• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155 scenar with tac??

midmoguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
Eastern KC
I was wondering if anyone has had luck with tac with the lighter 308 rounds. I would prefer to use varget or something else but given the current market and my large supply of tac I figured I might give it a try if others have had success.

I had high-pressure signs with TAC pushing 168s, at a very low charges (42.0 iirc)... barely above Ramshot's recommended starting charge. It's already hot here in Arizona, and TAC has been known to be temperature sensitive...

Whatever you do, start low. Hopefully it's cooler in your neck of the woods, and your results are better than mine

TAC with 155gr Scenars is my 308 load, haven't found anything better. I push 2900+ fps without issue.

I was wondering if anyone has had luck with tac with the lighter 308 rounds. I would prefer to use varget or something else but given the current market and my large supply of tac I figured I might give it a try if others have had success.

I've had real good luck with TAC on 155 Nosler Custom, and 175 Sierra MK in both my Savage and Rem 700 LTR. I got lucky and both rifles are shooting the same load:

155 Nosler Custom
Lapua Brass
Remington Primer
46.4 RamShot TAC
~2880 FPS
2.81" COL (Savage and 700)

175 Sierra Matchking
Lapua Brass
Remington Primer
43.5 Ramshot TAC
~2750 FPS
2.81 (Savage) LTR I had to run the COL a little longer to have it shoot as well 2.86"

No pressure signs and shoots extremely well in my rifles.

Mark

I run 45.4 grains of TAC under a Sierra 155 HPBT Matchking (the 2155 model, not the Palma). I get an average of 2,950 fps out of a Savage 10FP with 24" factory varmint contour barrel and they are very consistent with no pressure signs. I have never found TAC to be all that temperature sensitive like AZ.noob, but maybe I'm just too dense to see it.

I run 45.4 grains of TAC under a Sierra 155 HPBT Matchking (the 2155 model, not the Palma). I get an average of 2,950 fps out of a Savage 10FP with 24" factory varmint contour barrel and they are very consistent with no pressure signs. I have never found TAC to be all that temperature sensitive like AZ.noob, but maybe I'm just too dense to see it.

Muddawg has a point there, it could be my gear and not necessarily the propellant. I load 223/556 with TAC all year around without problems. Quite opposite really... TAC is my 'go-to' propellant for semi-auto 223s.

I had a decent TAC-based 308 load for a different rifle, but I never ran those in this time of year (getting hot in the desert now). I will say, the pressure signs I recently saw with TAC in 308 were with heavier projectiles (168s) than the 155s that this thread is specific to. I'll also say that, in my particular case, distance to the lands did NOT reduce pressure signs. I had pressure signs at .010 jam, all the way back to .030 jump.

Another observation... I'm using Winchester large rifle primers, BappeMS is using Remington primers. Who knows... there could be something there