• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.17 HMR at 200 yards

gathert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2011
Tigertown, USA.
Got a one in a million shot a while back. The 17 grain bullet stopped just short of fully exiting the golf ball and the bullet seems to have retained all of its weight minus that little red plastic tip on the Hornady bullet. The rest of the bullet passed right on through and took out 1/3 of the golf ball with them thats on the back side not visible in the picture.

Up next in sports, I'm going to take my .17 out to 300, 400, and 500 yards or more on paper at the Gun Site Hills range in Georgia once I can get the time to head down there. 50 MOA holdover for 500 yards will be interesting
smile.gif

DSCF5406.jpg

DSCF5405.jpg

DSCF5404.jpg

DSCF5403.jpg

Re: .17 HMR at 200 yards

CZ 455 .17 HMR

Hornaday .17 ammunition

I took it out to 300, w/ a 100yrd zero I dialed 3 mills and there she was, dead on.

The trick I found was the wind if it gusted I'd miss if it died I'd miss.

but when conditions were constant the little .17 was a constant ringer.

Good luck past 300, that seems to be the point of trans sonic flight.

I use a Savage model 93 BTVS. I'm hoping past 300 turns out alright, even if it key holes I'l be ok with that since I can dial in with my scope most of the elevation I'll need. Wind will of course be the biggest factor. Might bring a few boxes of 20g instead of 17g bullets for my long range escapades, though I doubt it will do much at that distance.

besides the 3 grain difference the speed is considerably slower, thereby negating the entire purpose of the 17.

dialing the elevation is nice but a bullet that flies sideways is anything but consistent.

but what the hell give it a shot, I'll probably try, but I will increase distance in 25yrd increments until accuracy goes over 2moa or keyholes out of control.

Yeah, its just a fun idea to try and see how far out the bullet will go. No harm in trying, unless some unlucky squirrel decides to visit the range.

Found some old pictures of my gun

IMG_7246-1.jpg

IMG_7253-1.jpg

IMG_7254-1.jpg

Looks good. Only negative thing about mine is the mags dont like to feed every once in a while. They are cheap stamped metal and could easily have been improved.

He will have to stop the wind and tell the bullet to stay supersonic all the way to 500 yard mark.

FWIW this particular CZ 17HMR feeds like a dream, even from a cheap plastic magazine. Seriously smooth as butter.

I'm think If I can hold 2moa at 400 I will be impressed, although I think I am going to spin out of control before I get to 350. I'll be out at the ranch in two weeks to give it a try.

Then I'll compare my info with whatever anyone else posts here.

I havent been to the long range yet, but I get paid in a few days so I'll set up a trip. Probably next weekend I'll give it a go. The range in GA is a 1.5 hour drive from me.

Ok guys I made it out to the Gun Sight Hills range in Georgia. As a side note, that guy has a thing against college kids for some reason. But I digress. Here is a target I shot at 300 yards with my .17 HMR. First two shots are on the right that are touching, then I adjusted left and hit the bullseye. I also hit a 400 yard bullseye on paper but don't have that in a picture of mine. The pictures on steel at 400 yards with the .17 HMR aren't anything to write home about, they barely left a mark.

If anyone is in the GA/SC area, check out the GSH range, it was a lot of fun to shoot there and there is steel all the way out to 700 yards.

100_0750.jpg

I never found any of my .17 shots like that. Time to get the ole 17 out again.

I was pretty surprised at how well it did that far. I was going to try to shoot for the 700 yard target, but even with a 600 yard zero the 4th mil dot down was 630 yards so the little .17 is artillery fire at that point.

I love my ruger .17, I dropped a javalina last deer season from 225 yards.

I sit legal to hunt with that in your area? In SC you can't use anything smaller than .223. So that means .22 and .17 are out with the exception of the big .22 guns like .22-250.

Wow. I did not realize the .17 HMR could actually throw one out that far, that accurately. How much drop does the 17 grain bullet have at lets say, 300 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sit legal to hunt with that in your area? In SC you can't use anything smaller than .223. So that means .22 and .17 are out with the exception of the big .22 guns like .22-250. </div></div>

I'm not sure, I have never had any other hunters say anything about it.

Just got a 17HMR barrel for my Sako Quad trainer. Can't wait to get time to stretch it out some. I've made some 200+ yard hits on prairie dogs with it out the truck window. That is with my CZ 452 varmint. I can tell you that it will make the kill but is not impressive at that distance. I like to see the heads pop at around 75 yards. Ain't that sick!

Close in the .17 is hard to beat, but it will still pack a punch out to about 200 yards for clean kills. Beyond that its just target practice. it bounces off steel at 400 yards.

Nice shooting! I found the 20gr xtp's hit higher and were more accurate than most of the 17gr's I tried at 200yds. Anything with a v-max bullet was all over the place. The federal 17gr jhp and cci's version performed the best. I chrono'd some ammo too, i'll post numbers when I'm not posting from this dang DROID

i just got a thumbhole like the picture in this thread. iv only been to the range once. it would seem mine doesnt like the hornady 17grain the 20grain grouped way better. which is sad, as i wanted to use the 17gr. even tho it seems there made in the same factory, i will try another brand 17gr and hope for improvment.

with my 3x9x40. i couldnt even see where the shots landed at 100 yards.

Each gun likes different bullets, you just have to find the right one. My scope goes to 24x so I can pretty much read the tiny letters on targets. Its nice being able to see that close but backing out the magnification for useful shots up close has its merits too.

Good shooting past 300 yards with a 17 grain bullet. In Oklahoma we seem to have about 10 days a freaking year with no wind and I try to get out and shoot on all of them.
I have to agree with gathert. I shoot prairie dogs but have lost several dogs over 200 yards because of the energy lost. 200 yards and in, it is awesome on the flea barring varmints.

The day ever comes we go to war against top flight golf balls, you are going to kick ass !