• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 HMR scope suggestion

Mjolnir23

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2012
I recently ordered a Savage 93R17 TRR-SR, and now I am currently hung up on what to do for an optic. I have been debating taking my Leupold MK IV LRT 3.5-10x40 off my AR/SPR and replacing it with a Burris XTR II(that's a lot of abbreviations), then throwing the Leupold on the Savage. I guess my main question is... Would there be a cheaper or better alternative without breaking the bank on this? I am able to get Burris's military discount if they still offer it, so I would be paying around 500ish for the XTR I have my eyes on. I thought it would be a good sanity check to put it out there before I went through with anything. Let me know what you think, any information is appreciated.

My CZ452 in 17HMR wears a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 with side focus. Honestly, it is a little too much for prairie dogs out the truck window but good for plinking out to 200 yards or so. Since prairie dogs are a once a year thing with me and I rarely shoot the gun otherwise I am just going to stick with it. The Buckmaster line is now out of production but the new Prostaff is supposed to be its replacement.

It would mainly be for hunting small game and target shooting. I don't think I would need anything over 10 or 12x mag.

I was looking at that Cabela's scope online earlier but I thought it looked a little risky.