• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 HMR problems

mr4mojo2risin0

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Zanesvlle,Ohio
Hi guys any advice would be appreciated. I just shot my CZ427 Varmint 17HMR today with CCI 17gr vmax ammo. Great conditions 75 degrees and calm. I put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 up top with warne rings, and a rimfire technologies 1 piece base. It was all over the place. Looked like i shot the target with 4 shot. I was very disappointed. Did the normal troubleshooting, rings tight, base tight, no parallax. Shot off a bench with bipod, and rear bag. Just curious if anyone has had issues with cci ammo? I have 2 other CZ rifles and they shoot lights out. I guess it could be the gun, but that would be the last thing I would worry about. Also have any of you guys free floated the barrels on your CZ and bedded the action? I guess I did not think it was a big deal on a rimfire. NEED HELP!

Re: 17 HMR problems

Well......

My CZ really needs to be clean, or it too looks like I am patterning a shotgun.

Changed my moderator the other day as well, back to scattergun mode, so it may be something to do with the barrel harmonics.

My best guess, the bore needs cleaning. The CZ barrel seems to dirty up quite quickly, and really needs to be clear of ALL contamination to get the best results. Most guys I know running the .17hmr through a CZ are cleaning after like 20 rounds or so.

It is a screamer, so expect those itty bitty boolits to leave some jacket behind as they leap headlong up that tiny bore.

Let me know how you get on.

Neil

I'd say it's your ammo. I tried the CCI v-max tips in my Marlin and had the same exact problem. Gun just doesn't like them. I never figured out what caused it. The CCI TNT hollow points are it's favorite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say it's your ammo. I tried the CCI v-max tips in my Marlin and had the same exact problem. Gun just doesn't like them. I never figured out what caused it. The CCI TNT hollow points are it's favorite. </div></div>
What grain TNT's are you talking about? They make a 16gr and a 17gr.

^ I use the 17. I've never used anything else but 17 gr. in my rifle cause I only target shoot.

I've only ever shot the 17grn V-max from Hornady. Tack driver at 100m IF the barrel is clean.

There is a 20grn TNT load if I am not mistaken.

Try that, or else try another brand of ammo.

You didn't say whether the barrel was shiny clean...

Neil

I moved down to FL in March from upstate NY. Up north I only used v-max ammo. For some reason they just don't stand up to the heat down here in FL. Once the barrel gets pretty warm they start to walk on me. The CCI TNT's stand up to the heat no problem. I know some guys at the range who have to clean their barrels after about 20 rounds like Paduan Learner mentioned. Some guys have to let their rifles cool after only 5 - 10 rounds. I fire a string of 25, then wait about 10 - 15 minutes, and then another string of 25. My rifle loves a dirty barrel. I only clean it about once every thousand rounds. To me .17's just seem to have a mind of their own.

Thanks for the info guys. This was a brand new gun with a clean bore to start out yesterdays session. Within the first 20 shots it was all over the place. I guess I will try the TNT ammo and clean the bore after a few shots and see if the improves the groups. When you say clean the barrel are you just talking about running a bore snake through the barrel, or a full solvent cleaning?

I do a full solvent cleaning. I use break free, then let it sit for about an hour, and then run dry patches through it until they are clean. Accuracy-wise, the rifle doesn't really even need it, but I do it anyway just to take care of it. The 17 is my favorite rifle, so I want it to hold up for a while.

I think I have settled on a couple things. There is a really good custom stock maker in my area. I am going to drop it off to him and have him float the barrel by opening up the barrel channel, and pillar and glass bed the action. Then I will post results. I am a little disappointed that CZ seats their barrels so tight in the barrel channel. But anyway I think this is the best place to start. Thanks for all your help.

We experienced that when our fairly new barrel became copper fouled. You can't scrub that stuff out and it takes about three days of Butches Bore Shine to remove it chemically. Just keep putting wet patches through it until no green comes out.

I've offered to buy many .17 HMR's with the same problem as I know a complete cleaning will fix the issues. The only other thing that has killed accuracy for us is loose stock/action bolts or supporting the barrel on a rest. Don't let anything touch that barrel! Both problems will trash your accuracy.

Flash

my savage, likes to run dirty. It takes about 25 rounds after just a boresnake before it starts driving tacks again....Try different ammo, I bought a box of each to try and found one or two that it really likes. I only run a bore snake when accuracy starts to fall off. I still have yet to do a full on cleaning of the barrel and it still shoots great after 1000 rounds.

I know of someone else in my area that shoots a marlin 17hmr, but his needs to be clean to shoot well...

you might just have to figure out which.

personally I would try more ammo and run a couple hundred down the bore and see what happens. After about 200 rounds after I bought the rifle, groups tightened up some more....

last thing....check to make sure you have rifling in your barrel....don't ask me how I know that might be an issue!
smile.gif

Just heard a few comments about bore snakes. In regards to using a bore snake on a new barrel, just keep in mind that bore snakes do not act in the same way that a cleaning rod and brush do. Bore snakes are more for field use in the event of getting crud stuck in the barrel.

This advice has been given to me by guys that have used them and firearms dealers as well... so you might just want to look at that IF your using a bore snake on a barrel that requires a good cleaning.

MrMojo, it may be that the barrel is just new. This doesnt really explain the scattered pattern but new barrels can require a pack of ammo to get them right.

my marlin likes the 20's better than the 17's although at 200 the 17's still held under 3 inches groupings