• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 155 Berger VLD's & AR10

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
Went to the "range" today and shot a few rounds. I had a great load for the AR with 155 SMK's and other 150's that I have used in the past, so I loaded up 10 to shoot over the chrono. I ended up shooting only 5 over the chrono and the rest I tossed at a rock @975 yds. This is the first VLD I have EVER recovered. Definately moa, still a little work though. A lot of promise within a few tenths of a grain or a little seating changes.
100_3500.jpg

100_3501.jpg

100_3502.jpg

100_3498.jpg

100_3499.jpg

Re: 155 Berger VLD's & AR10

Will they fit in the mag? yes (just barely). Will they feed? Not without grinding away the reciever for the M4 ramp conversion. Otherwise, I believe they would just nose into the reciever on the way out of the mag. I might be able to fit a blob of epoxy onto the mag plate to elevate the bullet nose while in the mag.

I am tossing around the idea of rebarreling my 308 DPMS with a 260 chambered with a custom reamer that would allow 130 grain Berger VLDs reach the lands with a COAL of 2.85" to be able to run through the mag. I have had great luck with this bullet in my bolt guns and I would like to run it through an AR and be able to seat it where it likes to be. I realize I would lose a little case capacity over a bolt gun, but unless I want to single feed my DPMS I am restricted with the COAL shorter then most bolt guns. Any thoughts positive or negative on my design?

My DPMS is a 24 non-fluted barrell and it has shot some very nice groups but it is not consistent, thus the desire for a new barrel.

That sounds like a great idea.

Here's my take on the idea. (for what it's worth)

I plan on doing the same thing to my .308 at some point in time. To get the col I need for the AR, I need a shorter throat. To solve this, I ordered a reamer from PTG that has 0 freebore. In other words, no throat. I also purchased a .30 cal hand throater. This way I can cut the throat however deep I need on the AR, while still being able to chamber a bolt gun with a longer throat/col as well. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I will continue to buy reamers this way and get a separate throater for that cal.

Call Mike at Rock Barrels. He can do the barrel, extension, and gas port for you and If you are at all handy, you can finish the rest at home. If not, there are some really great smiths here that can do wonders with your setup. Good luck.

Eric