• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 16.1" float tube 10" barrel SBR???

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
I am toying with the idea of building an AR with a 16.1" free float tube. Running a 10" or so barrel which would be considered a SBR. Would this actually be an SBR ?
Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Brandon

Re: 16.1" float tube 10" barrel SBR???

Then how does an integral suppressed rifle get away with not being a SBR ?
Thanks

You would have to pin/weld the can to the barrel. I would not recommend doing this. I would go the extra mile, form 1 the SBR, and go with a QD style can. That way if you want you can use it on multiple weapons systems.

Gotcha, my intention of using the long float tube that would be permanently attached; therefore I could use the can on multiple systems but still run a 300 SBR barrel.
Thanks for the feedback
BE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha, my intention of using the long float tube that would be permanently attached; therefore I could use the can on multiple systems but still run a 300 SBR barrel.
Thanks for the feedback
BE </div></div>

Permanently attach a float tube? If that were the case then it would be legal, but it would no be very practical...How would you change barrels?

Seems like a lot of work to do to get around doing a SBR. And some integrally suppressed gun are 2 stamp guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha, my intention of using the long float tube that would be permanently attached; therefore I could use the can on multiple systems but still run a 300 SBR barrel.
Thanks for the feedback
BE </div></div>

Permanently attach a float tube? If that were the case then it would be legal, but it would no be very practical...How would you change barrels? </div></div>

You can't permanently attach a float tube and barrels be interchangeable..... not going to happen unless its a monolithic style upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha, my intention of using the long float tube that would be permanently attached; therefore I could use the can on multiple systems but still run a 300 SBR barrel.
Thanks for the feedback
BE </div></div>

Permanently attach a float tube? If that were the case then it would be legal, but it would no be very practical...How would you change barrels? </div></div>

You can't permanently attach a float tube and barrels be interchangeable..... not going to happen unless its a monolithic style upper. </div></div>

My point exactly

I know it's not going to be the easiest to accomplish, but I know I can permantently attach a float tube of that will make it compliant. Also, I don't intend to change barrels real often. Besides I am tired of waiting on forms from the ATF.
Brandon

If you pin and weld a tube that is long enough to accomplish the legal length, then no, it would not be a SBR. We built one for a friend for his 6.8. It works great and leaves about two inches of can sticking out of the tube.

We couldn't find a tube commercially available that was long enough, so I had to weld two together to make the length. It turned out pretty damn slick and is much less cumbersome when hunting hogs.

Id put the barrel on, put the nut on, tighten the nut to spec, mark nut and barrel. Pull nut and barrel, grind locating pin down to the extention. Align the marks on the nut up with marks on barrel and tig in place. Install barrel and nut on upper. Now put rail on upper, drill thru rail, nut and into the extention and put a pin and weld the pin over in the rail. Now you have a perm attached rail/barrel that can be removed andreplaced separately of the upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you pin and weld a tube that is long enough to accomplish the legal length, then no, it would not be a SBR. We built one for a friend for his 6.8. It works great and leaves about two inches of can sticking out of the tube.

We couldn't find a tube commercially available that was long enough, so I had to weld two together to make the length. It turned out pretty damn slick and is much less cumbersome when hunting hogs. </div></div>

I did pretty much the same thing to a 7.62 X 25 AR but mine is more of a permanently attached flash hider that the suppressor fits inside of. I did this under the supervision of my extremely knowledgeable and by the book dealer/LEO. He gave it the green light. The main issues to concern yourself with are 16" length and permanently attached. However if you the read the actual ATF definition for "permanently attached" it reads something like, can not be removed with conventional tools. But it's best not to press the subject, just spot weld it and go on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you pin and weld a tube that is long enough to accomplish the legal length, then no, it would not be a SBR. We built one for a friend for his 6.8. It works great and leaves about two inches of can sticking out of the tube.

We couldn't find a tube commercially available that was long enough, so I had to weld two together to make the length. It turned out pretty damn slick and is much less cumbersome when hunting hogs. </div></div>

I did pretty much the same thing to a 7.62 X 25 AR but mine is more of a permanently attached flash hider that the suppressor fits inside of. I did this under the supervision of my extremely knowledgeable and by the book dealer/LEO. He gave it the green light. The main issues to concern yourself with are 16" length and permanently attached. However if you the read the actual ATF definition for "permanently attached" it reads something like, can not be removed with conventional tools. But it's best not to press the subject, just spot weld it and go on. </div></div>

This was an option we considered also but, ended up having the material available for the free float tube so, we went that route instead.

I was considering using a barrel extenion nut like on a YH tube and building my own custom 16.1" long float tube.
Assemble as normal, install nut to hold barrel
1.)Install gas tube/block.
2.)Thread my custom tube and screw to nut
3.)Pin tube to nut and tig weld for permenant installation.
The restricted access to remove gas tube/block would keep one from backing off the tube with a strap wrench or other improvised tool.
Only down side is that you would have to set it back on a mill and remove weld and pin for removal barrel, tube or gas system.
Thanks gor the insight guys! I enjoy designing things like this.

I think it would work I just got a TAC SOL 10-22 SBX barrel and it works like a champ. 10in barrel and 6in supressor cover in one package.

Dustin