• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16” Proof CF 308 win, Anyone?

I am using one on a new build, unfortunately I have not had the time to check it for accuracy at 300 yards. When I zeroed the scope at 100 yards, it was 3/4" MOA with 5 rounds using 175 grain GMSMK. Mean velocity was 2,467 fps. I was just trying to get things setup. I need to get more time on it.

IMG_E1953.JPG

Reactions: B Man and simonp
I have one, running 155 eldm's - mine is ~6lbs pre-optic and is 1/2 moa so far with N540 at 100 and 200. Still trying a couple more powders...

My parts list:
2A Xanthos set
V7 Hyper light 13.5" handguard and Titanium barrel nut
Proof 16" 308
Toolcraft Titanium BCG
Triggertech Diamond
SLR Synergy Ti mini-comp
SLR Ti Adjustable gas block
Taccom 3-stage buffer and Tubb Spring
Magpul SL-K
Ergo grip
Magpul flip ups
S&B 3-20 ultra short in a NF Ultralight mount

Last edited:
if for hunting 18" or 20" barrel ??? , I have Proof Research 20" barrel on my AR10 ( I have two ), it's very good Barrel so accuracy ~~~

Reactions: B Man
Appreciate it guys. I went ahead and ordered it. Planning to run suppressed all the time so wanted a 16” and only giving up roughly 50-75 yards over my 20” before going transonic so I can live with it for its intended purpose. I almost decided to just get a Lilja tactical profile from CLE knowing I always like his barrels but I’ve backed out on getting a proof cf multiple times so figured not a better reason than this builds purpose to try it.

Appreciate it guys. I went ahead and ordered it. Planning to run suppressed all the time so wanted a 16” and only giving up roughly 50-75 yards over my 20” before going transonic so I can live with it for its intended purpose. I almost decided to just get a Lilja tactical profile from CLE knowing I always like his barrels but I’ve backed out on getting a proof cf multiple times so figured not a better reason than this builds purpose to try it.

FYI I prefer my V7 fluted 16" to the Proof, but Proof probably better to hang a can off of.

What did you like better in the V7? I looked at them hard on a build I did awhile back but went another route. I think the owner was “the” guy at Noveske correct?

Yes, it's 3/8's for real and lots of 1/4's, cleans super easy, sheds heat better, and not as finicky with loads. I guess we're talking small differences at the top of the food chain here, but I didn't expect so much from such a light barrel. It shoots like a bolt gun with a sendero profile :LOL: Give him a call to talk barrels - he kept me on for an hour... I still bought a Proof to compare, but should've just grabbed another V7.

Yes, it's 3/8's for real and lots of 1/4's, cleans super easy, sheds heat better, and not as finicky with loads. I guess we're talking small differences at the top of the food chain here, but I didn't expect so much from such a light barrel. It shoots like a bolt gun with a sendero profile :LOL: Give him a call to talk barrels - he kept me on for an hour... I still bought a Proof to compare, but should've just grabbed another V7.
That’s actually very good to hear. I may try one on a future build for sure then.

Reactions: Chickentoast

What caliber btw?

You have the same opinion of his in large caliber?

Yes, all of their products are basically tits. I bought all of their little lightweight parts as well, for both the ar10 and 15, and the attention to detail, getting everything right, is apparent. The barrels are ordered as in-stock, but when you actually order one, he finishes/polishes it, which takes a few days, and, at least in my case, called me to see what I thought after the fact.

Yes, all of their products are basically tits. I bought all of their little lightweight parts as well, for both the ar10 and 15, and the attention to detail, getting everything right, is apparent. The barrels are ordered as in-stock, but when you actually order one, he finishes/polishes it, which takes a few days, and, at least in my case, called me to see what I thought after the fact.

Good to know. I have a set here I might do a 6arc with next. Might give his barrel a try in it. Appreciate it

I shoot a Proof SS 18" barreled AR10. Don't consider mine light, but weight could be shaved off with lighter build components but it's accurate, and would do fine for hunting.

Anytime when running a Proof barrel you want to pick up a JP Bolt, that's what they are headspaced to in the Factory and is clearly stated to do so on the proof website. Since you've already purchased your BCG, do you have headspace gauges or a competent gunsmith local to you?

Reactions: MSTN and B Man
Anytime when running a Proof barrel you want to pick up a JP Bolt, that's what they are headspaced to in the Factory and is clearly stated to do so on the proof website. Since you've already purchased your BCG, do you have headspace gauges or a competent gunsmith local to you?
I have gauges. Already checked out

Reactions: bigjake83
I run a bunch of Proof barrels
I run a bunch of Proof barrels but don't use any JP bolts. I use mostly use high pressure 6.5 Creedmoor bolts with double ejectors and. 065 firing pin. I have the gauges to check headspace, but quit doing as of late, as I never found one out of spec. But you should always check especially if using different sources.. I use the same brand or the bolt provided with the barrel as Schilen does with theirs ... I can pull any bolt carrier group out of one caliber and put it into another, or interchange bolt carriers, 308, 358, 8.6 blackout, 6.5 Creedmoor...I don't usually do it ...but have. I resize thousands of 308 cases for reloading all to the same spec so it fits all 308 Autos and bolt guns. By checking the fired case in a Wilson case gauge, checked with a 308 go gage, and a dial indicator zeroed on a surface plate. I know exactly where the cases from each fired chamber are with respect to headspace, and with respect to one another. All are very close and I chamber all the bolts with the same reamer and headspace gauges.
These bolts and bolt carrier groups are made on CNC machines, and checked on CMM s one thousandth of an inch is very easy to hold. Most out of the same "qualified material" to a specific heat treatment. If the heat treatment, the metal alloy, and machinined dimensions are the same...the part is the same, and interchangeable. It's how the world runs, by design. I machined millions of parts for nuclear, defense , areospace, robotics, research, computer industries, never had one returned that did not fit and perform as designed. A gun is a simple tool with most tolerences being quite generous, by today's standards. With computer input and computer controlled aspects of manufacturing.
But a slight enhancement to a part may or may not be beneficial...or just advertising hype that we are all subjected to. Sometimes the water really does come out of the same spout, but with a different label. As those who work in industry know.

Reactions: N-C
Ran good, no hiccups. Might be a little gassy. Had enough time for a function test, dial it in to 100, guessed the velocity knowing this load in a 20” barrel and adjusted back to 250 and shot a 3 shot group. Looks like it definitely has potential but we’ll see. I do like the size and weight better than my 20” rig for its given purpose.
14A8D7E8-B2D4-414E-96CC-E1FD55528C6D.jpeg
03A4CEBD-6D79-48BD-9AB3-BACC564D4FD9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickentoast
I run a bunch of Proof barrels

I run a bunch of Proof barrels but don't use any JP bolts. I use mostly use high pressure 6.5 Creedmoor bolts with double ejectors and. 065 firing pin. I have the gauges to check headspace, but quit doing as of late, as I never found one out of spec. But you should always check especially if using different sources.. I use the same brand or the bolt provided with the barrel as Schilen does with theirs ... I can pull any bolt carrier group out of one caliber and put it into another, or interchange bolt carriers, 308, 358, 8.6 blackout, 6.5 Creedmoor...I don't usually do it ...but have. I resize thousands of 308 cases for reloading all to the same spec so it fits all 308 Autos and bolt guns. By checking the fired case in a Wilson case gauge, checked with a 308 go gage, and a dial indicator zeroed on a surface plate. I know exactly where the cases from each fired chamber are with respect to headspace, and with respect to one another. All are very close and I chamber all the bolts with the same reamer and headspace gauges.
These bolts and bolt carrier groups are made on CNC machines, and checked on CMM s one thousandth of an inch is very easy to hold. Most out of the same "qualified material" to a specific heat treatment. If the heat treatment, the metal alloy, and machinined dimensions are the same...the part is the same, and interchangeable. It's how the world runs, by design. I machined millions of parts for nuclear, defense , areospace, robotics, research, computer industries, never had one returned that did not fit and perform as designed. A gun is a simple tool with most tolerences being quite generous, by today's standards. With computer input and computer controlled aspects of manufacturing.
But a slight enhancement to a part may or may not be beneficial...or just advertising hype that we are all subjected to. Sometimes the water really does come out of the same spout, but with a different label. As those who work in industry know.

Well thats good for you, but how many people are capable or have the knowledge of how to perform the the steps you have??? Not many!

So when the average garage assembler takes a chance to assemble a large frame Gasser which we all know is not like the Lego parts of the small frames yeah I'm going to recommend they follow the manufacturers recommendations.

And it's not hype! Or some sort of financial agreement between manufacturers, why do you think just about every custom order AR manufacturer like GA Precision, Compass Lake, Craddock Precision, Precision Firearms, just to name a few all use and sell JP bolts??? Because they are the gold standard for custom builds..

Last edited:
Reactions: MSTN