• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155gr. or 175gr.?

Dusty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2003
Louisiana
I have been shooting 175gr. SMK in my .308, but was thinking about trying some 155's. I remember a post a while back, where somebody said that they where shooting a 155 load that would come close to the ballistics as a .300 WM as far as wind and drop. I couldn't find it with the search engine. anybody remember this? BTW what is the Ballistic coefficent of the Lapua 155's?

Re: 155gr. or 175gr.?

155's buck the wind better, have more retained energy @ 1k, and recoil less, what not to like about them, downside are Scenars are mail order only, and pumping them out at 3000fps will ruin your barrel faster.

That .508 is almost falsely optimistic, and applies ONLY to velocities that are way up there.

200 yards downrange and a Scenar's BC on a G1 model is closer to .45 or so.

I use 155 scenars from Superior Shooting Systems that have been Boron Nitride coated; they work really well even during Louisiana Summers and low country.

Also 155Lapua are more forgiving for unknown distance estimation errors