• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

15x binocular, spotter

Russ257

???
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Why doesn’t someone make a 15x binocular with an integrated range finder and a reticle? Seems to me like this cover all the bases and be great for prs competitions.and general field use. You could spot and range in one relatively compact device.

Been asking for this for a long time. Most companies aren’t convinced there’s a big enough market. The euro companies have no interest because PRS isn’t nearly as popular. And hunters over there don’t have any want for something like that. The other companies don’t seem on board with it cause some of it can get tricky. I think technically Swaro owns something patent wise that you’ve gotta work around?

On the spotter side of the house however, there is a spotter with an integrated LRF and etched reticle coming that will be really good for PRS.

Personally I’d only want something like this with really top end glass. My sig 10ks suck in the glass department. They are reduced to glorified RF duty.

Sig will probably make one in a couple years, then everyone will complain how the glass is blue. It’ll be a while, if ever, that one will be made that everyone likes

Been asking for this for a long time. Most companies aren’t convinced there’s a big enough market. The euro companies have no interest because PRS isn’t nearly as popular. And hunters over there don’t have any want for something like that. The other companies don’t seem on board with it cause some of it can get tricky. I think technically Swaro owns something patent wise that you’ve gotta work around?

On the spotter side of the house however, there is a spotter with an integrated LRF and etched reticle coming that will be really good for PRS.

Personally I’d only want something like this with really top end glass. My sig 10ks suck in the glass department. They are reduced to glorified RF duty.
Have you checked out the 6ks? The glass is definitely better than the 3k and 10k.

Have you checked out the 6ks? The glass is definitely better than the 3k and 10k.
I haven’t. How’s the laser and ballistic capabilities? That’s the only reason I still keep my 10k and I don’t dump them for Swaro with TA or the new Leica pro

I think the market for this device would be very small.

15x is heavy and essentially unusable unless mounted on a tripod, especially with an integrated laser. This rules out any practical handheld use. The optical coating used on LR binos gives some people eye strain during extended use, making it not practical for some for extended spotting sessions.

So not very useable for handheld use, with optical coating that (likely) makes it impractical for extended glassing sessions.

The majority of hunters would use 10x LR binos coupled with a spotter or 15x Swaro SLC's (or equivalent).

I haven’t. How’s the laser and ballistic capabilities? That’s the only reason I still keep my 10k and I don’t dump them for Swaro with TA or the new Leica pro
I just picked a set up. Have only played with them for a few minutes. You can check them out at the next match you come to

Reactions: Covertnoob5
Leica makes a 15x LRF bino. No reticle. I own the previous generation and I really like them. I find that they are hand-holdable for short periods of time, but I’m only shooting varmints out to 5-600yds.

I just use them to range stuff and not for any internal solver…in fact I’m not sure if they have one.

Just an fyi.

Reactions: kthomas
with optical coating that (likely) makes it impractical for extended glassing sessions.
The 15x Leicas are like their other binos in that they have the LRF in the middle (in the bridge). I think, but do not know, if this is the reason that Leica lens barrels don’t have any funky color cast when looking through them.

Reactions: kthomas