• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .17 hmr on yotes?

mp45acp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
behind enemy lines, so.cal.
Hey guys, lookin for stories good or bad in regards to using the .17 hmr on doggies or similiar sized game, 25 to 40 pds.

I use a .243 as my primary predator gun, but my damn savage .17 keeps asking me to take it hunting everytime I open my gun safe, so I am curious.

Thanks

Re: .17 hmr on yotes?

if you don't hunt with dogs you'll lose a LOT of coyotes with a 17hmr, we use them early in the morning so we don't disturb too many people, but thats running them with hounds, you get a lot of yotes that run a loooong ways before going down,

Steve

shot a few with a HMR biggest problem for me is wind drift, but most did the dirt nap thing, i even shot antelope with my HMR haven't had one run over 10mtrs.

I wouldn't use a 17HMR on anything bigger than a rabbit.

I killed a yote with a 17hummer @ 100yrs ish. Yote was sitting, facing me. Skoozzle pipe insertion... dead with in a few yards. Is the 17Hummer optimal? No. Will I continue to shoot coyote sized critters with the 17Hummer? Hell Yes!

I'd shoot a yote with a daisy red rider BB gun if it's the only thing I had to use! And once I piss him off enough and comes runnin after me...i'll use my Chuck Norris tactics to take him down! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd shoot a yote with a daisy red rider BB gun if it's the only thing I had to use! And once I piss him off enough and comes runnin after me...i'll use my Chuck Norris tactics to take him down! LOL </div></div>

judo chop.

I along with atleast 5 buddys shoot yotes with .17 HMR's and never had a problem. Although all of our hunting grounds limit us to less than 100 yard shots.

Blake.

It's just like anything else. Shot placement and understanding the capabilities/limitations of the round in question.

I have used the 17HMR's little brother, the 17M2, with excellent results. Shot one in the left ear at 30 yards. Dropped like a stone, did a little kickin chicken and was out.

Was not a planned hunt, he was in the front yard. To which I snuck out the back door and got a shot.

there have been plenty of deer shot with the 17hmr,,,not that i would know...u have to use the 20gr tnts so they penatrate the skulls and bones...as always shot placement is key,,, deer laugh at the little 17gr bullets with the plastic...just shake there head and walk away

I have shot p-dogs/gophers/rabbits with the .17hmr, but that is about as far as I would go. Differnt game NEEDS different calibers. I don't give a shit about how good of a shot you are.

as said before i dont believe the 17 gr bullets have enough penetration for bigger game but the 20gr fmj cci's explode the back half of a coyotes head open the size of a base ball at about 100 yds

I've shot 2 coyotes with the .17 HMR. One in the head and he dropped like a rock, no problem, right around 50 yards. The other I punched one through the heart (behind the shoulder) at 75 yards. He ran just a little bit, then raised up his head and died. Although it's not necessarily the best thing in the world for coyotes, it'll kill them. I would'nt recomment taking a shoudler shot or something like that, but if you can hit the head or heart/lungs, they work. Some of us kill coyotes with anything we have (dogs, cars, ATV's, rifles, shotguns, rocks), whatever.

Shot several with the HMR. All were headshots and within reasonable range (<100 yards). Given a 17gr pill in the nugget I never had any problems.

shakey yankee said:
It's just like anything else. Shot placement and understanding the capabilities/limitations of the round in question.

+1 What he said!

I have not yet shot any yotes with one, but have killed many extremely large nutria (over 20 lbs) out to 150 yards and all went down where hit. Only head and neck shots though. I suspect it would be deadly on coyotes out to 100yd with right shot placement.

I use the 20 grain gamepoints and shoot them right in the head. The .17 HMR is plenty accurate for that out to the 100 yards max I would use it for. If I can see further than about 75 yards then I would be carrying something else for coyotes. Some places here require rimfire for coyote hunting so that is why I own the .17 HMR.