• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155 grain 30 cal Lapua or Sierra

dieselten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Between the Lapua 155 Scenar and the Sierra 2156 Palma, which bullet is more tolerant of jump to the lands? Can either handle .080-.100 jump?

Thanks

Re: 155 grain 30 cal Lapua or Sierra

What are you trying to do with it?

I bought 300 155 Scenars a few years ago, and went through all of them trying to get them to shoot. IMO, 155s in a .308 is a finicky little bullet with a weird Secant Ogive that I found to be very tempermental in regards to seating depth.

Some people love them, but I have found it much easier to get Tangent Ogive bullets to shoot, and even Berger VLDs with their hybrid type of nose.

I never bought another box of Scenars.

Anyway, is there a particular reason you chose to shoot 155s?

I've never had a problem with the 155 Lapua's shooting for me. 4 groove barrel or 5R rifled barrels. So far 4 different .308win. guns, one .30-06 gun and one 7.5x58mm gun. Got another two .30-06 guns going together right now and that will be the bullet I start with.

The older 155 Sierra's didn't fly as well in the wind compared to the Lapua's IMO.

I start my loads .010 off the lands. If the gun shoots I leave it alone.

With the last statement being said I don't care what type of bullet you are shooting. Every gun, chamber load etc... might want something different. I've seen bullets up to .060 off the lands shoot better than just off, touching or being jammed into the rifling and I don't care if it's a VLD type bullet or standard type match bullet etc....

The tangent type bullets seem more forgiving and easier to tune the load to the gun than a secant type bullet and that's why Berger came out with the Hybrids.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

The 155 is attractive to me because of the light weight and hi BC. I want to reduce felt recoil and still retain as hi of a BC as possible.

Thanks Frank.

Is the Lapua 155 a tangent or secant?

Is the Sierra 2156 Palma tangent or secant? (not the older 155 #2155)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Frank.

Is the Lapua 155 a tangent or secant?

Is the Sierra 2156 Palma tangent or secant? (not the older 155 #2155) </div></div>

I'm going to say the Lapua's are more Secant.

Cannot say on the Sierra's. Haven't had a single one in my hand at all. Haven't shot a Sierra 155 since around 2005.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Lapua_Scenar.pdf

Click on the link above. Bryan Litz just did a really nice review on the Lapua's.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I've shot the 155 Lapua through 2 different guns, one factory 700P with a 1-12" twist, shot little bug holes. (shouldn't have sold that rifle). But it funded my GAP with a 1-11.25" twist in a 22" barrel, which shoots them exceptionally well also. I just load them 2.800" and shoot. They like to jump just fine.

xdeano

I've shot plenty of both, and both are great bullets...assuming you are running the 2156 smk. I choose the SMK for price comparative to the Scenars, ease of loading, and the fact that there is very little real world difference between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sarge7174</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the Sierra 155's and they shoot very well in my rifle. However,the Berger 155.5 shoot great,even out to 1,000.
</div></div>

I love the SMK Palma 155s and you have no choice but to jump them. Like said above they work quite well even at 1000yrds.

2hi2iwh.jpg