• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16 Inch Barrel, 69 SMK questions.

Sojurn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
MN
Firstly, this is my first post. I've been a member of the Hide several years now, and thank you, all of you who post here and share what you've learned.

Today, I bought my first press. A Rock Chucker kit with everything I need to get started (sans the bench to mount it to). I'm going to be reloading for my 16" AR and a 20" Savage in 5.56 and .223 rem respectively. I was surprised in that I couldn't find much in the way of data on people shooting 16" gas guns here. Lots of 20" guns, but I expected that really.
What I'm asking is what can I expect (roughly) in the way of MV for a 16" AR and what Tips tricks or general advice would you guys offer?

Thank you for your time.
~Sojurn

Small base dies for the gas gun, every time. 69 SMK shoots very well from a 1:8 16". Velocity will be in the high 2700's to low 2800's maybe a little more if you push them hard, but don't do that until you start low and work up. Read your reloading manual all the way through before doing anything else. Pay attention to everything. If you think you made a mistake, start over. Do not reload when distracted, tired, drunk, hungover, angry, hungry, while watching TV, etc. Pay attention to magazine length restrictions when seating your bullets. Give them enough room. Inspect your brass before charging, I had a case head separation that was difficult to get out. Use a good lube. There is so much to cover, just read the manual and work slowly. You will begin to crave more accuracy and learn what tools you will need to get there. Be careful.

I have never needed the small base dies yet , but most of my AR15 's are
556 Wylde chambered. +1 on using caution and working up to max loads

Firstly, this is my first post. I've been a member of the Hide several years now, and thank you, all of you who post here and share what you've learned.

Today, I bought my first press. A Rock Chucker kit with everything I need to get started (sans the bench to mount it to). I'm going to be reloading for my 16" AR and a 20" Savage in 5.56 and .223 rem respectively. I was surprised in that I couldn't find much in the way of data on people shooting 16" gas guns here. Lots of 20" guns, but I expected that really.
What I'm asking is what can I expect (roughly) in the way of MV for a 16" AR and what Tips tricks or general advice would you guys offer?

Thank you for your time.
~Sojurn
24-24.5 gr RE15 with 69s loaded to 2.28" or 24.5-25gr Varget same length. BR4, CCi450, CCI41 or the new Fed AR primers.
Many use LC brass but Win is fairly cheap and more consistent.

2.245" is what I use for 69s in gas guns. Velocity will be anywhere from 2550 to 2750 from a 16" depending on a variety of factors. My best loads were 23.6 TAC, 24 H4895, 25.3 Varget and 26gr 2000MR.

Maybe I should have posted m my rifle and components.
The rifle is a frankengun. Mega upper and lower, Daniel defense 16" chromed barrel, Troy vtac radio, i forget the internals blah blah AR 15 stuff. The guy that set me up at the local mom and pop gun store set me up with benchmark powder and Winchester primers. The brass I have to sort and clean up, I've got a few thousand cases to choose from.
Does this change anything?

Oh, and caution will be the operative word in my reloading. I've been reading and planning this for a year or two now. I've got an idea if what not to do, just want to take advantage if what the community has to offer.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I am getting 2764 FPS. best advise that I ever got was to run varget in an AR.

I am running an LWRC 16 inch 1/7 with a 69 grn smk at 2.26 length and 26 grains of Varget. This barely fits in the magazine. But hey It works.

I love the 69 grain in the 16 inch.

You have to use Small base dies. RCBS makes great dies that are carbide specifically for an AR.

I'm not using small base dies. Seems to work fine, really depends on your chamber. Start by kissing the die to the press lightly. Once you have a fire formed piece of brass, measure the shoulder and bump it like .003

I'm using varget. As accurate as any powder can get in this set up. Start around 24.5 and work up in small increments to 26 grains. Bet you'll like the results and varget is temp stable too

Thanks guys. It's great to know what I can expect. I might make posts documenting the process. Might be good for other new guys that come after me.