• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

168 SMK seating depth

Twitch2120

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Atlanta, GA
what are you guys getting measurement wise from the case head to ogive? i used my LnL OAL and comparator and took 12 measurements.

longest was 2.349
shortest was 2.340
avg. was 2.344

while i have no problem using this measurement. the bullet base is about even with the bottom of the case neck. since its a boat tail bullet that only leaves a tenth or so contacting the neck. my concern is lower velocity/pressure/ignition issues and a higher chance of the bullet being deflected when being chambered. any thoughts on the subject?

do SMK's need to be close to the rifling similar to VLD's? are they considered secant or tangent ogive? what has worked well for you folks?

rifle is 700 AAC-SD

Re: 168 SMK seating depth

I bet you'll have just as much accuracy loading to 2.80 / 2.82" COAL. 168 SMK's love jump, even with long throated Remington factory barrels.

i was wondering about that. as was said ill stick them deeper in and just run with it. when the bergers come in i will see about kissing the lands.

I have no issues loading to mag length. 2.800-2.820. Jagged77 is very correct. SMKs very tolerant. Thats one of the +s of SMKs.