• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155gr Scenar + Varget or R-15?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I'm trying to see how well my rifle likes 155gr Scenars. I've got a decent amount of Varget and R-15 saved up so I'm going do 100 rounds of each and see what the outcome is. What has been your experience using those powders with the 155gr pills? Did you get better accuracy or consistency from one as opposed to the other? Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Don Dial
Re: 155gr Scenar + Varget or R-15?

Bubba,

Hard to chose between them, both work well with 155's. I like the Berger 155.5 Fullbore's and 47 grains of Varget. It was a tad more accurate and quicker than 48.5 grains RL-15.

If you need more RL-15, also RL-12, RL-19, RL-22, RL-25, let me know, I have plenty and no use for most of it anymore. I'm only about 80 miles north of you, and fair trades for Varget, Fed 210M primers and bullets, are always entertained.

Bob

Many people shoot those powders with Scenars. In my case, the Varget was the better load. For others, the RE15 won out.

Just run some tests after working up to pressure, and you will be able to decide.

I couldnt get Vargay to group for shit for me. But 46.2gr of RL15 was the key. I even went as far as 46.9gr of RL15 at 2.920" OAL and it was a hammer!

I have lost all faith in Vargay, one lot was good, the next lot was shit and another lot was garbage. Then back to a Ok lot.

Varget gets my vote for the 155 scenars.

46.1 RL 15 155 L Lapua brass 25" barrel 2950+

Varget 47.5 155 L Lapua brass 25" barrel 2950+

I have throw they both away ( both loads hard on brass) and replace with IMR 8208 xbr meters like ball 2920Fps out of 22" barrel no pressure signs, brass tight after 5 firings

ZL...here is my load with the same setup as yours.

Win Brass, trimmed and sized
45.7 RE15 @ 2835-2850 fps out of my 19" inch barrel
CCI BR2 primer
155 scenar
OAL 2.835

and its a hammer out of my gun.

Nice, thanks for the help. I'm going to hopefully get 100 rounds of the RL-15 churned out and tested this week, then the 100 rounds of Varget next week. I'll post pics and reports on the two loads with ladders and see what I get.

I haven't done any loads with Varget yet, but the RL-15 started showing pressure signs on my 175 SMK loads around 45grs. I'm also checking out a new range and hopefully I can find a time when it's not swamped with people.

Keep in mind that Varget is a very temperature insensitive powder and the same cannot be said of RL-15. That was the deciding factor for me.

Ive noticed no difference in my load over about a 60 degree temp swing with RE15

What should I use for my max load in R-15? Looks like I should work up to 46.5 or 47 for pressure signs by the data some of you gents are using.

Depends on your chamber, work up slow, 46.1 RL 15 in a Lapua case, 155 L bullet .010 jump in my 24" rifle 2950 fps+ the brass gets worked hard in five firings, but the chamber is on the tight side.

ZL, 45.7 was the magical number out of my gun. It gave me the speed i was looking for and the accuracy, i have no need to go higher. Id start around 45.5 and work up

ZL- i just did a test with both in a new AW. The R15 proved slightly faster and a little more accurate. For a bipod in the dirt gun, either would be quite accurate enough for me.

a little off topic- you don't need 100 rounds of each to figure which one you should go with, thats just wasting ammo. You should be able to find max with both powders and get a solid feel for accuracy with less than 50 rounds total(both powders).

I started my varget at 44gr and went to 46(2850 fps). Starts getting real hard to get much more in the case after that.

I had no experience with R15 in .308 prior to this so I started at 42(low) and went to 45 (2880 fps).

My experience is Like deadly's above. You'll most likely find good accuracy in the 2800-2850 range, and your brass will live a long time.

I have been able to do full 155 lapua/varget load work ups on three custom .308's and I assisted with another in the last two years alone. Every gun had a different make of custom barrel and none were finicky about jump or charge weight. All were started on 44gr varget at .020 jump(2.8X oal), and all shot very well with it. It was simply a matter of adjusting charges for velocity and consistency after that.

Reactions: Graywolf.260

I'm having good luck with 45.4 RL-15 and 155 sierra's out of a DPMS 308. Have 8 pounds of Varget here that I will try next.

I'm starting the 155gr load work tonight. Hopefully I can make it to the range and see how this rifle likes it. If it isn't under 1/3 MOA, then I'm going back to the 175SMKs. I know pushing for more than 1/3 MOA is a bit greedy and unrealistic, but it's like having a new car... don't you want to know how fast it will go?

ZL, im telling you.

RE 15 45.7 grains
155 scenar seated at 2.835 and rock the hell out. You will like that load.

I get 1/2 moa with 46 RE 15 and 2920fps. The Varget was better at 100yds, but about 2850 is all I could get. I never tested it at a distance.

Just for your interest, deadly, the R-15 is getting the first crack at the 155 pills. As much as I hate to admit it, the "scientific" evaluation side of reloading is one of the best parts of the hobby.

Hey ZL, dont only test them at 100yds. Make sure you run them out to at least 400 if you can and look for vertical stringing.

I'm keeping notes on which loads work so far and the next time I go to Glenn's, I'm going to test them at 300 or 400. That's the only place I can really stretch my gun's legs right now.

Send Glenn a PM and see if he minds if you come out next weekend. If he isnt busy and I make it up there, ill have my 260 and 223 in tow.

I was actually going to head up next weekend, but my folks are coming in and we're heading to the Outer Banks. Ah well, but hopefully I can make it up after that. I'll give you some fair warning if you want to join me after I square it away with Glenn. I'd love to see the 260. What's the specs?

Went back out today to test 45.5 grain of R15 and Varget. At 80 deg F, they were both very close in velocity (2827 varget, 2840 R15, sd's in the low single digits). Today it was 55 out and the Varget was still at 2825 but the R15 was at 2780. Accuracy in both was great to 600 yds.

I'll test the R15 again to see if i can repeat these results but Varget gets the nod at the moment. Thats really too much drop, but sd's still in the single digits for both. I always knew the Varget would be great but wanted a way to burn the 15lbs of R15 I have. Anybody local want two sealed 5lb jugs of R15?

Funny I have shot with almost everyone on this thread...

ZL- if you need more Varget I have 24+ pounds of it here. I use it in my 155 loads and was running a .5moa load for a while until I started getting the primer cratering you saw at the last competition so now I am re-doing my .308 load.

That was with 45.6grs of Varget BTW so I wouldn't really recommend a starting load of 45.5grs as has been mentioned. 44 grs would be a better bet.

Jon, have you been able to chrono that 45.6 gr load. If cratering is all your seeing, that probably has more to do with your firing pins fit in the firing pin hole than anything else. Since it is an R700 action, very possible you have a little more clearance there.

I haven't chronoed it Aaron but I would rather err on the side of caution. I don't need a screamer, and this cratering showed up after I started seating my projos deeper into the case. For some reason I seem to get flattened primers and ejector flow on almost every load in this rifle, even the mild ones.

Wow, maybe that schneider is a little tighter than normal. What are your come-ups to 600 or 1K? Maybe your screaming already. My .260 always took 1-2 grains less than everyone else, but the velocity was there.

I've found that i simply cant put enough varget in the case to do anything bad in the AW.

PM OTW so we don't hijack ZL's thread.

I'm starting the Varget loads just over 44 grs, but my RL-15 is a bit lighter load. Like I said above, the RL-15 performed so well with the 175s that I may just stick with that if I can't find a great load with the 155s. Hopefully I can make it to the range this weekend, but man, it's gotten COLD again!

You are correct the chamber is tight a version of a Palma 95 modified for Tac. rifle that I shoot 46.1 RL 15 155L bullet and a Lapua case mag. Length 2.8 2950 Fps 25" Schneider 5P barrel.

In a stock AI AW .308 24 in barrel ( 7.62 chamber) loaded out .010 jump to lands Varget 47.8 2950fps 8.4 mil 1000 yds at 75F. It is a little hard on brass. Anneal after 5 firings

Not selling any thing but OCW is fairly well known for Varget 155L bullet in a Win case 47.8 Lapua case 47.5 Varget. If you have not used the OCW method of load development you might consider checking it out. I usually can develop a load in about 30 rds and 1 ½ hrs.

In my experience having shot RL 15 it varies about .7 ft per degree up or down from a 75 F zero. For long range 700-1000 it can be a factor and if running a stiff load when its hot can show pressure signs. RL-15 has been my powder of choice for years for .308 and .223. That has now changed the IMR 8208 xbr beats them all running 155L bullet in Lapua case OAL 2.855 22” barrel 2920 Fps. Easy on case, no pressure signs, absolutely temp. stable ( I ran my own test). Shoots great in my AWAI 24” barrel no pressure sighs, sold all my Varget and RL-15. I have not tested it with heavier bullets like 175 I think it will work fine, maybe not blistering speeds like RL 17, but I will test.

If you are interested I think I have Varget OCW test of my partner PM with email and I will forward if I can dig it up.

I've had no problem with 46.7g Varget and the 155g Scenar. It is my standard 308 load. RL15 is an old, reliable standby and is a perfectly acceptable mid-burn rate powder. I use 45.0g Varget with the 175g SMK and I don't plan on changing this anytime soon. I've standardized on Varget for my AR 223 loads. It just seems like most people use Varget these days. I've been through the experimenting stage and I like the fact that I can use Varget across all my rifle reloads.

Just got back from the range. Beautiful day here in Spring Lake, great day to shoot. Anyway, I worked up the pressure ladder for both Varget and RL-15 without incident, though I had to skip the final two rounds of RL-15, the 46.7gr and the 47.0 gr loads. I ran the Varget all the way up to 47gr and there were no pressure signs.

With the Varget, I found a good accuracy node between 45.7gr and 46.0. Solid sub .5MOA groups even with a less than ideal rest. Next time I'll get the support situation squared away before I start knocking out the load development. With the RL-15, the sweet spot looked like it was around the low 46s gr. Still, I'm simply refining the loads and seeing where I can really start finding the best load combo for the gun.

As of right now, it's 42gr of RL-15 with 175SMKs, 45gr of VV550 with 167gr Scenars, and 46gr of Varget with the 155gr Scenars.

That's quite a load. I'm trying to figure out how he got 47.9gr of Varget in a Lapua case. That would be a seriously compressed load, wouldn't it? I was hearing a pretty decent crunching sound at 47grs a couple days ago. I've got a place now to test at 300 yards, but I don't think I can reach that much powder without serious pressure issues. Enlighten me on how that's possible. Old Lap cases, perhaps?

If you look around that site you will find that it is a known OCW, but usually is stated 47.5 for a Lapua case and 47.8 for a Winchester case for 155L in a standard chamber. The rifle he is shooting is an AE 7.62 24" barrel 1/12 so the chamber is large compared to a standard .308, he usually bumps the shoulder back, OAL 2.910 which his mag will feed ( Russian LMG primer they are harder than the standard). If you look in the reload section SH there other several people that run Varget with similar loads.

PG 7 reloading section there are others
supa_fly
Stiller action
Rock Barrel 1:11.25 @ 24" form lug (25")
Manners T1
NXS 3.5-10 MLR

Win/BHA brass
47.5gr Varget
fed 210
155 Lapua Scenar
2.4 OAL (from ogive)...about 2.86 OAL

2900fps
ES 12
SD 7

It does crunch and you need enough neck tension so the powder does not push the bullet out. Of course Varget does at least for me lot to lot, some have no problem with it.

These loads are a little hard on brass, we usually anneal by 5th firing and tap the primer pocket back in shape with Hart primer pocket re-former, I have 20 plus loading on some. Absolutely you need to work up the loads slow and be the sole judge if you are approaching max presure.

It’s what your barrel, chamber, bore likes. Like my tight chamber rifle I ran the RL 15 in I would at start my OCW with Varget in a Lapua case at 46.6 then shoot 3 rounds each in .3 increases up thru 48.2 round robin 2 min. spacing.STOPPING if I see a bad presure sign, looking for a scatter group and common POI in others. My suggestion if you want similar performance for your loads with any powder and bullet give this OCW thing a go.

Note that in this test we are only looking for a range of loads with a common point of impact. Then we pick a load in the middle, load up some and test for a seating depth at 100 yds.

Take a look around that site, you will see OCW test for a range of powders ( the site is were people that use this method exchange information. If I can be of any help give a shout.

For me the IMR 8208xbr solved all the problems with Varget and RL 15 and is easy on the brass, I have yet to find one negative. Varget and RL 15 have worked and will continue to do so.

I like the OCW method a lot and will give it a try this week.

Just another example posted by .308Sako in another thread, of course the usual cautions work up slow.

"My 26+ inch Rock does 2990 with 47.8 Varget & 155's and has that kind of accuracy. But R15 is a very sweet powder too. I would think we are running similiar pressures."

how the hell are you getting 47.8 grains of Varget in a case....... that is a smoke'n load.

just to add, I run 3031 in short barrel, 22" and 20"

43.5 grains MAX load
2.84 OAL
155gr Scenar

2825fps

It crunches a bit http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=862 but there are bunch of people that use this load but people should work up there loads independant of any thing posted on the web. It is safe in mine and several others rifles but not for all, especially if Varget is different lot to lot.

But my I have given all that up for IMR 8208xbr in 22" Barrel.308 Kieger 155L in Lapua case 2920 FPS no preasure sign what so ever. It works also in AIAW great with 155l

from what i hear the IMR 8208xbr is supposed to be great for the 155's in 308's. It yields greater velocities without the pressure signs. Packs tighter than varget so you dont get the pressure signs. Bad thing is..... its out of stock everywhere

I'll give it a try when I run through all my Varget and RL-15. Is it a fairly new powder or has it been out a while?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/03/imr-8208-xbr-performs-well-in-308-win-testing/

I just found this today please note this chamber is super tight and a super tight bore, the loads are very very low. What I have experienced wide nodes of accuracy, very low ES &SD, fps more than Varget or RL 15 no pressure sign at all when V & RL loads would flatten/streach primers, and its temp stable so far more than 4895, compared below.

"Our most important discovery was that both 8208 XBR and H4895 offered significant velocity gains over Varget, at least in this rifle. It looks like 8208 XBR can run 2990 fps in this gun without pressure issues, while H4895 may top 3000 fps. Varget struggled to get much past 2900 fps.".

i know this is off topic a little but have you considered benchmark?
my fclass load is 43.5g bench/pmc or ccbr2/155sc/2.850/lap cases

it shoots 2950 and 1/2 moa no sticky bolts

Not off topic at all. I appreciate all the information I can get. I'm going to stick with the RL-15 for my 155s, and find another one for my 175 SMKs. Still, I'd rather shoot than work in my reloading laboratory to find that extra .1".