• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

168gr .308 vs 175 drop comparison? For BDC

Lucreau

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2017
CO
Tried searching around couldn’t find too much. My Leupold mk4 has the BDC for 168gr .308. Without shooting both 175 and 168 to compare right now, can anyone tell me the difference in drop on paper for the 2 at various distances? Trying to figure out if I can still use the BDC with 175gr
Thanks

168 Federal Gold Medal Match
IMG_1800.jpg

175 Federal Gold Medal Match
IMG_1801.jpg

Tried searching around couldn’t find too much. My Leupold mk4 has the BDC for 168gr .308. Without shooting both 175 and 168 to compare right now, can anyone tell me the difference in drop on paper for the 2 at various distances? Trying to figure out if I can still use the BDC with 175gr
Thanks

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

I don't have any 175 grain loads. I probably will not have any of those for a long time as I have almost a couple thousand factory load of Federal Match ammo with the 168 gr SMK. I also have about 20,000 rounds of handloads with 167 gr Lapua bullets in Federal brass that I haven't shot yet.

I chronographed the factory loads a couple of days ago. Attached is the result from feeding the information in JBM ballistics with my rifle.

Notice that the velocity of the factory loads is a little slower than what the above tables are showing. That also translates into a bigger drop at 1000 yards compared to the above.

I worked up some handloads that are pushing the same bullets at about the same velocity as the factory loads. My results in the field with the handloads out to 1,000 yards are pretty consistent with what the attached printout shows.

With that said, I would also chronograph any factory loaded 175 grain bullets.

Attachments

• Remington 700 Police 308 WW FEDERAL 20190101.pdf
    226 KB · Views: 168
Thanks
Much depends on your density altitude figures

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
The BDC may still be usable at close ranges, but out at distance not so much.

175gr SMK's will perform better out past 700 yards. Also, the 168gr SMK's are known for having stability issues at longer distances; they'll allow for very tight groups at 100 yards, but it doesn't translate to good performance at longer (+700 yard) ranges.

I appreciate everyone! This got me what I need to know, I’m going to run 175s