• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 168 AMAX vs 175 SMK

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    Do any of y'all prefer one over the other? Not trying to start a debate but just wondering if Some here had certain reasons why they liked one over the other. Price, consistency, hunting, availiblity.

I shoot both and was just fixing to place an order for a few thousand of both but figured I would see what yall thought and maybe just get my one order and not the other. Thanks

I think both are great bullets.

I've had great success with both used out to 600. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Kevin Walker

I like amax and smk rounds very much and both have shot consistently and very accurate. The smk doesn't have a very uniform tip but has better bc where as the amax has a slightly lower bc but is very uniform. The smk is why I started loading with a bullet comparator. I am in the same boat as you, can't figure out which one I want to shoot. I think ill get the same results at 1000 so I'm going shoot which ever is available at the time. Out of my 284, I'm shooting amax when I can find them because they have really good bc and my barrel is too short for the 180 smk's and the 168 smk have poor bc. Also, I won't get the velocity to maximize the 180's bc. The 6.5 creedmoor, amax all the way.

What I'm trying to say is, shoot what's there i guess and get a comparator if loading smk's

They both perform well in my Remington 700 1:12 factory barrel. Although the 168 Amax will produce a tighter group (for me), this is after a few years of workups, with various powders, cases and primers.

Both can be seated to mag length

- 175 has a higher bc and will maintain more energy downrange
    - The 175 SMK is available as a pulled bullet and the Grafs 175 BTHP is the same bullet just a little darker (oxidized?)

- The 168 is less expensive when purchased new
    - Also available in a box of 250.

I recently switched back to 168 SMK's because they are available from Grafs for near nothing. I shoot at 5000 ft so they will/should stay transonic past 1000. I know the limitations to my factory barrel, so in order to keep an edge on accuracy I will use the 168's. Although my rifle may be a 1000Y firearm, reality check has found that I only shoot from 500-800. Not going to sink any more money into something I dont shoot. If I do decide to take a serious approach at 1000y and further, i will build a 260 on a trued action/ match bbl.

Lastly for hunting, I know the Amax will perform as I have taken game. The SMK might, but I only have first hand experience with the Amax with harvesting game.

Last edited:
    Hmm hard choice. I've only played with the amax a bit over the last year but haven't really done enough research to switch from the 175 smk. The smk is the gold standard of .308's its not particularly awesome but it's always gives a consistent performance.

I am loading the 175 SMKs they seem to do better over 600 and are deadly on pigs @ any range. I would shoot what I can find.