• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16.5” 6.5saum build

simmonzz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2020
OR
Sorry if this is the wrong section

I’m not very new to reloading but brand new to this cartridge and with powders being as scarce as they are I’m asking to advice from those that hopefully have experience so I can’t try to mitigate stock piling multiple powders. I understand my barrel might not like one over another but this question is more so to find a burn rate range rather than one specific powder.

so I have almost everything to get this build started and sent off to have it assembled. I’m planning on doing a 6.5 saum.

Im for sure doing a 7.5 twist proof carbon with a 16.5” finish length. This rifle will wear a 7” can and be strictly a hunting rifle. I’m planning on running 124gr hammers or 131gr hammers.

my question is; what burn rate should I be looking for for those bullets in that barrel length? From what I can find h1000, retumbo, rl26 etc seem to be the go to powder for this cartridge in a 24-26” barrel but those people are also typically running heavy for caliber bullets like a 147gr+

Im not sure what velocities to fully expect but if I could push a 124 hammer hunter at around 3050 cool. Has anyone done a 16.5 6.5saum? And if so what powders are you running?

I haven’t tried it yet, but I know that RL23 has been the most accurate powder in a few SAUM / PRCs. If I had a carbine SAUM, I’d be looking at a double base.

I agree on starting with RL23 for the shorter barrel. Retumbo and RL26 would be the next recommendation but would expect the slower burn rate in a short tube would lead to larger ES' as I suspect you wouldn't get a complete burn.

So you guys don’t think I should try the faster stuff like in the 4831 area given my short barrel and light bullet choice? I’m not disregarding what you both said and will try to get some rl23 if I can

I use H1000 in a 20” 6.5 SAUM with a 139 scenar.
Hammers require a faster powder, if it were me I’d call Steve and ask him for powder recommendations. H4350 or R16 might even be in order.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
I talked to Steve about a month ago and he told me he wasn’t sure and that it’d probably take some experimenting lol he claimed to have not shot a bolt gun that short or done testing lol

The powders I’ve been seeing the most pop up recently in stock on line around the h4350 burn rate is hybrid 100v and staball 6.5 but I have experience or knowledge of either

So you guys don’t think I should try the faster stuff like in the 4831 area given my short barrel and light bullet choice? I’m not disregarding what you both said and will try to get some rl23 if I can
Reloader 23 is in the 4831 area. The slow side of that area using a double based powder is where I’d be looking.

I mentioned the Reloader 23, because I know it has been very accurate in several SAUMs. H4831 and H4350 are great options as well. Burn rate as it pertains to velocity only matters if it yields excellent accuracy. I personally tend to think in terms of case fill %, same thing, it only matters if it shows up on paper.

IMR 4350 too fast? its in stock online right now. vv n160 in stock as well on a different site

In case anyone was curious what this build was gonna look like together just got it back from @Deep South Tactical it’s stupid short but I’m excited to shoot it and start some load development next weekend

Attachments

• DD35A91A-DAF3-4B42-868F-6E1F1EA6B0E5.jpeg
    DD35A91A-DAF3-4B42-868F-6E1F1EA6B0E5.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 117