• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 Mach2 Available Again

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
I have been intrigued by the 17 Mach2 for some time now. Mainly because I had seen the Eley ammo for it. Until recently, finding any ammo for a Mach2 was like searching for hen's teeth. This was a deterrent to my wanting to buy one of the rifles.

However, since the new year, I have noticed two things: After Trump became President the shortages of 22 ammo seemed to disappear. And 17 Mach2 ammo suddenly re-appeared on the shelves. Even my secret match ammo supplier is now carrying the Hornady ammo in 17 Mach2. I could see this as a great compromise between the 22lr and the 17hmr for small critters such as squirrel, rabbit, rats, etc. I know that I could just load stingers into one of my 22's and likely be more effective, but I have found stingers to be less than precision accurate in my hunting rifles.

Question: Do any of you lad's own or have experience with the 17 Mach2? and what was its inherent accuracy compared to say a 17hmr or a 22lr hunting rig?

Irish

The stuff is deadly accurate, without doubt. Then again it should be since it's premium production by a reputable maker. The extra velocity over 22lr takes a lot of guesswork out of shots within 100 yd. The only downside is plinking. First, it's a little pricey to burn up like you'd want to and second, there's a lack of satisfaction with reactionary targets such as aluminum cans or clay targets. They just get hit and sit there. On gophers, rabbits etc there's no comparison to 22lr. Accurate and explosive.
On the other hand I like dealing with the trajectory of the 22lr but I'm a long way from selling my 17HM2.

Love the mach2 shot thousands of rounds at prairie dogs and rabbits and such. really wish it would have taken off more than the hmr.

I have a CZ hm2 and hands down it is my favorite squirrel rifle. Very very accurate. One of my friends uses an hmr and it tends to destroy the meat. With the hm2 I wait til they quit scampering around and take head shots. Very flat and accurate for what I ask it to do.

I also have the CZ and the Marlin heavy barrel HM2. Both are great for squirrel. I use the Eley ammo. Bought a lot when it was less expensive. Enjoy a great caliber.

I have a CZ hm2 and hands down it is my favorite squirrel rifle. Very very accurate. One of my friends uses an hmr and it tends to destroy the meat. With the hm2 I wait til they quit scampering around and take head shots. Very flat and accurate for what I ask it to do.

Yes, My HMR does do a lot of damage. But I tend to take head shots also. Since I don't eat the head this is acceptable, but very messy. Using the heavier bullets slows them down enough to make it tolerable. But I would still like to get a Mach-2 and try it. I was not aware that CZ made their rifles in Mach-2.

The CZ model I picked up is the 452 American. Bought it and 3 bricks of Eley in 2012. Around the same time I bought a 452 American in 22 lr. Both of these rimfires are little hammers. The only rimfire I have that eats their lunch is an AMT Custom Shop Challenge Edition that I had made a long time ago. My only complaint was I felt the triggers were a little rough and my gunsmith corrected that easily. The Mach 2 stood head and shoulders over the 22 for putting squirrels in the pot. I've run some of the Hornady ammo thru it and it's a close second to the Eley out of mine at 50 yards. It's a great little cartridge.

Mine is also the CZ 452 American. Definitely a squirrel shooter. I got the Marlin when I couldn't find the Ruger 77/17 in a heavy barrel.

The 17m2 is my favorite rimfire.
I'm glad to see it becoming available. Imho it has the accuracy of the hmr with less noise, less barrel heat, etc.
A semi auto 17m2 in a ground squirrel or PD field is the most fun you can have without being arrested : )