• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch build questions.

mattp8893

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I've been thinking about doing this for a few weeks now. Preferably 16 inch barrel on an xlr carbon with 15.5 inch rail. To run suppressed all the time. Mainly a hunting gun so now expecting to really just burn up a barrel. What caliber would y'all suggest in the 6.5mm family. I was thinking saum to be able to keep up good speed and still run 140s anyone have a better idea for a short action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run 140's around 2700 fps from a 6.5x47L in an 18" R700. About 12 lbs as pictured.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1121.photobucket.com\/albums\/l513\/m__williams\/IMG_1398_zpsthrevonm.jpg"}[/IMG2]

What do you plan on hunting with the rifle? We've had plenty of customers build 6.5 Creedmoors for hunting. You'd be surprised on how effective it is! A 6.5 SAUM is a great cartridge, but limits what you are able to do with your rifle in the future, in the case that you want to change calibers. 6.5 x 47 Lapua has also always been a favorite of mine.

Op sounds like a fun idea Vmaxed love the look of your little rig!

My son runs a 16" 6.5 Creed in an XLR Element. I load 123's and 120s for that gun in the 28xx fps range. It's a solid deer sized game rifle at ranges 400 and closer. It's killed antelope at 400yds and deer from 15yds to 300yds. In a short barrel the 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creed are very good where a magnum 6.5 loading is going to be a flame thrower without appreciable gain due to barrel length.

Mostly deer and coyote hunting. I've got a 6.5 creedmoor for hunting already in a light weight package and 22 inch barrel and pushing 140 bergers 2900 fps and I love the rifle. Absolute hammer and never had an animal run more than the 40 yards the buck my girlfriend shot with it did. My dad dropped a 10 pointer in its tracks somewhere between 550-600 yards right after I finished the rifle. I just thought this would be a cool fun gun and liked the saum idea to be able
To keep speeds up pretty high while still shooting heavy bullets. I'm not opposed to running lighter bullets like a 120 but I'd prefer to keep it 130 grain or higher.

My son runs a 16" 6.5 Creed in an XLR Element. I load 123's and 120s for that gun in the 28xx fps range. It's a solid deer sized game rifle at ranges 400 and closer. It's killed antelope at 400yds and deer from 15yds to 300yds. In a short barrel the 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creed are very good where a magnum 6.5 loading is going to be a flame thrower without appreciable gain due to barrel length.

Not super worried about the flame thrower part as it'll be run suppressed all the time. But if they're no huge gain. Then I wouldn't be opposed to doing a 6.5 creed as I've already got a short action standard bolt face laying around anyways plus having dies and a lot of brass doesn't hurt either. I just really was hoping I could keep it to 2800 or above. That's why I was leaning towards the saum.

I don't have any experience with the saum, but I am a fan of short barrels. I say go for it, experiment with powders and I bet you'll see an appreciable gain once you find the right powder.

How long is the can? I'd go 18" if you want velocity or distance.

Don't have one yet. Well I have an old solid stainless one that's a tank it weighs a ton. But planning on getting a tbac ultra 7 for it. Well atleast doing all the paperwork for it

Just spewing some info I read on the interwebs. Precision rifle blog had an article that compared 2 barrel lengths as well as the shorter barrel with a suppressor. Google 6.5 creedmoor barrel length vs muzzle velocity.

I run 140's around 2700 fps from a 6.5x47L in an 18" R700. About 12 lbs as pictured.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1121.photobucket.com\/albums\/l513\/m__williams\/IMG_1398_zpsthrevonm.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Have you ever chronoed any lighter bullets out of that rifle? 120-130s?

What do you plan on hunting with the rifle? We've had plenty of customers build 6.5 Creedmoors for hunting. You'd be surprised on how effective it is! A 6.5 SAUM is a great cartridge, but limits what you are able to do with your rifle in the future, in the case that you want to change calibers. 6.5 x 47 Lapua has also always been a favorite of mine.

Y'all did a fine job on my 18" 6.5x47, funnest gun I own.

18" 6.5x47 run it suppressed all the time. Has a good "bark" without the can for sure.

Only shot 130 vlds so far. Getting around 2700-2750 with H4350 and 2800-2825 with RL-17.

Will probably settle on a load around 2700, no need to push it for my purposes of a mid range deer killer. Easier on the brass and the can.

6.5 CM @ 18.5" is what I decided on. Still waiting on my Near Alphamount then I can get it out and enjoy it.

18" 6.5x47 run it suppressed all the time. Has a good "bark" without the can for sure.

Only shot 130 vlds so far. Getting around 2700-2750 with H4350 and 2800-2825 with RL-17.

Will probably settle on a load around 2700, no need to push it for my purposes of a mid range deer killer. Easier on the brass and the can.

What are the spec on your ride if you don't mind me asking, I "need" to build something very similar

Thanks

What are the spec on your ride if you don't mind me asking, I "need" to build something very similar

Thanks

Built by Accurate Ordnance:

700 SA trued
Kampfeld fluted bolt and knob
Manners EH4 with mini chassis skim bedded
Timney 510
Brux #5, 1-8", at 18", threaded 5/8

I had the firing pin bushed as well, think they farmed that portion out.

Didn't want to start another similar thread, this one's very informative by the way, but I just had 11" chopped off my 6.5mm Creed. It is now a 16" & suppressed hunter.

My question for the group: I still have a bunch of loads for the 27" barrel left over. I ran them pretty hot in matches (42.9-gr H4350, @2,900 +/- fps). What will that do to a much shorter suppressed barrel?

I ran those with the brake only. Had to back them down 1.4-gr to use the suppressor...was flattening primers. Thanks!

I love short barreled rifles, I put one together last year for my son, it's a 16" .260Rem built on a 700 with an AAC barrel. Its a sweet little rifle, Jr. used to take his first deer and elk this past season:

I love short barreled rifles, I put one together last year for my son, it's a 16" .260Rem built on a 700 with an AAC barrel. Its a sweet little rifle, Jr. used to take his first deer and elk this past season:

That's a great looking stick. I'm finishing my Tikka 260 CTR version of this. How do you like the Minox and what bullets and loads are you using?

That's a great looking stick. I'm finishing my Tikka 260 CTR version of this. How do you like the Minox and what bullets and loads are you using?
I love this little Minox, its a bit light being 1-6, but I wanted that for a reason. With newer inexperienced shooters, its a lot easier to get them on target with a lower magnifying scope. And 6X is plenty for shooting deer and elk inside 600yds, if you have good eyes anyway. The eye relief is pretty forgiving, and it just fit the gun perfectly, the small objective allowed me to mount it low enough for him to shoot it properly.
The bullet I loaded for the gun was a 120gr BTHP match from PVRI, I got 500 of them for a great deal, and they shot very well at just shy of 2800fps. Good enough for me to make cold bore hits at 700 yds anyways. Junior used his little rifle to take the deer pictured below (490yds) and the elk pictured above (530yds) . Its a great little hunting rifle.

IMG_5635.jpg

Finally finished my 260 16.5" CTR hog/whitetail/yote do all stick. I'll try out 123 and 130 gr pills

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammerdown75
I'll say I love the 6.5 saum,,,I have 2 rifles chambered for it, and a third barrel sitting. That said, I just ran a 16 inch barrel load through QuickLOAD. Only getting a 97% burn on the powder, and 2710FPS. Entered a 140 bullet and 61 grains of H1000. @ 18" get 98% and 2808 and at 24", which I run, getting to a full burn and 3031. Which is a bit slower than I get in real life.

Just saying, the 6.5 saum in a short barrel does not look ideal. But I'm not an expert on QL either, but think I entered it correctly