• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16" and 21" Apogee Match Barrels targets (AR22 platform no targets omitted)

renaissanceman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
Idaho
Raw testing from the both the 16.1" and 21" Apogee Match AR22 barrels is below. Both are Bentz chambered and 1:12 twist. Ammo types:

Aguila subsonic 40gr Solid Point (noted on targets as "A SP")
Aguila subsonic 38gr HP (noted on targets as "A HP")
CCI SV (noted on targets as "CCI SV" with A03 or A10 signifying lot number)
Wolf Match Extra

The 21" had than 20 rounds of CCI SV through it before the groups started. The 16.1" had about 75 rounds of CCV SV through it when testing started. I've found with other barrels that accuracy starts to settle in at around the 500 round mark, so I do expect these groups to become more consistent. The targets from this day of shooting are all included, not a single group thrown out. All groups save a few are 10 shots at 50 yards.

It was 95 degrees and 3-8mph wind that was generally right to left at about a 45 degree angle. Shot from a folding table and a Caldwell bag out in the Idaho desert. These barrels are MUCH less ammo picky than the pencil profile. The Bentz chamber and 0.75" profile helps with that I'm sure. Center black bull is 0.5" (1 MOA) and the outer grey is 1.0" (2 MOA).

All targets here:

We have not shot the high dollar ammo yet, but I imagine it will preform well. Velocity numbers were around 20fps slower from the 21" than the 16". Match barrels release the end of next week and they should throw down sub-MOA 5 shot groups with ease. Many of the groups with ragged holes put the first 4-6 rounds all touching before a flier opened it up a bit. 10 shot groups are way better than 5 or 3 shots for showing the whole picture and really showing what the ammo is capable of.

This is why I think manufacturer MOA guarantees for 3 shot groups are sort of meaningless. Any 2MOA 10 shot barrel can do that if you shoot a few groups just by statistics.

Reactions: MustangGreg66
As a follow-up to this, I purchased the 21" Borebuddy Match Barrel and mounted in a Juggernaut Tactical upper receiver and a 15" JP handguard. I did a visual inspection and ran a few cleaning patches down the bore before assembling. Bore was smooth and the patch passed through nice. I put this on a lower with the Catch22 device, A2 stock, and RRA 2-stage trigger. Shot off a bi-pod and rear bag with 10x SWFA scope

I shot 145 rounds through it; Norma Match 22, Tac22, CCI SV, Aguila Std Velocity (blue), Federal Gold Medal Target, Eley Force, and CCI Mini-mags. For the most part I shot (4) 5-shot groups from left to right so the group furthest left will contain the fouler/seasoning shots. And you can see that many of the groups tighten up nicely as you move to the right. It was central Florida hot and sticky with a slight breeze at my back. But I had a solid bench setup and feel pretty good about this session...meaning no excuses.

The Borebuddy barrel I thought shot pretty well. It fed everything I put in it. Not one issue with feeding. I think it did the best with the CCI SV and even shot the Eley Force (1,200fps) very well.

Attachments​

Attachments

• BB.1.JPG
    BB.1.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 118
  • BB.Target.JPG
    BB.Target.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Ernest 5.56
As a follow-up to this, I purchased the 21" Borebuddy Match Barrel and mounted in a Juggernaut Tactical upper receiver and a 15" JP handguard. I did a visual inspection and ran a few cleaning patches down the bore before assembling. Bore was smooth and the patch passed through nice. I put this on a lower with the Catch22 device, A2 stock, and RRA 2-stage trigger. Shot off a bi-pod and rear bag with 10x SWFA scope

I shot 145 rounds through it; Norma Match 22, Tac22, CCI SV, Aguila Std Velocity (blue), Federal Gold Medal Target, Eley Force, and CCI Mini-mags. For the most part I shot (4) 5-shot groups from left to right so the group furthest left will contain the fouler/seasoning shots. And you can see that many of the groups tighten up nicely as you move to the right. It was central Florida hot and sticky with a slight breeze at my back. But I had a solid bench setup and feel pretty good about this session...meaning no excuses.

The Borebuddy barrel I thought shot pretty well. It fed everything I put in it. Not one issue with feeding. I think it did the best with the CCI SV and even shot the Eley Force (1,200fps) very well.

Attachments​

That is a very nice build, I have been looking at the new match uppers from them but that's now making me want to do one similar. Glad to see some more feedback on the new apogee barrels, been waiting to see how they performed for others.

Reactions: erik72
I shot an NRL22 match with an AR22 with an 18" CMMG upper. It would hold right around or under 1" at 50 yards. Shooting the match felt like the PRS style gas gun matches I've shot, very fun. But I finished last. That AR just doesn't have the accuracy to hang with the bolt guns.

I saw this barrel after shooting that match and thought maybe it'd be more accurate and could dial in the platform. I'll be interested to see what groups are achievable with higher quality match ammo.

I shot an NRL22 match with an AR22 with an 18" CMMG upper. It would hold right around or under 1" at 50 yards. Shooting the match felt like the PRS style gas gun matches I've shot, very fun. But I finished last. That AR just doesn't have the accuracy to hang with the bolt guns.

I saw this barrel after shooting that match and thought maybe it'd be more accurate and could dial in the platform. I'll be interested to see what groups are achievable with higher quality match ammo.
I've heard those matches are a little different at every area.

What level of accuracy do you think you need to be successful?

What distances were you shooting

I've heard those matches are a little different at every area.

What level of accuracy do you think you need to be successful?

What distances were you shooting

Check out some of the NRL22 COF. It's a sort of "Postal match" where everyone shoots the same core stages and then MDs add a few extra one-off stages. They can build the stages all within 100 yards, or use option 2 out to 200 yards. The outlaw match I shot last year had a target out to 300something, I can't remember.

"To be Successful " Depends on how you measure success. No doubt I had fun shooting the AR22, and I think I was only 1 point off for last place and I was shooting CCI Standard Velocity. The fast follow up shots were a ton of fun. I did have a failure to fire, which has been frustrating with this upper. It looks like most targets are around 2-3MOA, considering 1" @50 is 2MOA, that doesn't leave much to call wind on and for position wobble. The AR will do ~3" at 100, which is also right about the size of those targets. Smallest target this month is a KYL going down to 1/4" at 55 yards prone. So that's 1/2 MOA. To me, something that shoots 1-2MOA would be adequate to have fun for most targets. The more accuracy the better if you want to be competitive at the top.

A friend just made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a Vudoo barreled action. I put it in an MDT chassis I stole from my 223 and it amazed me with 10 shot groups just at or over 1" at 100 yards with Wolf Match Extra, and SK Target. I'm stoked for this thing.