• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155gr scenar/palma, 20" gas and 26" bolt

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
I've done a lot of reading on these 155's and to be honest I feel more confused then when I started to look at them. As you see I'm running two 308's one, a heavy barrel 20" FNAR(barII) and a R700 26". Here in Vegas the wind is blowing all the time. I've read these are both good and bad in the wind. Well we can't have it both so which one is it?

How do they perform in a shorter barrel autoloader? This gun shoots with 175 smk's 1.125 groups at 200y all day long and stays pretty consistent out to about 700 yards then starts to open up pretty good.

The 26 R700 is new and only has about 150 rounds down it so I don't have a lot of data for it yet.

I was thinking of placing an order with 500 of each the 155's and 175's Sierra. Should I just order a 1k of the 155's?

I do shoot a lot of 600y and will be working out to 1000k by this summer with this new Remmy. The FNAR will not do very well over 700-800 yards.

Powders I have on hand, H4895, IMR 4064, Varget, RE15.

Thanks for any help.

Re: 155gr scenar/palma, 20" gas and 26" bolt

I run 155 scenars in a 24" Remmy M40 VNC. 47.8 gr Varget gets 2925-2950 fps with 900 rounds down the tube.

I Suspect you will loose 100 fps from the shorter barrel and semi-auto movements. This will subtract about 100 yards from the maximum accurate fire distance compared to the longer tube.

As to bullet choices: There are those of us who like fast light ones with high BCs, those of us holding onto the king of the hill, and those of use pushing heavies as fast as possible.

Each group can easily make 1000 yards none of them are much good beyond 1300 yards (in 308).

I ordered 500 of the 175 and 100 of the palma's. I guess I'll see how they perform here in a week or so.

Thanks anyways guys.

I have never shot the 155's but have done some pretty extensive research.

From what I gather the you really need to push the 155's fast (2900fps +). IMHO The faster you (accurately) push them the less time wind has a chance to act on the bullet. I still hear the heaviers still buck the wind better.

You will probably have really good performance from the longer barrels with the 155's but you probably be better off with heavies in a shorter barrel.

**Notice I have little experience with the 155's, statements above are based on research from this site and opinion based on logic, I could be completely wrong, if I am please let me know. You're never too old to learn something.*** Cheers
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting here in Vegas and the surrounds, observation is that 175's "seem to" prefer the short tube, and it's a toss up in the longer barrels.

Group I shoot with run 16" OBR to my 26.5" Rock Creek.

I strongly urge you to try IMR 8208 XBR with the 155's as I get a wider node and less pressure for the equal of the top Varget load mentioned above. Not the same charge of course! </div></div>

That powder is right next to h4895 and Tac in the burn rate chart, which I have on the shelf and those are my go to powders in my semi. I'm sure I'll find a load it likes.

So distance guy with a bunch of cq guys huh?

You know I may just end up staying with the 175's. The FNAR shoots sub moa with them now. I did get some nice groups with just the 150 smk's.

buy the 175's,and get some alliant pp2000mr and load them right at max in your rifle and be done.this powder likes to be hot(but don't blow your shit up)work up a load to right at pressure in your rifle,back off about .3 of a grain and go smokin'.seen good results in 2 gas and 3 bolt .308's.converted a couple varget buddies of mine.you'll love how it meters and is NOT temp. sincetive.(my spelling sucks ass)government schools,what do you expect.

The 155s and a dose of 45.0g of R15 do good in my rifles.