• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

16inch barrel VS 22inch barrel

sniper300blue

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
missouri
im getting a new gun i didnt know how much a 5inches or barrel will help for shooting groups and anyone help with this? be a 50 to 100yd gun

Re: 16inch barrel VS 22inch barrel

If it's just a bench gun then it seriously is JUST user preference. The velocity won't matter because it's short range. Maneuverability doesn't matter because it won't be off the bench correct? Same goes for weight. I don't see a reason to go either way for the purposes you listed. I personally like my rifles with short barrels but that's just my own personal preference and either way you look at it, both lengths are still reletively short compared to typical standard and magnum caliber guns.

I have a 21" 22lr and love it, but I want to pound small game too and it's no fun to shoot offhand with so I'll probably be trading it in for something more usefull to my personal purposes.

Sorry, just assumed it'd be shot off bench only, just realized you never really stated that anywhere. Model specs and specific purposes would go a long way though. Clarify for me please!
smile.gif

I wanted to chop my barrel, but it takes a longer barrel to stabilize that speedy little 17 bullet, so I let it be. I like the little target tactical look.

I had a 12.5 inch Tac Sol SB-X barrel on my 10-22 and it would do about a half inch at 50 yards.

As long as you are starting with a barrel of decent quality and/or have the work done by someone who knows what they are doing then you should be alright.

It will change the harmonics of the barrel which could result in different brands of ammo shooting better or worse.

Let's say for hunting only, which would be better, short or long?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread
blush.gif

its for bench shooting a 22lr and there both factory guns the savage trr-sr 22 barrel and the fv-sr 16.5 barrel didnt know if one was better than the other same guns but 5 inch shorter barrel didnt know if there was much differnts

I like the shorter barrel for hunting but there is no real gain in velocity or accuracy with a longer barrel(for that application anyway) as long as you get a good barrel. I believe you get complete burn with a 17" barrel so the rest is just dead weight.that being said I have shot some very accurate 10/22s that were packin 22"-24" barrels. A bit much to pack in the field imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> its for bench shooting a 22lr and there both factory guns the savage trr-sr 22 barrel and the fv-sr 16.5 barrel didnt know if one was better than the other same guns but 5 inch shorter barrel didnt know if there was much differnts
</div></div> Yeah it's really just whichever style you prefer at that point then. But keep in mind, a longer barrel can be made shorter, but the same cannot be said for the shorter barrel. Just something to keep in mind
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMGibson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's say for hunting only, which would be better, short or long?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread
blush.gif
</div></div> IMHO the shorter would be better for hunting applications. The reason being, less weight, and more maneuverability. And the only reason I would want the longer barrel in a hunting application is if iron sights were used. For the longer sight radius of course.

The main advantage to a barrel longer than 16" is that the iron sight radius become longer, which is supposed to aid the sighting process. With scopes, that's not an issue.

16" is enough length to get the full performance from the average .22LR cartridge.