• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 REM or 17 FIREBALL

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    I wanting to build a small bore rifle so i can shot light bullets fast. It will be used just for PDogs and groundhogs and maybe coyotes. Does anyone have one of these? What is the distance on them? How well do they shot? What is barrle life on them or should i do a 1/12 twist 223?

Re: 17 REM or 17 FIREBALL

don't have an AR in any of those cals , I have a bolt rifle in 17 Rem and 17MK4 and their both awsome little rounds , if its for the AR I'd probably just run the 223 with light bullets if the range isin't gonna be to far , you can run a 40gr V-max from a 16" AR at over 3200fps pretty easy.

I tell ya though my favorite rund for a hunting gun on the RA is a 6mm-223 , very effecient easy on barrel and you can run a 55gr bullet out of them (has higher BC than a 55gr 223 bullet) at over 3K

Thier are some guys that have built some 22BR and 6mmBR's on the AR as well as the PPC case.

the 20 Tactical is another option as well as the 204 Ruger

Well im not really a big fan of the 204 Ruger i had one about a year ago. It played hell on the pdogs. But i want something a little different.

I have a bone stock 17 Rem, but I can't really answer which is better or the barrel life. I use mine mainly for groundhog hunting in areas that I can't afford a ricochet. I'm using the 20gr V-Max and pushing it to about 4200 fps, IIRC. At 100yds, it will typically hold 1/2 MOA, but I did have to tinker with the load for a while to get it to shoot that consistently. Again though, it's a factory rifle. That little bullet at that speed simply disintegrates if it hits anything whatsoever. I've whacked groundhogs with it out to about 250 yds with no problem. Funny thing is that I never see an exit wound, and really have to look hard for the entry wound. It simply turns the hog's internals to jelly. No mess at all.

It's a really cool round but is a bit more difficult to load for. You'll need to buy another powder funnel and seating bullets is a bit of a challenge, especially when you first start. You'll also need a new cleaning rod and jags. My barrel fouls up pretty quickly and is quite evident in the groups when it does, but yours should be less if you're using a custom barrel. Just keep it clean. If you're gonna shoot long range with it, I'd go with a 1-9 twist to shoot the heavier 30gr bullets. Both Hornady and Berger have good bullets to choose from.

The 17 Rem is a really cool little round. A 223 loaded light is much more practical, but the 17 offer more of something different. It has some serious "crack" to it when you fire it, which surprised the hell out of me when I first shot it. Definitely not a quiet gun. Wind will play hell with it at long range though. I would recommend going for it if you have the interest.

That looks like a mean like rifle i may just stick with the 223 and do a 1/12 twist and shoot 40gr bullets.

I have two 17 Rem's. One is a custom bolt gun and the other is a AR with a upper built by WOA. Both shoot great, and are neat additions to my collection, but if I had it to do over, my money may have been better spent on a good 223 or two.

My only complaint is that new 17 Rem brass is running $40+/100 and is only offered by Remington. Even if you reload that's pretty spendy compared to 223. You can nearly get Lapua brass for that kind of money.

The 17FB or MK4 is a more efficient round, but again the brass isn't exactly cheap.

Unless you're hunting for pelts, and you're trying to avoid damage, I don't know that you gain anything going with the 17.

Have had a few 17 rems, recently a 17 fireball. Sold the fireball, as it just didn't have the magic "punch" of the standard 17 rem. If I was after mostly fox/furs, I'da kept the fireball. Found the remington listed ballistics to be way off with the 17FB. I recall the fb 25's chrono'ing at just over 3600.....vs the 25's out of the 17rem right around 4k. The 17rem zero'd an inch high at a hundred is zero'd @200 and 3" low at 300. The 17fb zero'd at 200, was around a foot low at 300.....with a 250yd zero it was 5" low at 300 (not near the laser type path of the straight up 17rem)
    300yd steel target, 17fb vs 17rem

Long range the 204 is great for smaller game but i want a little faster.

I think i just stick with the 223 then.