• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Edub33

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2020
Hey folks - looking for a semi auto rimfire to help eradicate some varmints in South Texas and some plinking.

Does anyone have any experience with a Volquartsen Superlite 17 HMR vs a Savage Arms A17? Is the VQ worth the extra $1k?

A Dead Air Mask will be going on it. Will either have issues cycling with a can? If I’m swayed towards the A17 I’d like to cut the barrel down (legally). Any thoughts out there?

I've had the A17 for about 6 years. It is really a tack driver and was used under 100 yards in the Florida forests. It's a very tight shooting rifle even with an el cheapo 3-12 scope. I don't recall ever having a jam or any failure to fire. My only real complaint is the rotary magazine. The center is a red plastic that wears down after several hundred rounds. Maybe after market mags would solve that.

Reactions: Edub33
Don't know about adding a suppressor to either of those setups, but my experience with the Savage A17 was horrible. Would jam every 3-4 shots. Sent to back to Savage and then it would jam every 4-5 shots. Piece of crap! But some are lucky with that gun.

Try to find a Garrows Developement AR upper in 17hmr. He sold the rights to the design to Inland Manufacturing according to https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/14-new-guns-for-2022/ but I don't see the upper on Inland's site yet.

Quote:
These gas operated uppers use a patented ball bearing lock-up design developed by Michael Garrow. The SLT action is designed to prevent firing unless the action is fully closed so as to avoid the dangers of ruptured cases that occur with some blow-back operated action designs.

Reactions: Edub33