• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 15x-18x Binos or Spotting Scope for Hunting/Glassing?

Wyzrd

Harder than a coffin nail
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Ok, so I thought I had my mind made up on getting another spotting scope for hunting/glassing for game, but through my research I came across postings of guys using 15x-18x binos that preferred using them over spotters... mostly for PRS matches, but some for hunting too.

I currently use a 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-R LRF Bino during hunting, but would like some more magnification to really size up an elk or deer that’s far away before I start the stalk.

So, I’m curious what guys here prefer to use during hunting? A 60/65mm spotter, or a quality 15x-18x binocular? Either way I go it’ll be mounted on a decent tripod. My budget is around $1500 max, and my main requirements are:

-Great glass
    -Big FOV
    -Not too heavy- as it’ll be for backpack hunts in the mtns.
    -Good performance in low light conditions

So, let me know what you guys use. If it’s just binos, should I go with a 15x or 18x? Is it enough for glassing game up to a mile away? If I go that route, I’d be looking at either used Swarovski SLC, Meopta Meostar HD, maybe Bushnell Forge, Sig Zulu, or...?

The spotters I’ve narrowed it down to are:

-Zeiss Victory Diascope FL 65mm with 30x WA eyepiece (Lighter weight, good FOV, and great glass)

-Swarovski STS 20-60x65 (Non-HD)

-Leica APO Televid 77mm with 32x WA eyepiece (long and heavy, but amazing glass)

-Nikon Fieldscope ED ||| 20-45x60 (supposedly awesome glass but short eye relief)

-Maybe a Vortex Razor HD 22-48x65 (heavy)

I have a decent pair of 15x binoculars and a Swarovski HD spotter. I use the binoculars 1000x more than the spotter.

If I was a trophy hunter the spotter would get more use , but I mostly hunt for meat and quality time with my son . I can spot game at several miles with the 15x binoculars, but accurately judging antlers is difficult beyond about 1200 yards unless its an obviously huge rack .

I have a decent pair of 15x binoculars and a Swarovski HD spotter. I use the binoculars 1000x more than the spotter.

If I was a trophy hunter the spotter would get more use , but I mostly hunt for meat and quality time with my son . I can spot game at several miles with the 15x binoculars, but accurately judging antlers is difficult beyond about 1200 yards unless its an obviously huge rack .

Thanks for that input! I’m definitely not a trophy hunter either, but i do enjoy a nice set of antlers with my meat too. Are you running 15x Swaros, or something else?

I'm also considering 15x for hunting and spotting. There were a pair of 18x at the last 600yard match I shot. It was way easier on my eyes spotting through the binos rather than the spotting scope.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    Binos and spotter. Sit and glass for hours over days with binos searching for animals. Once located, bring out the spotter to fine tune, is it legal and worth the stalk. In my experience I don't see 18x binos giving me the detail to verify legal at some of the ranges game are viewed at with narrow FOV, jack of both trade but master of neither. I want a wide FOV to cover more terrain to see movement in a search grid 10x is my limit. I started with 7-8x in the 70s and they worked just fine. 10x has been the standard for 10=15 years but I did see a move towards 12x and 15x binos, 5% of customers.

Cheap binos can leave hunters with headaches and eye strain since they are so heavily used on a hunt. I currently have Vortex due to the price FREE but there are much better. Your leica are top shelf.

Spotting scope are used sparingly to judge game.

The spotters on your list,

Zeiss #1 for a reason, it received top shelf status at our optics demo even from Swaro fans.

#2 was Leupold not on your list but its a suggestion. This was quit revealing.

Vortex was last or bottom 2.

good luck

Last edited:
    I'm a big Meopta fan, I think you get alot of glass for the money. I have the Meostar HD, I was considering the SLC's but I can't really see a difference , maybe you can and for twice the money, Meopta all the way.

I'm a big Meopta fan, I think you get alot of glass for the money. I have the Meostar HD, I was considering the SLC's but I can't really see a difference , maybe you can and for twice the money, Meopta all the way.
    x2. I have the Meopta 15's and they are absolutely incredible. I also don't really see the need for a spotter any more. With deer and elk, I can easily tell if it's got a large frame and worth getting a better look from a mile away or more. I used a spotter last year on a mountain goat hunt, it did come in handy there. You are still splitting hairs though on a goat. I use my 15s at local shoots as well and almost everyone remarks about how good the glass is in them.

I appreciate all the responses. I do use my 10x42 binos for the majority of my glassing when I’m out hunting, but it seems like every season there are times when I’ll spot some critters way the hell out there, and I find myself wishing I had that extra top end magnification to get a really good look at them before I start busting my ass to get after them.

With that said, I found a really good deal on a LNIB Zeiss Victory Diascope FL 65mm with the 30x WA eyepiece, so I went ahead and ordered it. I’m gonna put it through the ringer this season, and I guess then I’ll have a better idea of whether or not I should stick with the spotter or get a good 15x56 bino as well (leaning towards Meopta Meostar HD). The weight difference really isn’t that much between the 2 and both would be used on a tripod anyways. It is reassuring to hear guys using their 15x binos to spot game at mile + ranges, as that was one of my main concerns... well shit! Even though I just dropped the coin on a good spotter, the little devil in my mind is already telling me to find a way to get those 15x56 binos too??

Don't know where or how you hunt but bino spotter combo is what I prefer. Trying to judge 3 times, shovel, double ear length, broom in my experience is easier and more reveling with a quality spotter Vs any bino.

You made the right choice, good luck

Don't know where or how you hunt but bino spotter combo is what I prefer. Trying to judge 3 times, shovel, double ear length, broom in my experience is easier and more reveling with a quality spotter Vs any bino.

You made the right choice, good luck

I hunt mostly in the south/southeast region of WY for elk, mulies, whitetail, and occasionally antelope. Usually I hike up to a nice glassing spot, bust out the 10x42 to glass close, and then start scanning the draws, opposite hillsides, and just taking in as much as possible. Once I spot some critters, ill start the stalk to get closer. In the past though, I’ll have hiked a long ways just to find out that it’s not an animal I wanted to shoot. So now, having this extra magnification will help me from wasting time and energy on animals that I don’t want to pursue.... hope that all makes sense.

Absolutely. This is why I would not use just 18x bino. I don't want to waste valuable time stalking / getting closer to an animal to see if it is in fact legal. Binos for glassing to find game, a good spotter to verify its legal or worth the time. Bino and spotter are worth their weight in time in my experience.

I hunt mostly in the south/southeast region of WY for elk, mulies, whitetail, and occasionally antelope. Usually I hike up to a nice glassing spot, bust out the 10x42 to glass close, and then start scanning the draws, opposite hillsides, and just taking in as much as possible. Once I spot some critters, ill start the stalk to get closer. In the past though, I’ll have hiked a long ways just to find out that it’s not an animal I wanted to shoot. So now, having this extra magnification will help me from wasting time and energy on animals that I don’t want to pursue.... hope that all makes sense.

As we discussed earlier I use my 30x Zeiss spotter a ton. Ive spotted more animals with that at distance than my Swaro 10x binos. Its a game changer for picking out bits and pieces of game. Here are a few examples from last year. Pics are taken holding my cell phone to the eyepiece. Most of the bucks below I couldn't see with my binos even after locating them with my spotter.
    20181003_163644.jpg

20181028_091528.jpg

20181028_075654.jpg

20181025_182113.jpg

20181025_191834.jpg

20181022_125347.jpg

Last edited:
    That’s always good to hear Wyfox... also, thanks again for your recommendation! I just received my spotter with the 30x WA eyepiece about an hour ago, and just from looking through it briefly, it is an awesome piece of glass! I’m gonna be going on a early scouting trip this weekend and will be able to put this spotter to some good use. I can’t wait to get this thing out in the field during hunting season too! The light weight, FOV, eye relief, and insanely bright and vivid image through the glass all add up to make one bad ass little spotter! I’m definitely glad I snagged this!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Reactions: Wyfox
    I use the Cannon 18x50 with image stabilizer . No tripod needed , been using them for over 15yrs and still cant make the switch to swaros or Lieca because the IS is so good