• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 16" 300wsm

Shaun Miller

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Utah
Has anyone tried a 300wsm in 16" barrel length? If so what kind of velocities were you getting out of it? I was hoping it would get similar velocities to a full length 308.

I think it would make a nice compact tactical rifle.

Thanks

Re: 16" 300wsm

troubles are sure to come.........

I tried the 20" route wasn't much fun.

Seems the problem is with case capacity vs rate of burn, you will be throwing lots of unburned powder out the end.

If you get a quicker powder than you risk not filling the case enough and....... BOOM

should you do find a quick powder that will work its going to have a snappy kick even with a brake.

I was using varget, it ended up being a waste of time and money

Good luck

If you do build one, try to get a pic of the fireball every time you shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do build one, try to get a pic of the fireball every time you shoot it. </div></div>

Like these?

P2134906.JPG

The picture is an M44 shooting special ammo designed for the Stalingrad stalemate in WWII. It's a 110gr bullet jacket filled with plastic instead of lead. Bullet weight is ~ 36gr, it's still charged with the same powder as the standard heavy ball of 173gr FMJ

It was used as a high velocity, very short range round so that the bullets from MG's fired up a stairwell didn't land a mile downrange and hit their own troops. It's a lesson learned from experience.

That's what you're going to get with a 16" WSM. You're talking about having 65+ gr of slow powder in a package that's optimized for shooting 38-45gr of fast powder, it's going to be an enormous fireball and a lot of reduced performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do build one, try to get a pic of the fireball every time you shoot it. </div></div>

+1. Go atleast 22". It's pointless for that round any shorter.