• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 Rem bullet stability

Deets

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2020
I have acquired a 17 Rem in 700 BDL.
It has a 24” barrel, don’t currently know the twist rate. I have lots of factory Remington ammo in 25 and 20 grain.
Curious how far you can consistently push these little guys?

The 20gr peter out fast because the BC is quite low, maybe by 400Y??? and they will blow in the wind a lot??
25gr will do a little better. I've seen pics of guys hitting steel at 500Y with the Vmax but it was an improved 17R version.
I used the Kindler 30gr Golds with .28BC in my 9 twist and those actually are quite impressive at 550Y, we shot them at 675Y but it was hard to spot hits on the steel.

Reactions: Deets
Maybe when I start reloading I’ll try some heavier ones. My son loves shooting it.

Any of you have any idea where to find brass? That is the only thing that turns me off, otherwise I think .17 cal stuff is very cool.

Any of you have any idea where to find brass? That is the only thing that turns me off, otherwise I think .17 cal stuff is very cool.
I’ll just be using factory once fired.

If you can't find 17 Rem brass, it can be made from 222 Mag and 204 Ruger.

Run the 204 into a 223 die to set the shoulder angle and position.

From there you can run it into the seater die to bring it to approx 18 caliber then send it through your FL sizer.
Voilá, you have 17 Remington.
Worst case scenario, make it from 223. It'll be a bit short in the neck but it works.

Reactions: jLorenzo
If you want to dabble in a 17, try the .17 rem fireball. Basically a .221 fireball necked down. Ive bought a few hundred pieces of new Nosler brass in the last few weeks. Nicer quality than the remington I used to buy. Uses about 25% less powder for 95% of the velocity of the 17 rem. The 17 rem is a dang hotrod though.

Reactions: steve123
Hornady is all there is correct?
497C6E72-5C3A-4AD8-A631-7C507538A457.jpeg

Reactions: jLorenzo
The early rem700 17rem were 10twist then they switched them to 9.

I shoot 30grn nagels. They kill coyotes very well. Nothing like the 20-25grn we use to shoot fox with back in the day.

Deano

Reactions: Deets
If you reload do a 17-223, 17 tactical, 17 fireball for a slower option or hot rod a 17-204 with the 30gr stuff even another called 17 predator. Good info on saubier.com.

Last edited: