• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1600 ARC 10x42 or 12x50 ???

justme

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Due to the good reviews on these, I'm thinking of getting one but can't make up my mind between the 10x42 or the 12x50.
Has anyone here had the chance to use both?

Re: 1600 ARC 10x42 or 12x50 ???

I have not used both but I used the 10x42. Good glass for the money, I was ranging 1200 meters in the rain/snow last week. During that week they got beat up, dropped, stepped on and still kept on running. I would buy another set without hesitation.

I have a hard enough time holding the 10-power 1600 still for ranging. Sometimes I wish it was 8x. I can't imagine having a 12x range finder. The 10x is cheaper so it gets my vote.

10x is upper limit to hold steady enough by hand (that's why you see so many 8x binos).

12x - the picture will just wobble too much without additional support. at this magnification you basically need an additional rest like a tree, pod, ... i would advice against that. 12x and upwards that's what a properly supported spotting scope is for.

binos: larger obj. diameter might (depending on the optical setup) help with getting a reflection back on the sensor - better ranging?

binos can be held more steady? at least for me ...

mono: fits into a pocket. if it's only ranging that you want, nothing against them.

I've had the 10x42s for 8 months or so. They worked great for ranging during a p-dog hunt. I never had any problem ranging yucca plants out to 1050-1100. I used yucca plants that were near p-dogs as the yucca plants were the most reflective object nearby. Hard targets such as buildings were no problem out to 1450-1500. I never attempted to range anything further than that.

Regarding the 10 power vs 12 power. I use these for glassing during hunting as well. I'm glad I have the 10's vs 12's if nothing more than for increased field of view.

Hope this helps.

I agree on the magnification, 10x is the absolute max. I had a hell of a time ranging small targets while standing, normally had to get some type of support.

Just an observation, but your shakiness while holding these will be the same whether you're using 12x, 10x, or 3x. It just becomes more noticeable on the higher magnifications, but should technically get you more precise measurements because you'll find support and laze the precise object you want...

I'm a little confused with all these people saying you can't hold a 12x as stead as a 10x or 8x. That's completely false. It's only the perceived ability to be more steady. Its no different that seeing your heart beat on a +22 power scope compared to an 8x scope. You're heartbeat is still shaking your glass, you just don't notice it.

You'll still be able to get as good or BETTER readings from the 12x binos, simply because you'll concentrate on holding them EVEN MORE steady than you would feel the need to with a 10x.

Now, after all that is said, if that's something you don't want to see...then by all means, use 10 or less. I've got the 10x 42 Fusion that you speak of, and I would like to get the 12's simply because we've got a LOT of wide open country where I hunt and I'd rather have the extra zoom to know what I'm looking at, before I decide to make a stalk, or before whatever's coming is right in my lap.

Lot's of people don't have the open country to warrant 12x binos. I myself might not need it, but I certainly won't hurt in my hunting conditions.