• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 hornet.

bubbala

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2014
has anyone had any luck reloading it? details please. powder,primer ,bullet?T.I.A.

I have had some luck with it. Accurate 2200 at 13 grains and a 20 grain vmax. Use a cci 450 or Remington 7.5 primer. Another good powder for the hornet is cfe BLK

Saubier's website has a treasure trove of sub caliber data. 17 Ackley Hornet data will also get you pretty close with the 17H. That being said, remember, these are small cases, minute differences matter.

I tried H335 and H4198 before settling on CFE-BLK. A1680 is almost as good. For my CZ527 Varmint the Berger 25 HPFB are the most accurate. I use Remington 6.5 primers as that primer was designed for the 22 Hornet. You want a primer that doesn't over power the powder.

David

Reactions: TheCZKid
The Hornady factory ammo shoots pretty good but it will pierce primers. This is why I go with the harder primer such as a 7.5 rem.

Reactions: TheCZKid
I shot quite a bit of the factory ammo when I was trying to figure out my load and I needed the brass. Never once pierced a primer. Since I don’t run hot hand loads I have never pierced one of the Remington 6.5 primers either

David

I have been loading it for a couple of years now. I personally don't find it anymore difficult to load than any other cartridge. I do use a Hornady new dimension seating die which I believe is easier to start the bullet with. But I use the RCBS sizing die.

I started out loading the Hornady 25 gr hp. In the past year I have been using the 25 gr HP from the woodchuck den, which if I remember correctly is a boat tail.

Any updates on recipes? I recently acquired a CZ 527 that shoots factory Hornady loads very well, but I can't find any loadings that are worth a damn. Has been one of the more challenging cartridges for me. Using Hornady dies, FWIW.

Last edited:
Any updates on recipes? I recently acquired a CZ 527 that shoots factory Hornady loads very well, but I can't find any loadings that are worth a damn. Has been one of the more challenging cartridges for me. Using Hornady dies, FWIW.
Might try using 17 Ackley Hornet load data and working up. H4198 used to be a go to load IIRC. It's been years since I formed and shot 17AH.

AA-2200, 1680, CFE blk as noted above.
Pick a primer and top it with a V-Max or other good bullet.

Otherwise, follow PMI's advice and head over to www.saubier.com.

Great little cartridge in a perfect sized action.

My best load is 15.5 NTX bullet, 12.5 CFE-BLK with Rem 6.5 primer. Loaded to the same length as Hornady loads them.

David

Thanks all. Best load I've had was with 20gr VMAX with 12.1 of 1680, but again not as good as factory stuff. WIll give your suggestions a try.

One additional point i found. When i started out i loaded mine .020 off the lands but when i saw how good the factory ones shot especially the 15.5 I measured the COAL. They were jumping a long way so i seated my next loads to be the same as Hornady. Low and behold my groups got better. So i have left the same length since. They seem to like the jump. Mine is a 527 varmint.

David