

-X3M

That is damn good shootin. I am still tweaking a bit. I guess since it a 105 degrees outside I dont have to worry about ever getting any hotter and having any pressure issues. It is plum miserable out here.

Hey Aggie, I notice you're from El Campo, I was there about 3 or 4 months ago, I poured the slab for the Crossroads Oilfield Supply. There is a gunshop there on 59 south of El Campo, he had 1000 155 A-Maxes but he would only sell me 200, good guy though, he sold me 1000 CCI-BR2, good thing, I was almost out.

-X3M

I know the guy who owns that company. He has two twin sons who are crazy. R&M is a good shop. Ronnie the owner is a good guy. Have gotten some good deals over the years. Small world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aggie Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">X3 what is your load for 155's? </div></div>

Gun:
Winchester Model 70
1:13" twist Krieger barrel med. palma
24" barrel

Load:
155 Gr. A-Max
44.5 Gr. Varget
CCI BR-2 Primers
Winchester Brass
COL 2.870" .015" jump
.222" 3-shot group @ 100 yards
Velocity: I did not chrono this load, I work it up for a friend of mine but I shot lights out.
***Work up to this load

-X3M