• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.17 hornet optic selection- help

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
I’m picking up a .17 hornet this week and I’m debating what to put on top. First off I guess I should explain what I’m planning on using h rifle for, I’ll be hunting coyote and fox (mostly fox around my area) out to 300 yards, I will be closer hopefully if it’s a coyote.

I’m looking at a swfa 3-9 hd first but I was worried about the lack of an adjustable parallax, I calculated the maximum amount of parallax at 100 yds with a 125m set parallax and it’s not too bad.

Ideally I want a optic around or under 20 oz
42 mm or close to that size obj
3-9/3-15 mag range
And durable/reliable tracking

I can tell you about my scopes. I’m not a Vortex fanboy, but I am drawn to their reticles.

I have a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x50 SFP with the G4 reticle on an AR. It’s pretty awesome but I admit I haven’t taken it out hunting yet. That’s right around 20.5 oz. Not a dialing scope as the turrets are mushy.

On the CZ 17 Hornet Varmint I have a Razor LHT 4.5-22 FFP. Too much mag for you, but keep it in mind for other things. 21.7 oz. Same turrets as above.

Finally if you have the budget, the Razor 1-10 FFP is awfully nice, especially if you need a close shot. Nuclear bright center dot. 21.5 oz. Its turrets are both capped, but are pretty decent feeling.

I’m not a dialer (yet), so I can’t give you any feedback on tracking, and I am not real hard on my gear. I shoot mainly pdog and other small critters. Would like to try coyote hunting but don’t have contacts (or much time).

I hear good things about the most recent Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 (older ones might have had some optical issues). But it’s 28.3 oz for the FFP version. I’m sure others will chime in.

Reactions: Joko111
I can tell you about my scopes. I’m not a Vortex fanboy, but I am drawn to their reticles.

I have a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x50 SFP with the G4 reticle on an AR. It’s pretty awesome but I admit I haven’t taken it out hunting yet. That’s right around 20.5 oz. Not a dialing scope as the turrets are mushy.

On the CZ 17 Hornet Varmint I have a Razor LHT 4.5-22 FFP. Too much mag for you, but keep it in mind for other things. 21.7 oz. Same turrets as above.

Finally if you have the budget, the Razor 1-10 FFP is awfully nice, especially if you need a close shot. Nuclear bright center dot. 21.5 oz. Its turrets are both capped, but are pretty decent feeling.

I’m not a dialer (yet), so I can’t give you any feedback on tracking, and I am not real hard on my gear. I shoot mainly pdog and other small critters. Would like to try coyote hunting but don’t have contacts (or much time).

I hear good things about the most recent Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 (older ones might have had some optical issues). But it’s 28.3 oz for the FFP version. I’m sure others will chime in.
I’ve never used a vortex but I do have a Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42… that mag range is perfect but it’s sitting on another rifle right now, I’m looking at the accupoint currently but I’ll check that 1-10 out

That 1-10 is specatular. Good rundown here:

Btw what brand hornet? Now that CZ 527’s are no more, not many makers left in that caliber.

There are a couple on gb right now, one has a beautiful stock
I got one way before the current madness, but thanks. I think it was $750-ish brand new.

I did, however, fall prey to a CZ 527 221 Fireball with great wood last week. Haven’t gotten it yet. Paid twice the new price. Might replace my 17 Hornet as I think it’ll be more pleasant to load and to clean.

What am I saying? I’ll probably never sell it lol.

Man, CZ was dumb for canceling that lineup and then under-engineering their 600 lineup. What a fail.

Reactions: Basher
Sorry to detrail your thread, but holy smokes you weren’t kidding on that CZ 17 Hornet on Gunbroker. What a stock!

4A697C61-7AB2-4CEA-9D54-400202C98E84.jpeg

Wow! A beautiful piece of wood on that one!

I keep considering a .17, but my 221 Fireball shoots 3/8” @ 100y so it is hard to change.
.17’s are fussy to clean, you know? Whippy thin cleaning rods. And loading 17 hornets with that rimmed case sort of sucks, and they feed a bit janky. Loading and feeding 22 hornets are no problem for me, however. Must be the cartridge’s shape.

Ballistically it’s a wash between 221 FB and 17H out to 300yds, even with wind. At 400 the 17H pulls away but man I would hesitate shooting anything but a rodent out that far with a 17H.

17 FB is a fair bit better than both; that’s where I’d go if you like factory 17’s. Get a new barrel on your 221 and away you go.

Reactions: Joko111 and Modoc
.17’s are fussy to clean, you know? Whippy thin cleaning rods. And loading 17 hornets with that rimmed case sort of sucks, and they feed a bit janky. Loading and feeding 22 hornets are no problem for me, however. Must be the cartridge’s shape.

Ballistically it’s a wash between 221 FB and 17H out to 300yds, even with wind. At 400 the 17H pulls away but man I would hesitate shooting anything but a rodent out that far with a 17H.

17 FB is a fair bit better than both; that’s where I’d go if you like factory 17’s. Get a new barrel on your 221 and away you go.
Right now, I’m operating on the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” theory. My REM 700 Classic runs just fine, besies I don’t have to stock another bullet. 🥴

I found it in stock when I was looking for a 222 REM. Since I already had an XP100 and TC Contender in 221 Fireball, it was an easy decision.

3.5-10x40 leupold vx3 if you plan on night shooting. TMR is ok. The basic mil dot was better.

If you’re shooting at night big scopes with a bunch of extra shit on them are just a headache. Keep it simple.

Also 17 Hornet isn’t very reliable on coyotes. Good broadsides they work ok. Otherwise it sucks.

Where the 17 Hornet shines is jack rabbits and rock chucks.

I originally had a Burris 4.5-14X Fullfield on my CZ Varmint .17 Hornet I later swapped it for a 6.5-20X Vari-X III Leupold that I had laying around. The Leupold has the Varmint Hunters reticle which I like too.