• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16 Inch Larue OBR review

jccobb2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
KY
I have been wanting a short, accurate 308 rifle for a while, so I placed a pre-order last December for a 16 inch Larue 308. I got the call wanting the configuration details a week prior. It was delivered this week and taken out for a very quick range trip. The fit and finish of this rifle is excellent. The fit is actually extremely tight between the upper and lower receivers lending the rifle a very solid feel. The charging handle is a bit stiff to operate, noticeably more so than my AR10T, possible a more powerful spring? The hand guard is a nice change from the standard quad rail, and the ability to move the rail sections is a nice feature. I opted for the surefire muzzle break and a PRS stock on my rifle to help with the cheekweld. The bolt and carrier are worth mentioning, very well made. The trigger is a Geissele DMR and is nicely tuned. I would guess somewhere in the 4lb range. Charging handle comes as a PRI gasbuster at no charge. The rifle fully loaded with harris swivel bipod, 20rd PMAG loaded, and scope was around 14 lbs.

As far as price, mine came in a little under $3000 shipped and transferred. The included extras with the rifle made the price more than reasonable, and add to the fact I got the pre-order discount I'm a happy camper. Included at no charge was an OTIS kit, Larue QD mount in either 30 or 34mm for the optic, Troy rail sling mount, nicely made nylon sling, large bottle of Moly lube, generic hardcase, and all the usual Larue schwag. The total package was worth the tag for me.

As far as accuracy goes I think it's safe to say the rifle outshot me. I have no 1/2 MOA "all day long" illusions, especially behind a gasgun. The test targets were at 100 yards off the bipod. My usual range was flooded out due to the recent rainfall in southern KY/TN, so I was limited to 100 yards. I don't have the funds for the scope I want right now(3.5-15 NXS) so I put a 4-14 FFP Falcon Menace on it I had in the back of the safe just to get it out and shooting. The targets are all at least 5 shots, with the last paper target being 2 10 shot groups. I've got some trigger slap to work on, but overall I was impressed with the accuracy.
Load was a generic load I use for my 5R (168AMAX, WIN brass, 210M primers, 42g RL15, COAL 2.805, no crimp) After some load development it should improve a bit.
I can't wait to go to thunder valley and push the envelope of distance with a 16 inch barrel.

fuosw0.jpg

fawzlt.jpg

20pp4j.jpg

s5iluw.jpg

and the rifle

107nuzc.jpg

Re: 16 Inch Larue OBR review

Picked mine up today and plan on taking it to the range tomorrow for some range time. I switched the trigger out with a Geissele Match Trigger, added KNS Pins, a AAC MITER Mount, and a Trijicon TR23-2G scope and I think she is GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas_Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I switched the trigger out with a Geissele Match Trigger, added KNS Pins
</div></div>

Just a heads up, Bill Geissele himself advises against using KNS pins with his triggers. Here is an email of his on this topic (reposting from M4Carbine.net):

<span style="font-style: italic">"I didn't see an email from you. It might have got hung up in my spam filter or something.

Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

Yes, our website is a total mess. We have a new one almost ready but I would rather spend time in the shop. We doubled our manufacturing floor space in Dec and am still getting everything set up. BTW - the company has a Facebook page if you guys want to check us out.

I hope this helps, guys. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if questions come up."</span>

The original post can be found here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=47476

Hope this helps!

Yes, you have to remove the C-Clip inside the hammer. It works great but you have to have patients to get it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alex Nenadic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas_Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I switched the trigger out with a Geissele Match Trigger, added KNS Pins
</div></div>

Just a heads up, Bill Geissele himself advises against using KNS pins with his triggers. Here is an email of his on this topic (reposting from M4Carbine.net):

<span style="font-style: italic">"I didn't see an email from you. It might have got hung up in my spam filter or something.

Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

Yes, our website is a total mess. We have a new one almost ready but I would rather spend time in the shop. We doubled our manufacturing floor space in Dec and am still getting everything set up. BTW - the company has a Facebook page if you guys want to check us out.

I hope this helps, guys. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if questions come up."</span>

The original post can be found here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=47476

Hope this helps! </div></div>