• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155grn lapua scenar fps top speed?

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys I'm wanting to try some 155 scenars out of my 5-r .308 because I heard you could get 3100fps out of them and still have a pretty good b.c. Is this true? How fast have y'all got them up to with an accurate load? I have a 24" barrel.

Re: 155grn lapua scenar fps top speed?

I shot mine out of my SPS Tactical (20" barrel), and I was only at 11.25 MOA at 575 yards. My load was not too hot either. I was at 2.820" with 44gr. of Varget. My ballistics program puts that at about 2750 fps.

That is definitely my favorite projectile for the 308.

I am sure with a little load development it is possible to get your 5R up to 3100 fps.

Is that 4000fps out of a rum or something? Because I'm gonna have to call bs if you say .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soul Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure with a little load development it is possible to get your 5R up to 3100 fps.</div></div>

Not probable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soul Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure with a little load development it is possible to get your 5R up to 3100 fps.</div></div>

Not probable. </div></div>

Sure you can--rechamber it!!

I looked for a load chart for it and caint find one, anybody got a link to a load chart? I'm just gonna try to see how fast I can get these bad boys, I've got a few to try.

Ohhh varget powder by the way
    smile.gif

lol...

win brass
    210 primer
    47.4gr Varget... = laser

be careful please... I'm loading these at 2.88 OAL

THESE ARE SAFE IN MY GUN.... and a few others... <grin>

Hahahahaha that's what I'm talkin about!!! How fast are those moving?

2.84"
    Moly
    45.8 IMR 4895
    Lapua Brass
    CCI BR2
    24" SPR

Those SPR rifles suck! You wanna sell me yours for about say...$100.00 bucks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahahahaha that's what I'm talkin about!!! How fast are those moving? </div></div>

FAST....
    gettin em chrono'd but should be near 3K.... so 2950+ ish??

My load is

46.5 grains of RL15
    Lapua Brass
    CCI BR2
    2.855 COAL
    almost .25moa load at 100 yds 5 shots out of a factory Remmy 5R in AICS stock.

I loaded up 20 rounds that I have not shot yet with the same setup except I used 47 grains of Varget instead. Going to try them out tomorrow to see how well these do.

I'm bound and determined to get them over 3 grand! Y'all might see a 5-r remmy for sale on here soon with minor damage! Hahahaha

If you are going to cram that much powder in the case, at least seat them long and single load them.

Good luck either way

I found that my 5R ran out of barrell length right at 3000fps with Varget powder. Going hotter only made more muzzle flash and no more speed. I tried from 47-47.7gr. Accuracy fell off past 2960. I have settle down to 46.6 im Rem/Lapua/LC brass. I get 2880 avg. Excellent accuracy node. I tried to get a load for the magical 2950fps, but did not see much improvement over my trusted load. Consistancy is the key.
    YMMV,Rob

I load to 2.900"OAL with 155's

I well it was just a try maybe mine will magicly shoot 3000 accurate.

Please post results. I need all the help I can get.
    Rob

What's so magic about 3K that you can't do with 2900 or slower? It's harder on brass (i.e. less reuse of brass). If wanting flatter, go to a .260 or the like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm bound and determined to get them over 3 grand! Y'all might see a 5-r remmy for sale on here soon with minor damage! Hahahaha </div></div>

I'm getting 2930 from 46.5 of N140 with Lapua brass and BR2 primer in a 26" barrel.

It's a compressed load at mag length and is fairly hot in Quickload terms but no pressure signs......

2960fps w 46.5 varget, winnie case, and cci 200 outta my savage large shank w a mcgowen 26" tube. i shot 47 for a couple hundred rounds, but got a wee bit better vertical groupings at 46.5. the 47 chronyed 2975ish i believe. mine are jumpin .030

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's so magic about 3K that you can't do with 2900 or slower? It's harder on brass (i.e. less reuse of brass). If wanting flatter, go to a .260 or the like.</div></div>

I admit to wanting to eek out every last bit of performance from the 155 (3000 fps), until I realized I was acting like the folks who put 10K into a Honda Civic to make it faster. It was the wrong tool for the job.

I stepped back to a reasonable load, 2875-2925 and have far fewer headaches. I can now focus on the fundamentals of wind reading, rather than getting a better load.

I shoot my 6XC when I want better performance.

As I recall from my initial load dev 2900 was the MV required to stay supersonic to 1000 in all conditions. Unless you are finding another accuracy node I don't think the extra fps is gaining you much when compared to how hot you will need to stoke it to get there.

Have fun regardless!

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2900 was the MV required to stay supersonic to 1000 in all conditions.</div></div>

That sounds really high to me.

With my quick ballistic computer:
    -1500 Density Altitude

2750 fps .... supersonic at 1100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The air in England is <span style="font-weight: bold">really</span> dense...
    laugh.gif

</div></div>

You're thinking of the beer
    wink.gif

I don't have my notes with me but 2900 sticks in my brain for some reason. May just be a brain fart.

While we are sort of on the subject does anyone have a real fps definition of the "transonic zone" ? As I understand it the waves break down and disappear completely at the speed of sound but at what point above this does instability really start?

I know the speed of sound will vary by 100fps across realistic range of temps - let's say 1060 to 1160 fps - but how far above this speed should we aim for for stability. I have seen an article state the transonic zone as high as 1400 fps (seems high) and this would obviously have a pretty significant effect on the target MV.

TC

It depends on the conditions. My ballistic program thinks a Scenar 155 will be well supersonic at 1000 if fired at 2750 <span style="font-style: italic">on a standard day</span>, i.e., BP 29.53, Temp 59, Humidity 78%.

But in colder weather or with higher BP, it will just depend.
    At 35 degrees with a BP of 30.2, it will be marginal at 1000.

As far as transonic goes, I'd like to have a 10 percent margin of error, i.e., 1.1 times the speed of sound at the target under the conditions which exist.

And it depends a lot on the bullet. Some bullets will transit the speed of sound pretty well behaved. Others won't - I've seen 168 SMKs going sideways at 1000 yards.

Makes sense Lindy - I'll be having a play with some further numbers later.

I've just started to allow my 14 year old son to help with some of the reloading process. As this point he's cleaning primer pockets, cleaning necks, seating primers etc but before he could do anything we had an hour or so of theory......

"Dad, this is like Maths, Chemistry and Physics but it's actually interesting!"

Cheers

TC

PS. Sorry for the minor hijack

I have a .338 lapua to go big with but it's kinda like motocross racing, you got your race bike and then you got your little bitty motorcycle and you want to see just how fast you can get it up to before it blows to pieces!
    smile.gif

I've got a Surgeon .308 with a 26 inch Bartlien barrel. I shoot 46.4 grs of Varget with Lapua brass, Wolf primers and 155 Scenars. My OAL is 2.820 and the SD runs under 10FPS. I get 2955 out of that load. I've loaded this lot of brass 7 times and haven't had any web seperation yet or any loose primer pockets. To be honest I don't think that I would push it any harder. Let the scope do the work.

3100fps maybe just be a tad outta reach
    however
    i hit 3050fps 26" barrel with zero ill effects, itty bitty ES/SD
    but didnt shoot that well @300

Results over a Oleher 35p, info is posted elsewhere on forum

OAL 2.920 48.4 IMR4895
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Do not duplicate load, unless you fully understand what your doing </span>

current load 47.8varget 2.920 OAL
    thou i still prefer my old IMR load, H4895 maybe ticket...more testing needed thou 47.4 rocked.

Currently other things have my attention and time wrapped up tight, thou that will change in next couple of months.

Play safe, good luck

I was pushing 155's at around 3000fps but it burns the barrel out like a .260. Mine is at GAP right now for a new barrel.

46.7gr of varget takes me to 2930fps out of a 26" remington tube. Pushing it to 3100fps will mean only a few less clicks of elevation. If your going to hit or miss a shot it will not be because of an extra 100fps. I would probably not even run mine that fast but I had some vertical stringing that did not settle down until I hit the 46.7.