• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16.5 Mosin Nagant M91/30

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
i picked up 3 91/30's and thinking of having one cut down to 16.5 and using a red dot on it.

has anyone done this? i know im going to get a lot of bad comments, but im only wanting it for a truck gun shooting 100 yards or less. also going to see if a gunsmith will notch it for the front iron sight as well.

Re: 16.5 Mosin Nagant M91/30

I've done this, but the shortest barrel I've tried was 18.5 inches long. I see no issues going down to 16.5 inches, techically speaking. I did use my own design muzzlle brake, which also works as a flash hider, or, let's say, "flash reducer". Without some flash reducing capabilites, such short barrel length carbine will deliver pretty impressive flash, unless you use custom reloads.

Otherwise, "short" MN91/30 works great and is a kickass weapon with lots of killing power, even considering some loss of bullet velocity.

Is that a legel size barrel?? you may want to check that before you do it. the last thing you need is the ATF knocking on your door.

You can go down to 16". That's been on here a lot. Shotguns, however, are a different matter.

I have two 91/30's, but would have to do what you did and get a third to consider doing that. I chronographed some Brown Bear 174 grain FMJ loads out of my Mosins, and was getting 2,601 outta one barrel and 2,679 fps outta the other. I would bet you will still get around 2,450 fps out of the 16.5" tube, and those are just Russian loads.

I cut one down to 18" and then silver soldered a m44 front site onto the barrel. I then took one of the 5.5" AR15 flash suppressors and bored it out to fit the muzzle. I bored it so I had to heat it up to fit it onto the muzzle. I then pinned it to the barrel. I then made a copy of the sniper bolt. It was a very handy rifle. That flash suppressor worked great. I sold it to a friend that has used it for a few deer in Missouri.

I don't see why it wouldn't make a great truck gun as long as you keep the optic from getting beat up too bad.

Go for it. I built a nice sporter out of one, but am thinking about cutting one down for a beater and putting a red-dot or scout scope on it.

I have wanted to do this as well. Cut it and post some pics!!
smile.gif

I would love to see the muzzle flash.