• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 mach2 or 17 HMR

cj1026

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Repulik of Commieforniastan
Hey guys I was in the gun shop the other day buying my son a .22 for his birthday. They had a few 17 mach2 and 17HMR's. I would really like to pick up a rifle in this caliber but which one is the better round?

Re: 17 mach2 or 17 HMR

For hunting the 17hmr is superior but starts to run out of energy past 150Y.17hm2 is an expensive plinker.I think it's more of a novelty cartridge,just something different to buy and shoot for the fun of it.Acceptable for rabbit's and small game out to 50-75 yards.I shot a cottontail at 125Y once with a 17hm2 rifle and it ran off into it's hole.

After having experienced both 17's I sold them seeing no real advantage and bought a some high grade 22's that are 1/2inch at 50Y guns and use them mostly for target and steel with Wolf ammo.

Straying off your question but a 17 Remington or the 17 Rem fireball would be much more fun,IMO

Steve

I would go with the 17 HMR. It shoots faster, so it will buck wind better and shoot flatter. Accuracy-wise, I have a Marlin 917VS that averages .8 MOA or so at 100 yards. I know that they vary quite a bit, but sub-MOA is pretty much standard with these guns. I paid around $300 for that gun.

I think that the advantage for the 17M2 is that Eley makes the ammo and they have a reputation for making some pretty high quality stuff. With the 17 HMR, all of the ammo is made by CCI and just marketed under different brands.

Another advantage is the 17M2 will work in a Ruger 20/22. They no longer make a magnum version of the the 20/22, so no semi-auto.

For what you want it for, I think the 17 is a great choice... it has a little more kick than a .22, so it is a nice stair step to a center-fire and will get you to 100 yards better than a .22 will.

I have both, .17m2 and the .17hmr.

I run my .17m2 more then my .17hmr. Way cheaper to shoot. You can find M2 ammo on the net for $3.50-$4.00 a box. Try find HMR ammo for that. Hell, anymore try finding HMR ammo for $10.00 a box. Our local stores want $12-25 a box for HMR ammo. F that!

Everything I've shot with my .17m2 has went down. Muskrats, rabbits, raccoons, and crows.

As much as I love the HMR, the M2 does everything I need it to do and it's cheaper to run.

I would go with the .22 L.R if it were me. The reason being cost of ammo and it will do everything you need it to do. Use stingers or some hyper vel. for game and cheap ammo for plinking. I have a .17 HMR and do not shoot it(ammo hard to find and expensive) but it is a sizzling little gun. My .17 HMR is very accurate. Everyone has an opinion but you have to look at ammo availability and cost. .17 M2 cost more than .22 lr but it depends on what you want, Your Buying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the .22 L.R if it were me. The reason being cost of ammo and it will do everything you need it to do. Use stingers or some hyper vel. for game and cheap ammo for plinking. I have a .17 HMR and do not shoot it(ammo hard to find and expensive) but it is a sizzling little gun. My .17 HMR is very accurate. Everyone has an opinion but you have to look at ammo availability and cost. .17 M2 cost more than .22 lr but it depends on what you want, Your Buying. </div></div>

17 is expensive in any flavor, the HMR runs about 14 bucks per 50 at my local walmarts. They have always had at least2, but usually 3-4 different loadings and brands on the shelf.

If you want to have me grab some for you, just lemme know where to ship it and send me the money, I can grab it whenever. The flat rate USPS box for $5 will hold about 10 of the little 50 round boxes I think.

17hm2 or 22LR. Buying for a kid means you are gonna be using alot of ammo, and I doubt that you seriously will be stretching the distance far enough for the HMR to be worth all the extra money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm the guy on the Hide who has claimed at barely missing a 401 yard prairie dog on still day here in South Dakota. Alot people have a hard time believing it, I stand by what I say. For a $280 total package on my 17HMR, it's by far one of the best all around guns I've ever purchased. Is it a magical cartridge? NO!, but with solid practice, is a great if anything truck gun, let alone varmint gun. </div></div>

I actually believe you. I've heard about using it to punch paper at 300 on a calm day, but I used it saturday to tag a 400y silohuette. When it was windy I couldn't hit the plate, I wasn't even on the burm, but when it was calm the bullets all fell relatively center mass. If it was a woodchuck I wouldn't try for a headshot, but a still day and a shoulder shot is certainly possible.

You can definitely find cheaper 22LR ammo. I run both a 22LR and a 17HMR and my 22LR ammo costs more than my 17... yes, it is Eley, but that is what it takes to match my 17 at 100 yards.

Now for a kid, sure, you can spend $5 for 50 and have him shoot to his heart's content... better to do it with open sights and at 50 yards or less.

Honestly, for the range issue alone, these guns are not comparable. My 22LR will kill my 17HMR at 50 yards, even with a little wind. The 17HMR ammo is good but not great and results in occasional "mystery fliers." At 100 yards, even with the mystery fliers, it bucks wind a little better because of the higher velocity. Past 100, there is no contest.

Terminal ballistics are better on the 17HMR. Try shooting Coke cans full of water with the 17HMR hollow points... fun stuff! For varmint shooting, the 17HMR is better than 22LR UNLESS you want to keep the pelts in which case, the 22LR will do a better job of preserving the hide.

To each his own. I have shot both, neither is cheap. The HMR is alive, the M2 appears to be fading.
I had the bug, ended up buying a 221FB which I can shoot for about the same price (as long as my "cheap" primer supply holds anyway)

Get a nice CZ 452 22LR put a decent scope and voila!.....You have your plinker that you can shoot for cheap and do some great short range varmit hunting with some hot CCI stingers. I have done a chest shot on a crow at 72 yards and it dropped like a bad habit. If I want performance up to 200 yards then I grab my Savage 17 HMR stainless barrel with the acu-trigger. The 17 HMR is fairly available where I am and I have been stocking up for some time now. The price is still between $11.98-$12.98 here but I havent bought for the past two weeks.... I don't really see the advantage of the Mach 2 since the 22 LR with stingers does so well and you can always find 22LR ammo....Mach 2 is rairly available here.....I would venture that the Mach2 will not make it concerning demand and sales.... Mach2 owners, I would recommend buying some and putting back if you intend on keeping your Mach2 fed..... The plus to the 17HMR is that it is the cheapest way to shoot up to 200 yards very well. The next most widely accepted round is the 204 but it's cost is significantly higher than the 17HMR and it's a handloaders sweetheart. The 17 HMR has it's perfect little nitch....Best bang for the buck @ up to 200 yards. Have fun with your choices......These are my opinions...Not trying to ruffle feathers though.......It's all good.......SmokeRolls

I really like my 17 HMR...it is a tack driver...but it is all relative as to what to buy. I have multilple 22lr's which are less expensive to shoot but don't have the accuracy of my 17 HMR. I would choose the 17 HMR over the mach 2 based on ammo availability alone. I seem to find more options for purchasing 17 HMR ammo than mach 2.

It's all been said, but I'll cast my vote for the HMR. I think it is an awesone rimfire and a great addition to the 22LR and 22WMR. I have all three and use all three for different purposes. The HM2 is the one cartridge that I just can't find a niche for. It's a neat novelty cartridge, but doesn't fill any place that the other 3 don't already fill better. I'd also be worried about the future of the cartridge, and ending up with an orphaned rifle.

Teryx

All depends on what you use it for. For slightly longer ranges the HMR beats the M2.
But in my back yard, for dispatching unwanted visitors the little M2 quitely delivers enough accuracy and energy with very little chance of ricocet.
When the ammo is gone a barrel swap will make another 22lr.
If shooting long range choose a nice centerfire.

17HMR and 17HM2, (as well as .22HMR), are expensive attempts to make the .22LR into something it never really needed to be. I think that jacketed bullet technology is great, but maybe somewhat wasted on a rimfire cartridge.

I looked with great interest on the 17HM2 when it first came out, thinking it would fit very nicely into a switch-barrel scenario for my 10/22. Then I learned that the mods don't stop there, recoil issues require other mods.

So thanks, Hornady, but no cigar. Ammo costs and technical complexities simply price it out of my range of interests.

I have a number of .22LR's, a .222, and a .223, and can control the ammo issues better with the centerfire cartridges. I just can't see the advantages behind spending a good bit more to shoot a rifle with which I'm constrained to use factory ammo; when my existing resources cover the same bases well enough.

Get the .22LR. It's been the Grand Master of youth rifle learning applications for probably better than a century now, and nothing currently available would seem to be threatening its reign.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">17HMR and 17HM2, (as well as .22HMR), are expensive attempts to make the .22LR into something it never really needed to be.</div></div>

Maybe you meant to make a 22WMR into something it never intended to be?

I have heard the .223 reloaded being comparable in ammo cost to the 17 HMR. True. The advantage of the 17 HMR is low startup costs. $300 for the gun $300 for the scope, go to Wal-mart and buy a box of ammo for $13 and you are ready to go.

Reloading is another argument. Get your gun and your scope. Now buy bullets. Now buy brass. Now buy primers. Now buy gunpowder. Buy them all in bulk to bring the cost per shot down. Oh... and now buy a press, dies, tumbler, chamferer, charger, etc, etc, etc. Now read at least 3 books on reloading, seek advice. 6 months and over a grand later you are ready to start saving money.

For someone who wanted to go buy a gun and go plinking or varmint hunting, the 17HMR is a very cheap way to get in the game. It is accurate at ranges that the 22LR cant get to. Off-the-shelf centerfires are still more expensive than a box of 17HMR shells.

Based on the OP's comments, it did not really sound like he was interested in reloading for his son's gun. I might be mistaken.

If you are already in the reloading game, adding a .223 to the collection is not tough. In that case, sure, sub out some of the center-fire 22 variants for HMR. If you are interesting at getting sub-MOA out of the box at 100 yards and an effective range of 250 - 300 yards for $300 and aren't really interested in reloading for it, I am trying to figure out how it is deficient.

Don't get me wrong. I have a .22LR and love to shoot it. I also have a 17HMR and love to shoot it. Apart from being ignited by striking the rim, there is not a lot that these two cartridges share in common. It is like comparing 308WIN to 338LM. Different cartridges for different purposes. Go beyond 1,000 yards and my money is on 338LM. Below that, 308 holds its own.

I have a savage 17hmr with the accutrigger. It is a sweet tack driver. At 75 yards I can hit .22 casings taped to the target. I have the thumbhole stock as well and it is gorgeous!

One other option is a Sako Quad. It is a switch barrel from the factory and runs about $450 for a synthetic and barrels are running about $200 when you can find them. I can shoot 22LR, 22WRM, 17HM2, and 17HMR all out of the same gun and it tis a shooter.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One other option is a Sako Quad. It is a switch barrel from the factory and runs about $450 for a synthetic and barrels are running about $200 when you can find them. I can shoot 22LR, 22WRM, 17HM2, and 17HMR all out of the same gun and it tis a shooter.

Pat </div></div>

Hey Pat I've heard great reviews about that. I gotta try one of those. It's funny, the 17 is the smallest caliber I have, but it is just so much fun to shoot!

I recently purchased a marlin 917VS 17.hmr and it shoots like a doll. I am in Id. working and have been disenergrating rock chucks. I like them alot better than my 10/22.

I have a 17HMR and my son shoots a 17M2. They are great on prairie dogs and gophers with the HMR giving a reliable fifty yard increase in range.

They should be view this way IMHO. The 17HMR is a 22Hornet without the reloading hassles, but only got sub 4 to 6 pound targets.

The 17M2 extends the range of the 22rf on the same targets by 100 yards over the 22rf.

I see a lot of Montana cowboys with the 17M2 (Think cheap to shoot, they don't make much $) but east of the Missouri, it's really pretty worthless. At least the 17HMR is good for fox's and other smaller predators.

Guys thanks for all the in put. I bought a Crickett .22 for the boy and picked up the Savage 93R17-FV 17hmr for my self. I have 2 10/22 and a few .223 rifles so I think this will be a nice addition to the gang. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.

I own a Sako Quad with the 22 and 17 mach 2. I prefer the 17 mach 2 because the accuracy is slightly better than the 22. This rifle is my practice rifle for 1000 yard matches. Since the bullet is so small wind and heat affect it's flight at 100 yards. This allows me to practice my mirage/wind adjustments. It's also fun to shoot. the CCI ammo costs around $6.50ish for 50 rounds. The HMR is higher. For practice shooting it's great. If you're a hunter go for the 17 HMR. It's more powerful and accurate. Just my thoughts.

If your shooting is going to be under 100yds I vote 17hm2. As long as you do your part the 17hm2 will work perfect on small game.

Here is a 5shot group @100yds with my $79.98 pre (accutrigger)Clearance savage mark2.
345zmfk.jpg

15zpmr7.jpg

5mlavk.png

11tl9x3.png

(ballistic data off of varmint als)
Is it as powerful as the 17hmr, No that is like comparing the 22lr to a 22mag.
Does it still have sufficient knock down for small game, yes.

17M2 vs the 17HMR is 2100 fps vs 2600 fps, which is 80 yards with the 17 gr Vmax bullet used in both.

The 17M2 suffers an image problem from being able to hit a prairie dog further out than it can kill it.

The 17HMR cannot hit them that far out there.

They both kill ground squirrels if they hit them.

22LR is ~ 4 cents/ round [~ 80 yards]
17M2 is ~15 cents/ round [~ 120 yards]
22mag is ~ 22 cents/ round [~ 120 yards]
17HMR is ~30 cents/round [~ 150 yards]
223 is ~ 45 cents/ round [~250 yards]
223 reload ~ 17 cents/ round [~250 yards]

18 months ago, they cost about half that.

I have all these guns and ammo, but I only have the reamer for 22RF, 17M2, and .223.

This might open a bucket of worms about safety etc, but I just had to have a .17HMR in a semi. Looked for quite awhile, even thought about purchasing a 10/22 mag and converting it, they want about 700 to 800 for one of those now, found a Volquartsen at Rimfire Sports, for a mear $1,400, Have not fired yet a we are having a small blizzard here in Wyoming. But what a beautiful rifle!!!

17 HMR. Don't listen to those hwo would try and steer you to a 22lr as a replacement unless all you're doing is plinking at 50 yards. If you plan to hunt at all, the HMR crushes the 22lr.

Even target shooting the 17 HMR is much more fun. It actually behaves like a centerfire out to about 150 yards or so. The 22lr stops acting like a centerfire as soon as the trigger is squeezed. The mach2 doesn't even to begin to act like a centerfire.

If you're set on one of the rimfire 17s, go with the HMR. It's hands down my favorite rifle right now.

I have a 17hmr Savage and i love her to bits.

Yes the ammo is a little expensive, but when your spending top dollars on building a long range precision shooter, the price difference doesn't really compare.

I know im probably going to get flamed for this but im going to say it anyway...

I was out hunting with a few mates a couple of weeks back. Out here in Australia we have feral goats and they are considered a pest species and we are free to shoot them. At the time we were out looking for foxes. We walked up a forgiving hill for about half an hour and just camped it. I noticed a nice looking goat about 75 meters ahead of me. The bipod came out and i lined up for the shot. The tiny little 17hmr round entered from just behind the shoulder, penetrating both lungs and totally shattering the heart. The goat dropped instantly.

I know that this is NOT the type of round that you want to go out with to shoot goats or game of that size, however the opportunity was there and i did take it. Mind you, had i missed or the animal run, there would have been a .270 projectile headed its way.

What im trying to say is, for such a small round it has a lot of potential regarding both accuracy and lethality on small game within 150 meters. Yes the projectile may only be 17 to 20 grains, however the trauma caused to this goat was massive.

Upon preparing the meat i noticed large areas of bruising/Hemorrhaging. The rib area with the entry wound has a bruise the size of a dinner plate, with both lungs and heart shredded. The opposing side rib cage suffered large amounts of trauma from this little frangible round opening up and transfering lots of energy inside this goat.

Another reason that i love this round so much is that it seems to transfer more energy to the target than a lot of the .22wmr's that i have shot. This may be debatable im no expert however it appears that the 17hmr is also less prone to ricochet

Spot on figures here.
I use my M2 for woods squirrels - it is awesome.
Many kills over 100 - It's a regional thing.
What where you hunt decides.
The M2 upsets the woods alot less than even a 22.
Grouping blows away any hyper 22 and if they had
QC for runout would really shine.
Sako Finn (Lilja M2)
Anz 1702
Rem 510 relined

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">17M2 vs the 17HMR is 2100 fps vs 2600 fps, which is 80 yards with the 17 gr Vmax bullet used in both.

The 17M2 suffers an image problem from being able to hit a prairie dog further out than it can kill it.

The 17HMR cannot hit them that far out there.

They both kill ground squirrels if they hit them.

22LR is ~ 4 cents/ round [~ 80 yards]
17M2 is ~15 cents/ round [~ 120 yards]
22mag is ~ 22 cents/ round [~ 120 yards]
17HMR is ~30 cents/round [~ 150 yards]
223 is ~ 45 cents/ round [~250 yards]
223 reload ~ 17 cents/ round [~250 yards]

18 months ago, they cost about half that.

I have all these guns and ammo, but I only have the reamer for 22RF, 17M2, and .223. </div></div>