• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 16 power vs. 25 power S&B

Lance B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
NJ
I don't know if this has been discussed but what are the advantages of one over the other.

TIA

Re: 16 power vs. 25 power S&B

You can always dial down when you don;t need the top end, but you can;t dial up if you need it (small target id, etc).....

I have a 5-25 and love it, but sometimes wouldnt mind having a slightly more compact 4-16.

Like the biker said, the 5-25 is more versatile, as the top end is substantially more powerful, and you can always dial down as conditions dictate.

What about the clearity? My 3-12X50 appears to be clearer than my 5-25X56 scope is.

Thanks

higher magnification can prove very useful in the right circumstances, and you don't HAVE to have it dialed all the way up... go for higher power optics, and never look back....

Low power is also important for more rapid target acquisition and field of view. I use a 3-15 PH scope and prefer it to higher power scopes I've owned. If you do mainly benchrest shooting, go for higher magnifications. For hunting in dense forests, I've used 1.5-6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoughIsland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Low power is also important for more rapid target acquisition and field of view. I use a 3-15 PH scope and prefer it to higher power scopes I've owned. If you do mainly benchrest shooting, go for higher magnifications. For hunting in dense forests, I've used 1.5-6. </div></div>

That is why the higher end optics have a nice magnification multiple. Going from a 4-16 to a 5-25 gives you an extra 9x on the top end while only costing you 1x on the low. Pretty good trade off. Unless it is physically just too large, I think the 5-25 offers the most utility.

That said, I wouldnt mind having a 3-12 for my 308. I just am too much of a magnification whore I guess. I always find myself ending up at the highest mag conditions will allow. I just like to see the target as well as I can.

I recently traded my 22x NF for a 15x. I'm begining to rethink my position on high mag scopes. Used to be a big fan, but as I move off the bench, and start thinking about different shooting events, I'm leaning toward the 15-17x range,

My experience is that due to exit pupil issues with high magnifications, higher powers may magnify without increasing resolution. With A USO SN3, I didn't think resolution increased from 12 to 17x. I had similar experience with Leupolds. I haven't tried the higher power S&B, but a 2 mm exit pupil is pretty small (50/25)

You can always dial a 25x variable scope down to 16x, but the reverse isn't true.

25x would be a longer scope. check the lengths.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently traded my 22x NF for a 15x. I'm begining to rethink my position on high mag scopes. Used to be a big fan, but as I move off the bench, and start thinking about different shooting events, I'm leaning toward the 15-17x range, </div></div>

I came to the same conclusion awhile back.

I can see what you guys mean. I loved the compact size of my Leupy MKIV 4.5-14x50. But, anytime I shoot long range, (for me, that is 650 yards) I love cranking it up over 20x. Mirage is occasionally a problem, but not very often. The only drawback is the bulky dimensions.

If you can have only one I would go with the higher mag for the reasons stated above. If that's not the case go with the right tool for the type of shooting you'll be doing. 5-25 for bench and fixed position shooting and 4-16 for more run and gun YMMV.

I LOVE my S&B 4-16, it is so much clearer than my 5-25. I got one of the first 5-25 scopes and it had that huge P3 reticle. That reticle covers up my groups on paper. I just shoot mainly from the ground or bench, so if you shoot like me make sure to get P4 fine reticle for target work if you get the 5-25.

So I'm with JRose on this one. Went from 10x powered scopes to 25x then back to 16x. For a tactical scope on anything less than a 308, 16x to 17x is really about the limit for useful top end. Yes, the 25x is much better for shooting small dots on a paper target but when you dial the S&B 25x back, from 8x to 5x the FOV stays constant thus having the effect of shrinking your total view.

The 16x does the same but at about the 4.8x level so there is less that gets in the way. Thus, the 25x really is an 8x-25x and the 16x is a 4.8-16x scope. When used tactically (or during competition) I find that I require both the low and high end of the 16x more often than needing >16x. YMMV.....

I'm not getting an S&B, rather a Premier.
I'm going 5-25 (PR Heritage) since the comps I've been shooting have the past couple years have had crazy small paper stages and target ID was paramount. Its hard to tell the difference between a 3/4" octagon inside a 1" circle and a 3/4" circle inside a 1" octagon, or tell spades from clubs on 2" tall reductions of playing cards.
Friends shooting the same targets had a hard time using their 16X S&B's.......

I never find myself less than 8X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not getting an S&B, rather a Premier.
I'm going 5-25 (PR Heritage) since the comps I've been shooting have the past couple years have had crazy small paper stages and target ID was paramount. Its hard to tell the difference between a 3/4" octagon inside a 1" circle and a 3/4" circle inside a 1" octagon, or tell spades from clubs on 2" tall reductions of playing cards.
Friends shooting the same targets had a hard time using their 16X S&B's.......

I never find myself less than 8X.
</div></div>

And luckily you have a usable 5x-8x range on the Premier from what I hear. This is one of the big negatives with the S&B in my opinion but a small price to pay for the other benefits of the S&B.

I'm hoping so! If the PR doesn't float my boat, I may have to swing a deal on a S&B if I can......