• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 168gr vs. 175 gr for Police Sniper Applications

buggsb

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
S. California
Our Snipers have been using Winchester Match 168 gr BTHP ammo for some time now. We are currently doing some re-asseessment of our equipment and tactics to ensure that these are aligned with the potential scenario's that we will be asked to deal with.

We operate in a primarily urban environment. Consistent with urban Police engagements most of our scenario's involve potential shots of 100 yards or less, though we have a few venues in the city that could realistically present a much longer shot.

Many of our scenarios could also require penetration of an intermediate barrier and therefore we are discussing whether the heavier 175 gr BTHP might offer some advantage.

I have personally played with the 175 gr bullet on occasion and like it's ability to minimize wind impact, but I don't envision this being a primary consideeration in most of our potential engagements. In general I have not seen any accuracy disadvantage of the 175's

Aside from the fact that availabliity of factory match 175 gr ammo may be somewhat more difficult, are thare any other potential disadvantages to switching from 168's to 175's that I should consider???

Please confine responses to this specific application. We are not trying to shoot small groups in paper. We have a mission to place one accurate shot on a threat, on demand (where an intermediate barrier is a likely complication). Anything other than factory ammunition is not an option.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may offer!!!!

Re: 168gr vs. 175 gr for Police Sniper Applications

Inside 100 yards, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference but I'd opt the 175's by default every time. More energy, less wind drift and greater range are all pluses. I stay stack the deck to your favor...............just in case

Re: 168gr vs. 175 gr for Police Sniper Application

Go to M4Carbine.net and search for posts on the topic by DocGKR.

Our SWAT snipers are using the Hornady 168 gr. for everything. Since the average police sniper shot is around 70 yards, you really dont pick up or lose any ballistics between the two rounds. Look at the Hornady, you will be suprised!

I would look at the ammo provider and not so much the weight. There are a lot of different providers out there now that specialize in barrier penetration and there have been a great deal of studies to prove which rounds and manufacturers can penetrate glass and other barriers successfully.

-Nate

Hornady 168 TAP rounds. Is what our lawyers let us play with.

There's always hornadys new 178 bthp with thier super secret powder

For your stated application there is no advantage to the 175SMK's.

You stated that you want to switch to a better barrier round. So do that.

Do you teach keeping track of two zeros? If so, add an ammo choice for barriers.

Buggsb,
If you are currently using 168 grain. You may wanna check out the 165 grain trophy bonded bullets. I know one agency in California that uses them for barrier penetration. You will need to log the poa/poi difference. Just my .02

SOTA

168 gr Hornady TAP. They have the penetration and energy you need for your specific application. I've done windshield/car door penetration test and I was very happy with the results. Try shooting a few boxes and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

168 TAP. Great overall and good for urban environment. We have found it to be very accurate as well.

The other plus is that the brass left over from practice works great in my personal gun.
smile.gif

Thanks for your inputs! this gives me some good food for thought. I had heard good things about the TAP rounds and need to look further into that.

You can also try American Sniper Assoc. and see what data they have for barriers and ammo stuff. They have a lot of info based on real world scenarios(available to LE only)
laugh.gif