• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155gr 308 or 123gr 6.5CM

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Picking up a 16” 308 or a 18” 6.5 for deer season.
    Will run 155’s with varget in the 308 or 123’s with varget in the 6.5.

Which one and why?

I'd choose the 308, more variety of hunting bullets, easy availability everywhere, ...I wouldn't use either 155 or 123 target bullet in either caliber on deer.
    Get a bullet designed for hunting.

Assuming that you aren't trying to hunt beyond the velocity envelope offered by either of your choices, I'd probably go .308. My decision is simply because the barrel is a tad shorter, and in my mind this is a woods rifle - so 250 and in.

I'd definitely look at a more frangible, yet hunting bullet (SST, NBT, TGK etc...), or I'd lighten the bullet weight and go bonded (Gold Dot, Accubond etc...) or all copper (TTSX, TSX, CX, Maker/Hammer/CB etc...). There are a ton of viable options in both calibers.

Well-placed shots with good bullets in the OP's two choices will see no difference in terminal performance IMO.

Reactions: Maggot and Basher
    If being made solely for deer, I’d go 6.5 w/ the 123s. Why? Less recoil.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the .308, I have one and love it. But while I’m not necessarily recoil averse, why deal with more than you need?

I went 18" 6.5 Creedmoor, shooting 123 scenars at 2850 fps.

Haven't had the opportunity to use it on a deer yet, but plenty of great reports of scenars on deer.

Part of my decision was because I have reloading dies for 6.5 Creedmoor and all the components. I don't reload for .308.

Honestly, either will result in a dead deer.

I smack a ton of fur with an even shorter 308 with 155 hybrids. Works great

With a 308 you’re starting at .308 plus expansion versus .264 plus expansion. Larger displacement out of the gate.

Reactions: Terry Cross
    My choice is a AR 10, weighs 6 lb 308 16" fluted barrel without scope. 7 lb 12 oz ready for 1200 yd targets or easy carry hunting at normal ranges, using hunting bullets.
    Here it's running 150 gr Gold Dot at over 2800 fps as pictured. The 155 TMK went 2900 fps, the 168 ELDM are excellent accuracy and velocity at 2756 fps as a good target load, capable of 1200 yd shooting is where its dialed to, or 208 ELDM st 2442 fps for a heavy load.
    But I wouldn't use these match bullets for hunting, even though quite a few do, but manufacturers recommend against it.

30 caliber has so many good hunting bullets, some high BC hunting bullets, so it seems illogical to use a target bullet on game, which is a big target and mostly killed close range.

Attachments

• 20230905_150313.jpg
      20230905_150313.jpg
      752.6 KB · Views: 25
    • 20230920_175036.jpg
      20230920_175036.jpg
      348.4 KB · Views: 25
    • 20230906_120445.jpg
      20230906_120445.jpg
      434.7 KB · Views: 26
    Without going into TLDR territory, I've had fantastic results with OTMs...and I've had miserable fails. Fortunately I document all my stuff (bullet holes in dead animals), so I can put to rest the "hit poorly" assumptions.

I still use tipped match bullets for critter removal...by and large the wound channels are a little more predictable than OTMs.

If you're hunting closer ranges with a shorter barrel, then the 'necessity' for a match bullet is reduced significantly.

Far be it for me though to tell someone else what to use.

Use what ya want, but it's not my recommendation but the bullet manufacturers who state what each bullets intended purpose is.
    Hornady is totally graphic with pictures of targets, deer, varmints or deer and elk beside each bullet for its intended use.
    Berger has the hunter line too, as does most every bullet manufacturer.
    With ELDX line ya get designed hunting bullet with high BC for longer ranges, that compete with ELDM target bullets at any reasonable hunting range.
    Then Berger has the Elete Hunter line, plus a whole host of others to choose from, like Barnes.
    Semi custom hunting bullets, for most any hunting endevor, designed specifically for hunting, and even certain species, plus Varmints.
    Just seems logical, one would choose one of these hunting bullets, over a target bullet, for best possible results.

But you can always shoot it multiple times with a fmj and still get the job done.
    It's a choice, I've always used hunting bullets and varmint bullets, to do the job of killing the appropriate species, pretty much following the bullet manufacturers guide, who have spent a ton of money on research, and testing.
    Works for me.

Attachments

• 20240423_161932.jpg
      20240423_161932.jpg
      487.8 KB · Views: 17
    • 20240423_161913.jpg
      20240423_161913.jpg
      479 KB · Views: 15
    Use what ya want, but it's not my recommendation but the bullet manufacturers who state what each bullets intended purpose is.
    Hornady is totally graphic with pictures of targets, deer, varmints or deer and elk beside each bullet for its intended use.
    Berger has the hunter line too, as does most every bullet manufacturer.
    With ELDX line ya get designed hunting bullet with high BC for longer ranges, that compete with ELDM target bullets at any reasonable hunting range.
    Then Berger has the Elete Hunter line, plus a whole host of others to choose from, like Barnes.
    Semi custom hunting bullets, for most any hunting endevor, designed specifically for hunting, and even certain species, plus Varmints.
    Just seems logical, one would choose one of these hunting bullets, over a target bullet, for best possible results.

But you can always shoot it multiple times with a fmj and still get the job done.
    It's a choice, I've always used hunting bullets and varmint bullets, to do the job of killing the appropriate species, pretty much following the bullet manufacturers guide, who have spent a ton of money on research, and testing.
    Works for me.

True to an extent,

The outlier being real world performance of end users vastly outnumber the volume research any manufacturer could accomplish.

Case in point, 77 TMK and 215 Hybrids on critters of all sizes. They’re match bullets that have excellent flesh performance.

Tipped bullets tend to have better expansion properties than OTMs. OTMs do well as long as they’re not pointed closing off the HP.

My experiences anyways

Picking up a 16” 308 or a 18” 6.5 for deer season.
    Will run 155’s with varget in the 308 or 123’s with varget in the 6.5.

Which one and why?
    Neither. 130gr Barnes in 308W or 120gr Speer Gold Dot in 6.5CM. Both hit about the same speeds. Both offer great controlled-expansion.

Reactions: 45-90