• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155gr Bullets

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I want to develop a load with 155gr bullets for my 300WSM that will serve as long range target/hunting load. I've seen comments on the Lapua Scenar, Serria Palma and 155 gr bullets from other manufactures.

Any recommendations on which one might be the better combination bullet?

Re: 155gr Bullets

a) 155 Scenars, 155.5 Berger, 155 (2156) Sierra are all within spitting distance of each other in the BC department.

b) a WSM should be looking for a weight in the 200-220 gr range to optimize the distance/MV relationship.

on b) The 308 case does not have enough powder to push heavy high BC projectiles. The optimal relationship between bullet weight and BC in 308 is somewhere in the 155-175 range (todays bullets). Part of this was brought about by the PALMA rulles that specify that the max bullet weight is less than 156 gr.

For a 300 WSM, you have a lot more powder. Thus there is a different relationship between BC abd MV that optimizes performance. I don't shoot WSM (or WM) but I suspect that the 200-220 gr range is where the best trade off is between CB and MV and distance with accuracy.

You can squirt out 155 sceanrs at 3400 fps if you carefully develop the loading. A quick (inaccurate) check of JBM shows a 155 scenar (litz) at 3400 fps goes mach at 1400 ayrds, while a 210 SMK (litz) at 3000 fps goes mach at 1550 yards. Barrel life is also longer.