• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

168gn Berger, PP2000MR -Noob .308 Load Work Up-

RuckSack

Single Stacker
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2012
South Mississippi
Hello all,

I've recently dove into reloading and wanted to share my first workup with everyone in the hopes that someone might chime in if anything sounds out of the ordinary. I would hate to find out the hard way that I've created 14 sticks of dynamite. Here goes:

I started by finding my maximum COAL by using a Hornady OAL gauge w/modified case along with their comparator kit. After a few tries recording my results with consistent numbers I then averaged them to 3.307" base to ogive. This measurement is including the comparator which was zeroed in my calipers.

I also took a second to record OAL to get an idea of what I was looking at for an average round length, (base to tip), at max COAL, (base to ogive), and found an average of 2.990". I am planning to run these in my AI 5-rd mags, so worth mentioning the inside of the mag measurement of roughly 2.898" which I rounded down to 2.895" to be safe.

I wasn't too thrilled that I would be jumping so far with my thoughts on starting loads jammed and working backward, but I figured mag length is max, work backwards from there as far as seating depth, shouldn't have an issue. With that being said, I have read a bit about the 168gn Berger liking to be jumped considerably, up to 0.150 if I remember correctly. So there in lies hope.

As such, max COAL became 3.212" from base to ogive, measured in the comparator. This was based roughly on the desired base to tip measurement of 2.895" and results in a jump of ~0.095" to the lands. Interesting maybe to someone; I chose 10 bullets at random and measured them to the tip finding variation not exceeding 0.004". Not to say that my calipers are anything special or that I'm an expert with them, and also not to say that I am loading based on base to tip measurement…as I am seating based on an ogive calculated die.

Moving on, I set up my seating die to 3.210" with a dedicated unprimed case and a brand new shiny bullet. I then recorded the data on the case in Sharpie and placed it neatly away in the die case. I chose this ogive measurement as a nice round version of the above COAL desired. Having done that I moved along to powdering 14 cases in increments of 0.5gn. I weighed each charge carefully.

Referencing Alliant's website, Hornady's manual, and one other reference that seems to have slipped my mind, I arrived at some ideas on where to start. Long story short, I wrote down all the max load numbers from each reference where they used PP2000MR with 165-168gn bullets. I also looked at 155gn and 178gn max loads with the same powder. I came up with an average of 48.85gn which I rounded up to 49gn.

With that number, I subtracted 10% and arrived at 44.1gn which I called 44.0gn in order to salvage my sanity as I am not so premium with the math anyhow. Starting there I wrote down and then loaded up the following ladder:

1-44.0
2-44.5
3-45.0
4-45.5
5-46.0
6-46.5
7-47.0
8-47.5
9-48.0
10-48.5
11-49.0
12-49.5
12 1/2
14-50.5

I plan to work it at 300yds soon.

For the Record so I haven't missed anything:

Never Fired Lapua brass, lightly inside chamfered
CCI BR-2 primers
Alliant PP2000MR 44.0-50.5gn
COAL-3.210"
OAL~2.895"
Max Chamber COAL-3.307"
Remington 700 action
20" 1:10 twist
Berger 168gn VLD Target .308

Sorry for the novel and details. I hope I covered everything and conveyed myself appropriately. I'm not too worried exactly… :confused: but it would be lovely to know I'm not going to hurt something. :cool:

Anyone running anything similar they would like to share or notice anything screwy here that I need to address?

As an added precaution, I followed advice I had read on here somewhere and I recorded the round number and grains on each round with black sharpie. Any rounds past number 8 received a healthy dose of red sharpie to the projectile itself. Just to remind me be extra nervous..

Points of concern or lessons learned greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I can tell you right now, you can stop at 47grs. Of course you're suppose to workup and all that, maybe start at 46grs, I use lapua brass with 168AMAXs, and same primers as you're using and I use 47grs 2000MR, that 2.985" oal is going to be tight in your AI mags, btw. With that OAL is the bullets into or jumped from the lands, VLDs like very little jump, Berger says no more than .005".
And Alliant used Win brass to workup their loads, lapua doesnt hold as much powder as Win so I wouldnt go within 1.5grs of max.

Last edited:
Oh, do you have a powder measure yet? If not Hornady makes good one, once you have it set for the right weight, you can forget about weighing each charge, 2000MR flows like water thru any measure. Very accurate powder, well, it's a ball powder so...................

I can tell you right now, you can stop at 47grs. Of course you're suppose to workup and all that, maybe start at 46grs, I use lapua brass with 168AMAXs, and same primers as you're using and I use 47grs 2000MR, that 2.985" oal is going to be tight in your AI mags, btw. With that OAL is the bullets into or jumped from the lands, VLDs like very little jump, Berger says no more than .005".
And Alliant used Win brass to workup their loads, lapua doesnt hold as much powder as Win so I wouldnt go within 1.5grs of max.
This is why you need to work up a load. I shoot the 168 Hybrid from an AICS Mag(its a long bullet) with great results @ 48.2 gr of 2000MR in virgin Lapua brass(no sticky bolt with very very light extractor mark if any) on a FGMM cut chamber. I am willing to bet that you will get some pressure around the 48.5+ and 47.5-48.5 being a good vert on your ladder.

This is why you need to work up a load. I shoot the 168 Hybrid from an AICS Mag(its a long bullet) with great results @ 48.2 gr of 2000MR in virgin Lapua brass(no sticky bolt with very very light extractor mark if any) on a FGMM cut chamber. I am willing to bet that you will get some pressure around the 48.5+ and 47.5-48.5 being a good vert on your ladder.

What kinda accuracy you getting? Curious.

Thanks everyone for the information. I didn't expect such a flood of great responses. I should've mentioned that these are my first hand loads EVER. Also, I have a Lee perfect powder measure for throwing charges but, for the sake of my own sanity, (being a virgin hand loader and quite "nervous like"), and having only needed to load the above mentioned 14 rounds, I chose to just hand weigh each one to exactly the proposed charge. Labeled each round with plans on marking each shot as I go.

It sounds like my best nodes will occur around 46-48 gn. I'll sure to be on the lookout for pressure near 46 now I think from what I am hearing back from everyone. Good things to know. As far as my rifle it hasn't eaten anything prior to this with exception to 50 rds of FMJ Ball which was more academic and for zeroing in my scope.

On another note, I was very meticulous on measuring the inside of my magazines. All 14 loads were cycled through the mag to ensure operation. Though they are so very close to the front of the mag. Great info thus far from everyone. Thanks again fellas.

With that OAL is the bullets into or jumped from the lands, VLDs like very little jump, Berger says no more than .005".

With that in mind, I will reference this thread that I am basing a lot of my hopes on. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/27397-vlds-mag-feed-308-a.html
In the thread above, (I believe), there is a section with a bulletin from Berger about finding the sweet spot with this bullet. They explain that seating depth is critical with these bullets in a way and to perform a test seating the following:

0.010 jump
0.050 jump
0.090 jump
0.130 jump

One of those should outperform the others.

But to answer your question, I am calculating 0.095" jump to the lands. I will be working my way AWAY from the lands toward 0.130 to see where my rifle likes it. I realize I will have to tweak my charges for this later but I figure it's all in the fun of the game and I needed somewhere to start.

Nasty just FYI my rifle was a SPS Varmint before the gunsmith worked on it and the only bullet that it did not shoot MOA consistantly was the 168 VLD. In saying that I was a noob reloader then and maybe did not do something right. That long throat and mag feeding just is not the most optimum conditions for the VLD(long throat is the key). Single loading would be nice since you stick a bunch of powder in there but mag feed is the way to go.
Gorski ill post the pics shortly.

Im afraid if you're more than .010" off the lands those VLDs wont shoot for shit. If you're shooting a factory Remington barrel it definitely has a long throat and if you try to seat them out to touch the lands you might not have enough bullet inside the case and the rounds wont fit your mag.
1. You could try another bullet that isnt so fussy about jump or not. (168AMAXs work very well for me.)
2. Seat these VLDs to just kiss the lands and if that OAL happens to be too long for your mag, you'll have to single feed them.
3. Buy a Bartlein and have the chamber reamed for the 168VLDs.

Nasty can you measure how long the 168 VLD is?
48.2 gr and 48.7 gr 2000mr Mag fed 168 gr Hybrid.

Im afraid if you're more than .010" off the lands those VLDs wont shoot for shit. If you're shooting a factory Remington barrel it definitely has a long throat and if you try to seat them out to touch the lands you might not have enough bullet inside the case and the rounds wont fit your mag.
1. You could try another bullet that isnt so fussy about jump or not. (168AMAXs work very well for me.)
2. Seat these VLDs to just kiss the lands and if that OAL happens to be too long for your mag, you'll have to single feed them.
3. Buy a Bartlein and have the chamber reamed for the 168VLDs.

Not true, I jump the VLDs a mile (.140) in my hunting rig 308 (TC Icon Precision Hunter). I'm running 44gr Varget, Fed 210M primer, and 168 VLD (orange box) and it shoots under half inch groups at 100 yards (5 shots) and its a bone stock gun off the shelf with a heavy ass trigger......lol.......It shoots better jumping a mile than it ever did close to the lands. Just gotta test it to find out what it likes. My custom 6.5 X 47 also hammers with 130 VLDs jumping but it also shoots damn good with a hard jam. That particular rifle will just flat out shoot anything you feed it!

Last edited:
I measured from base to tip and I'm getting 1.277-1.279".
With my comparator zeroed to the caliper I am getting base to ogive 1.693".

I zero the comparator at 1.0 on the dial caliper if that helps.

I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of my ladder results at the range. Hopefully I haven't started some debate between jumping and jamming. For what else it's worth I am shooting the yellow box, VLD Target rds. My calipers are Lyman, my comparator is Hornady. My zero on my caliper for the comparator requires about 0.003-0.004 right turn of the bezel.

Thanks a ton to everyone who shared their load data, pictures, and groups.

Last edited:
u3e9ygen.jpg

My baby.

8yruzagy.jpg

My ladder test.. @200 yards. Could've gone better. I think I had a case of the "first hand load jitters". Shots 5, 7, and 10 were called bad. 1, and 2 weren't worth my time. I stopped at #10 due to light ejector swipe marks. Bolt lift was normal. Was about 90 degrees today in Missoula. On second thought I kind of like 7-10 even thought not my best work behind the trigger, promising perhaps?

5y2ubahy.jpg

From top to bottom: rounds 6-10.

All in all not a bad day. I feel like I could either repeat the ladder from 4-10, but I'm actually decently happy with #7-9 and think I'm going to pursue an ocw approach with .1 gn increments from 47.0-48.0gn. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376181731.658291.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376181731.658291.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 28
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376181746.172633.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376181746.172633.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 26
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376181768.684867.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376181768.684867.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
At what distance and what are the charge weights for each number?
Nice looking boomstick.

Thank you Fredo! I call her Jackie Brown. Shoots like a dream so far, although I really hate my bipod. I want to upgrade to an Atlas soon.

3-45.0
4-45.5
5-46.0
6-46.5
7-47.0
8-47.5
9-48.0
10-48.5

Shot from 200 yards. I would have liked to have gone out to 300-400 but there was a 1000 yard tournament going on this weekend so the member side of the range is closed. Had to go kick it with the non-members at the 200 yd range on the other side.

Last edited:
I figured that's what it was going to be. Don't do .1 gr OCW do .3. You now know what the pressure limits are. Do 47, 47.3, 47.6, 47.9, 48.2, 48.5. I only shoot 4 rd groups for OCW but you can do whatever you want. You should find something there.
Good luck.

Thank you sir. Yes I was very impressed that your guess was so close to what ended up looking the best on paper. It was nice to have that number in the back of my head when looking at the target to decipher the results. Thank you for that. You were dead on. Also thanks for the OCW advice. I'm going to load em up tonight and be on the range again tomorrow early. I'll post results again tomorrow evening.

Food for thought: I'm considering removing the front plate of my AI mags and notching the lower feed ramp as I've seen done. If I do so, I may fully explore seating depth by reworking the entire load and starting as close to the lands as possible and working my way back to 0.095 or so which is what I am basically shooting now. I'm very interested to see how tight the groups will be at this much jump for the moment.

I'm glad that I did not look like an ass. Lol
I hear you on that. Those 168 hybrids are stuffed in that case with AICS mags. I'm about to get a meplat trimmer soon because every once in a while some are whacked and get caught on the ramp. I would like a little breathing room. I'm ready to see.

I know what you mean about breathing room. I picked a helluva round to load up for my virgin try at it. I figure if I mod the mags and the ramp I'll be able to play with the 208's. I have a few of them lying around. Mostly why I'm pushing the 2000MR. I also have some benchmark powder I may try with the 168.

I finally had time to make it back to the range. Here are the results of my ocw round robin. Four rounds per target from 100 yds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376846960.651806.jpg

Reading this thread you seem to be doing it the right way.
A smith told me a long time ago to find a jump that you feel is close to where you want to be. Then work your powder weight until you come up with the most accurate. Next go back and tweak the OL . After that you should be where you want to be.
I use 44g of Benchmark. 2800fps. 165 sst.