• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155 Scenars for Hunting?

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Anyone used 155 Scenars for hunting? I know it's not designed for it, but I have a bunch of them (and really good field DOPE) and really don't feel like doing load development for deer season this year with a different bullet. Input appreciated.

-SBS

Re: 155 Scenars for Hunting?

From what I hear the Scenar is pretty hard and tends to rifle right through game without opening up much if any at all. Perhaps some one who has actually used them on game will chime in. I admit it would be kinda cool if they worked ok on game.

They are great for hunting. PGS on here uses them ALL the tie with great success.

This guy was smoked with a 139 scenar from my 260 at about 100 yards. It totally destroyed his heart, turning it into mush and making the blood the brightest red I have ever seen. I think they work fine. However, he did run about 30 yards and every animal that I have shot with a amax bullet dropped in its tracks.

Being able to place your shot in the kill zone is more important in my opinion so if you have good dope then use the 155's.

IMG_7104.JPG

Yes, they will work just fine. I have seen it with my own two eyes.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone used 155 Scenars for hunting? I know it's not designed for it, but I have a bunch of them (and really good field DOPE) and really don't feel like doing load development for deer season this year with a different bullet. Input appreciated.

-SBS </div></div>

What do you want to see? I have a few kill pics.....

Reactions: chevy327

Scenar works fine as hunting bullet. If it hits into bone, it will make mush, but overall it behaves like FMJ. Very accurate, too. Here in Finland we use them widely for hunting purposes.

DSCN0160.jpg

last years cow, 205m, between the ears and grenaded, did not even exit.

Are you Really gonna use a 308 with match bullets for hunting ? laffin'

PGS has great pics and strong evidence as to the success of said bullet !

Fire away ! I shoot Scenars in 3 rifles now... slowly converting
wink.gif

Unless your load is really HOT, just stuff a BT on top of the Scenar load, back it off the lands a bit. It will work fine, and for 'sensible' deer shots the drop is near enough.

Of course that breaks every 'rule' in the book...

Holy Crap! Forgot about this thread LOL... That's great! Looks like my load development is done! Thanks for the input! For those that want to know, my load is:

45.2 grns of XBR 8208
Lapua case
CCI BR-2
COAL 2.825"

Vel = 3040 fps

It's a fricken laser, and when I do my job will hold 1/2 MOA and sometimes better. Didn't want to switch bullets for critters. I know it works on ground squirrels out to 350, found that out today
grin.gif

-SBS

Real fast. I'm at 2832 out of a 22" with 45.5gr Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats fast! What barrel are you running and how long? </div></div>

It's a 25" inch 10 twist Krieger.

2007063.jpg

Here's a little primer for ya.....a good pal with a 360" 6X6 he killed with my GAP .308 and 155 scenars at 447 meters.

I may have to try some of that XBR....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here's a little primer for ya.....a good pal with a 360" 6X6 he killed with my GAP .308 and 155 scenars at 447 meters.

I may have to try some of that XBR.... </div></div>

You definitely should, it's one of the most consistent powders I've ever shot. My ES's have been in the single digits... No joke, 10 shot strings are giving me 7-9 fps ES's. The temperature sensitivity is supposed to be as good or better than other powder out there. I can't wait for the temp to drop, excited for big game hunting this year
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2007063.jpg

</div></div>

Damn, that is a big bull, and taken at 500 yds. I think my search for a hunting bullet is definitely over. Sweet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I may have to try some of that XBR.... </div></div>

You definitely should, it's one of the most consistent powders I've ever shot. My ES's have been in the single digits... No joke, 10 shot strings are giving me 7-9 fps ES's. The temperature sensitivity is supposed to be as good or better than other powder out there. I can't wait for the temp to drop, excited for big game hunting this year
grin.gif
</div></div>

FINALLY! Someone who will back up what I've been saying since September 2010! I've been working with this powder since Spring 2010, and I always get a funny look when I mention it to people. Most have never heard of it, but it seems that it's catching on. I use 8208 XBR in everything from .223 to 45/70 Gov't loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

FINALLY! Someone who will back up what I've been saying since September 2010! I've been working with this powder since Spring 2010, and I always get a funny look when I mention it to people. Most have never heard of it, but it seems that it's catching on. I use 8208 XBR in everything from .223 to 45/70 Gov't loads. </div></div>

Yup, it's bad ass
cool.gif

Just my .02 ...... 155 Scenar, 46.2g of RE-15, 26" Savage barrel, 2960 fps. Shot a fox at 200 yards and the bullet fragmented on impact. Ripped a football size hole in the side animal. Same load 1 year later poked a hole in and out of a deer at 300 yards - never touched a bone but only ran 75 yards or so.

I used 155 Scenars for a few years, for deer hunting, and even though they killed everything I shot them at, the only one that had any expansion at all, was one that I pulled a little high, and hit a little of the spine.

I use the same load now, except use Combined Technologies, 150 grain ballistic, silvertips. They are awesome on deer!

I have been on gun forums since before the www got forums.

Historically, the topic of terminal ballistics never resolves. There are lots of opinions based on scant anecdotes.

A thread [about using Sierra match kings for hunting]went on for years.

There seem to be two types of hunters of ruminants:
1) Aim for the shoulder, use a partition; Barnes X, Swift A frame, Nosler partition
2) Aim for the lungs, use a fast expanding bullet; Sierra Game King, Nosler Ballistic tip, Win Silver tip

The first category tend to penetrate ~ 18 inches over a wide range of impact velocities.
The second category tend to penetrate ~ 14 inches over a wide range of impact velocities.

Thin skinned hollow point target bullets tend to act like the second category.

Scenars have a reputation for either expanding very fast for lots of destruction, or penciling through.

Then there the argument that you can't kill it if you can't hit it. So when you are all sighted in, ranged, and skilled with Scenars, and there is no time to do the same for hunting bullets, you may be better off with the Scenars.

I hunted with Nosler Ballistic tips in 2008 and 2009 killing a total of 8 animals [yes, I had that many tags]. I hunted with Berger VLD hunting bullets in 2010 and got 3 animals. I am going back to Ballistic tips in 2011, based on my scant anecdotes from 2010.