• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.17 HMR or .22LR?

Cfshooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
FL
I would love to hunt some public land during small game (squirrel, rabbit, hog, coyote) season here in FL, but they only allow rimfire. I only own one .22 rifle, an old JC Higgins that was my first gun. I haven’t shot it in years and what I remember, it was not very accurate. Now I am in the market and trying to decide if I should go .22 or .17 HMR. I would also be using the rifle to practice 100 yard groups with and to start my kids shooting on.

If looking for the most accuracy up to 100 yards, which would be the better choice, .22 or the .17 HMR? I would like something that can shoot MOA so I can get the most out of my practice. Budget for rifle $350.

.17HMR gang for life.

Don't get me wrong, 22 is super cool and super fun but for dedicated rimfire varminting 17HMR almost feels like cheating.

I went from 22lr to 17hmr for squirrels and will never go back. Like mammoth said, it makes it too easy. extremely flat shooting. point and click on squirrels. At 100 yards you will practically have 0 drop.

I do love my 17HMR It's a supersonic ice pick. I have taken many hogs out to about 75 + yds. with mine, you have to ear hole them though.

Reactions: Cfshooter
Thanks for the input guys. I have never been a fan of rimfire, only experience was with .22LR. Now you have me excited to try again but with the HMR.

Reactions: TheMammoth
Definitely the .17HMR. .22 LR is great, but the .17 is on the next level. My son and I shoot a lot of gophers and the difference in damage done between his .22lr and my .17HMR is significant. I have few of them, if moneys no object look at the Volquartsen in the .17 very user friendly. If on a budget the Marlin bolt shoots amazingly well for about 1/4 the money. I've also dabbled with the .17WMR, but the rifle offerings in Savage haven't impressed me too much, but the Volquartsen is nice.

I would love to hunt some public land during small game (squirrel, rabbit, hog, coyote) season here in FL, but they only allow rimfire. I only own one .22 rifle, an old JC Higgins that was my first gun. I haven’t shot it in years and what I remember, it was not very accurate. Now I am in the market and trying to decide if I should go .22 or .17 HMR. I would also be using the rifle to practice 100 yard groups with and to start my kids shooting on.

If looking for the most accuracy up to 100 yards, which would be the better choice, .22 or the .17 HMR? I would like something that can shoot MOA so I can get the most out of my practice. Budget for rifle $350.

It's that catch22 thing.

With a $350 rifle it's a gamble as to how well it will shoot with either cartridge. There is high quality match ammo for 22 rf but not for the 17 yet.

Wind advantage goes to the 17, as well as energy, and drop is hugely less, also there's a fun factor with it, and it feels like the recoil is less even though it is more powerful.

If you want to plink the 22 is cheaper to do that with obviously.

The one I'm most interested in is the new Tikka 1x, It's not proven out yet but Tikka makes nice stuff for the money and I'd surely bend the budget to get one.

Don’t discount the 17hm2 also. Ammo is getting better and I pay half as much as my 17hmr ammo.

Seems like we always shot groundhogs twice with the .22, or they could crawl away, never had to shoot twice with the .17

Coyote would not be the most targeted, if at all. It would have to be really close and ear hole it. Primarily will be training, teaching kids, and squirrels.

We hung ground squirrels in ranchers fields in the spring and there is no comparison between 17hmr and 22 for ease of hitting them all day long.

It just is more expensive. Not unheard of shooting 200.00 worth of 17hmr in a day but totally worth it.

This year I have enough Mach2 ammo and I am going to take a semiauto 22 as back up and see how it goes.

But because the 17hmr shoots so much flatter than the 22lr. It makes it a lot easier at 100 yards for kids to shoot well.

Also the explosiveness on targets makes it a favorite for kids. Took my nieces out shooting this year for their 1st time and I had to pry the 17hmr out of their hands when I set it up with soda cans and eggs to shoot at.

Check out a Marlin 917 VR. I put a rifle basix trigger on and dropped in a Boyd’s stock and it used to shoot clovers at 50 and near MOA out to 300

D99EA601-3B0F-49A3-B91A-A39259BA7E45.jpeg

That is good stuff Justin. I think the decision is made. Thanks for posting the different groups and Ammo.

Okay, so what did you decide?
ebI5CAVHSun8DRj7_cd-emKThSRciomK25wPwZQY2urSwgcqaZkR49FxPsDEO3hTVDUiEksXRpUwCVRfJg=s18

After all that discussion, inquiring minds want to know.
sJb9yGTIN3wrjVD1Cj647k2vb6HvpEVOQNkF2Qx-iFsRtEBTCaAyT1aIVKyNRJmqjT3erCnIt0hpw6b3KQ=s18
So I am waiting on meeting up to trade a Rock Island Tactical 1911 in .45 for a NIB Savage B17FVSS. Comes with 2x7 Vortex Crossfire II, and a Harris Bipod.

Thoughts?

i think it's time for you to shoot some 50 shot groups at 200 yards
and post pics of rifle, range and results so I can hijack them into my ongoing thread 50 at 200.
Hp1yF2fDMpjz1jh3Rud4yshOe9DyA4_tDYC1D4eVKHbpt-xbsJTTo6PJ77Ifij4LPfMl97gOCmJA9PNjtw=s15

i think it's time for you to shoot some 50 shot groups at 200 yards
and post pics of rifle, range and results so I can hijack them into my ongoing thread 50 at 200.
Hp1yF2fDMpjz1jh3Rud4yshOe9DyA4_tDYC1D4eVKHbpt-xbsJTTo6PJ77Ifij4LPfMl97gOCmJA9PNjtw=s15
I am just waiting on him to tell me where and when I can go pick it up. First stop after will be indoor range to see how it functions. Then I will bring it home and make sure everything is tight. Then I will take it to the outdoor range and see how she does. Will will find your thread and post it up.

So I now have a Savage B17 FVSS. It came with a 2x7 Vortex which is fine for now but the eye piece just barely touches the action. I could get higher rings but will just switch to a rail style Picatinny mount. Anybody have any recommendations for a rail that will fit the B17?

Attachments

• 6E5DC278-A88C-4F17-B156-0B288483CBA1.jpeg
    6E5DC278-A88C-4F17-B156-0B288483CBA1.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
If you are never going out beyond 200 yards, then the zero MOA would be fine since you're only looking at about 20 MOA. Something like the Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire scope has 60 MOA of elevation adjustment.

Personally I like stretching out rimfire (22LR) and have a couple setup to go well beyond 200 yards.

I am not experienced enough to take the light rounds out much over 100 most likely. If I know I am going 100-400 I will use my .223. This .17hmr will be for teaching kids and small game rimfire hunts. I may just throw some medium weaver style rings on it and call it quits. I hate to go weaver rings, but if I need more scope power, I have a 3x9x40 on my .223 with a 1” tube I can slap in the rings as well. It will save me some cash for new glass for the .223.

I know the 17 has a little more zip for hunting, but don’t overlook how the NRL 22 matches, and other 22 matches are growing. Great family fun, and a very affordable way to get kids or other family members involved in long range tactical type shooting.

I am not experienced enough to take the light rounds out much over 100 most likely.

I've only been shooting rifles again for about 8-9 months after a long (over 30 years) break from firearms. It's rather addictive and it's not really that hard to learn to stretch out the range on rimfire. A little ballistic info, a smidge of weather data, a ballistic calculator and you're in business. Just take small steps in increasing your range.

What got me shooting 22 a lot was NRL22. I'm not worth a damned at it, but I'm having a great time out learning, shooting, and socializing.

ive been using a savage 93r17 17hmr for several years. hunting squirrels, I only do head shots otherwise you destroy all the meat. but as far as accuracy, im 1/2 moa at 100 yds, can consistently hit soda cans at 200 yds, and can shoot the heads off of matches at 50 yds.