• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 15x vs 20x +

Re: 15x vs 20x +

You can see a moa sized target fairly well with 15x. Mirage starts to get pretty bad around the 17x mark though, which is something to consider when selection magnification in a optic.

Magnification is not the end-all/be-all determining factor for performance at long ranges. Magnification is nice, but if your optics are not good quality, then higher magnification only ends up magnifying problems and not really assisting with longer range shoots. By way of example...I'd gladly take a 10x SS over a variable power 20x BSA, etc. any day of the week!

So...with all things being equal and assuming you are talking about a quality optic with good (or better) glass...15x is more than sufficient to achieve excellent results out to and beyond 1k.

+1 on YN*Dotte's comments re: mirage which can be a real @#$%!!

I'm looking at NF or s&b. The only NF that has the options I want is the f1 and it is 15x.
The s&b has about the same magnification unless you go with the 25x and that seems little over kill... These are the two I am debating between just stuck on the magnification...

You can always dial a 25x scope down to 15x but you can't dial a 15x scope up if you need more power
wink.gif

I run a S&B 5-25x on my match rifles and have never felt it was over kill. Most of my shooting is done at 12-15x but when I need it I have the extra magnification.

I really like my5-22 Nxs npr1, I did not like the3-15 npr1 because the reticle was way to fine at low power for lowlight or brush hunting ( reticle was the SFP npr1 in both scopes, I would imagine the ffp would make it even worse.)

You would probably be okay with mil dot since it is fairly bold, but I would stay away from npr1 any lowlight or hunting situations ( this applies specifically to the 3-15)

*I have not looked through the f1 3-15 ffp with the new npr1 ffp reticle, it might be worth a look.

I heard that s&b was coming out with a 3.5-20x around June. I also heard that guys have been hearing this a waiting for a long time for it. Anyone heard any update or eta to dealers?

Last I was told was April/May but June will probably be more realistic. I have one on order and can't wait to get it in. It's definitely a nice scope and has been in the works for a couple of years but you can't rush perfection
wink.gif

If you are looking for a scope now I'd highly recommend the S&B5-25x56 with P4F reticle.