• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 16” 308 vs 20” 6.5 creedmoor

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
What do you guys think? I will likely never take this AR10 over 700 yards. I get both caliber ammo at the same price and even if I don’t reload I have the same availability.

Will be using it on large hogs and Texas sized deer(small as shit) at 100-300 yards.

This will be my new go to rifle for general hunting and shooting.

Bench

Given your criteria I think either would serve you well but I would probably favor the shorter handier 308 for hunting and use on large hogs.

I would stick with the .308 for sure. The ammo selection and availability would be my primary reason for this. In the northern part of the country I only seem to see Match 6.5 ammo and an occasional box of hunting ammo floating around so if you ever did some out of state hunting and perhaps “misplaced” your ammo before leaving the more popular .308 ammo would be easier to find.

Another vote for .308. I’d personally go 18” but it isn’t that big a deal. I think the 130 TTSX would be the ideal bullet for both hunting scenarios.

Another vote for .308. I’d personally go 18” but it isn’t that big a deal. I think the 130 TTSX would be the ideal bullet for both hunting scenarios.

I have a 130 TTSX load for my 16" 308 REPR that I really like. I've shot a dozen or so hogs and deer with it and it hammers. But I think it's a sub 500 yard load. The energy drops off pretty quick past 400.

Barrel life longer in the 308. Shorter rifle handles better in the field. Not really pushing it enough to justify the 6.5. More than enough power to take out pigs. Not knocking the 6.5. Your just not demanding enough of the platform to utilize the function of the 6.5. Hope this helps.

Hog rifle 100-300, I guess I would go with the short 308 as well.

I think barrel life is not a big sway for the decision making process if it is only for hunting, but if target shooting as well, the 6.5 will cost you plenty in ammo before it opens up. The 6.5 will give you a bit better max point blank range and less recoil. Either will do well at that yardage. It's 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

I have both..16” 6.5 and, 14.5” 308 ..I tend to run lighter pills with faster burning powder..work very well on SC hogs and, such. I don’t mind weight as much..I don’t do much stalking..I can’t stand long rifles and, adding a can ..

Says 44.5 gr Reloder 17 behind the 130gr Berger AR Hybrid gets you near 100% propellant burnt and 2650 FPS... 100 FPS faster than the same bullet in 6.5 Grendel out of a 24" barrel.

I have both a 16” 308 and a 16.5 260 ( almost the same thing) both are very handy and accurate for hunting. Ive used them both for everything from jackrabbits up to elk. Ive also got an 18” 6.5Cm that I would also use for the same jobs.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
For deer you should still have enough velocity and energy to 500 - 600 yards depending on your bullet / gr weight in 6.5 Creedmoor. For hogs and varmints, you have a much further range than that. With a better trajectory, shorter barrel, I don't see why you wouldn't want a 6.5 for this application. I know A 16" 6.5CM with suppressor is in my future. I have a 24" proof barrel at the moment, and I love it - you get all the fps :D.

I notice some people above are making it sound like you need a .308 for hogs, when more hogs have probably succumbed to .223 over any other round. If you shoot hogs in the correct place, it doesn't take much.

Reactions: Raffica762
For deer you should still have enough velocity and energy to 500 - 600 yards depending on your bullet / gr weight in 6.5 Creedmoor. For hogs and varmints, you have a much further range than that. With a better trajectory, shorter barrel, I don't see why you wouldn't want a 6.5 for this application. I know A 16" 6.5CM with suppressor is in my future. I have a 24" proof barrel at the moment, and I love it - you get all the fps :D.

I notice some people above are making it sound like you need a .308 for hogs, when more hogs have probably succumbed to .223 over any other round. If you shoot hogs in the correct place, it doesn't take much.

Yes I agree I smoked many of hogs with 556 70gr Barnes

That’s no lie..I use my recce rifle and 62grain fusions on hogs..usually a head shot since I’m not trophy hunting..I almost never use a “deer round” for hogs

Bench

20181216_082927.jpg
20181216_082941.jpg
20181216_090302.jpg
20181216_091522.jpg
20181216_154147.jpg

Go with a 16.5 or 18" 6.5 CM.

I have an 18" ts customs barrel in a srs covert in 6.5 creed, will be using saker 7.62 with it as well Haven't even broke it in yet. I'm wondering what ammo and yardage I can responsibly take a whitetail deer. Any first hand advise would be greatly appreciated. Currently I have some Hornady eldx 143 prec. Hunter and some American whitetail. I am not a reloader and would like something off the shelf, however I do realize that the velocities on these ammo are tested on a longer barrel.

I have an 18" ts customs barrel in a srs covert in 6.5 creed, will be using saker 7.62 with it as well Haven't even broke it in yet. I'm wondering what ammo and yardage I can responsibly take a whitetail deer. Any first hand advise would be greatly appreciated. Currently I have some Hornady eldx 143 prec. Hunter and some American whitetail. I am not a reloader and would like something off the shelf, however I do realize that the velocities on these ammo are tested on a longer barrel.
Ive got a ES Tactical 18” for my SRS too, amazing little barrel.

Run them over a chrono and plug in the data. People who hunt deer say 800ft/lb is about the lowest energy for a kill on large game.

Reactions: James Howard
I'm wondering what ammo and yardage I can responsibly take a whitetail deer.
That question has a lot more to do with you, than it does ammo and yardage. The distance you should limit yourself to is the distance that you can consistently put first round hits on vital sized targets in true hunting conditions. If thats only 200 yds, then that should be your limit, regardless of ammo, bullet, energy, etc.

Run them over a chrono and plug in the data. People who hunt deer say 800ft/lb is about the lowest energy for a kill on large game.
Which is false. on deer, praised handgun hunting rounds do about 450 ft lbs. Bullet expansion / putting it in the right spot is what matters.
It just so happens that when you get to about 800 ft lbs on many rifle calibers you don't have FPS to reliably make the bullet expand. The point is, minimum ft/lb isn't the best way to look at it I don't think.
Look at minimum expansion velocity of your selected bullet and determine max range from there.

That question has a lot more to do with you, than it does ammo and yardage. The distance you should limit yourself to is the distance that you can consistently put first round hits on vital sized targets in true hunting conditions. If thats only 200 yds, then that should be your limit, regardless of ammo, bullet, energy, etc.
This

Which is false. on deer, praised handgun hunting rounds do about 450 ft lbs. Bullet expansion / putting it in the right spot is what matters.
It just so happens that when you get to about 800 ft lbs on many rifle calibers you don't have FPS to reliably make the bullet expand. The point is, minimum ft/lb isn't the best way to look at it I don't think.
Look at minimum expansion velocity of your selected bullet and determine max range from there.

I understand it is somewhat flawed but Velocity and grains = Ft/Lb which is what determines expansion of a given bullet. Not all are the same but they are generally close to it. Handguns have different expansion rates.

For a rifle, expansion has little to do with killing as the wound cavity does more damage to internals. A 3-4” + wound cavity is much more effective than a .40” expanded projectile.

That Ft/Lb is what creates the cavity.